PDA

View Full Version : Field boot sizing question

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:59 PM
I hope someone can offer some advice! I am trying to get field boots, and am an unusual size - I'm a ladies 11, which is hard enough to find, and my calf seems to be between slim and regular! We won't even get into the fact that I also need talls...! Anyway, I can't afford customs, and I'm wondering which would be worse - getting slims which would be 1/4" too small in most brands, or getting a regular, which is about 3/4" too big in most brands? Would the slim cut off all my circulation, or would they eventually stretch? Is 3/4" MUCH too loose to even consider?

Thanks so much! It's hard for me to physically try on the various sizes because most tack shops don't even carry a woman's 11 in stock :(

Or maybe y'all can help me bombard Mountain Horse w/ emails to make their Supremes in an 11 slim, which would be _perfect_ for me, based on the 10 slim ;)

McVillesMom
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:04 PM
FWIW, Mountain Horse do tend to run big in the foot - don't know if that helps you at all? I normally wear a 9 1/2 - 10 shoe and I could get my foot into an 8 (it wasn't particularly comfortable, but I could get it on).

I think 3/4" is much too big to even consider. If you're talking about the Mountain Horse boots still, I've heard of people getting one of the elastic gussets removed - maybe also be a solution?

citydog
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
Check out a men's size 9. You might need to stick a pair of gel insoles in to take up room if they're a little wide, but the calves seem to run narrower.

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:09 PM
FWIW, Mountain Horse do tend to run big in the foot - don't know if that helps you at all? I normally wear a 9 1/2 - 10 shoe and I could get my foot into an 8 (it wasn't particularly comfortable, but I could get it on).

Ohhh, really? Hmmm - maybe I can call around and see if anyone has a size 10 slim in stock - other than the foot size, the width and height is perfect on those!

Yeah, I was worried that 3/4" would be too much of a gap. Hmm, though maybe I should see if any of the ones I've been looking at have gussets that could be taken out....

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:10 PM
Check out a men's size 9. You might need to stick a pair of gel insoles in to take up room if they're a little wide, but the calves seem to run narrower.

That's not a bad idea, actually! Well, assuming I can find men's anywhere ;) The riding manufacturers seem to ignore the tall girls and men! ;) Thanks!

Hunter Princess
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
I know how you feel...I'm an 11, with a wide calf and extra tall. I eventually went the way of customs, but I've had the most luck with getting men's boots.

Do the too small boots that you tried on have zippers in them? If they don't they can always stretch a little or have them stretched, or zippers added.

HandsomeRansom
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:10 PM
Ugh, I feel your pain.... my 13 year old that's leasing my horse is ready for tall boots.... the only problem.... she's 5'11, 100 lbs, and she has a size 11 foot, with a 12 and a half inch calf. Her parents can't afford customs.... so I'm at a loss right now!

tarynls
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:24 PM
Not sure what your price range is but Beval has their Puissance boot...comes in a ladies' size 11 with six different calf widths. I've seen them in person; the leather is custom-quality. Beautiful boots.

They are pricey at $850. but Beval has a 20% storewide sale every February which might help.

Here's some info - there is a link on the page for the sizing chart.

http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-Puissance-Field-Boots/4010013.aspx

Good Luck!
Taryn

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
I know how you feel...I'm an 11, with a wide calf and extra tall. I eventually went the way of customs, but I've had the most luck with getting men's boots.

Do the too small boots that you tried on have zippers in them? If they don't they can always stretch a little or have them stretched, or zippers added.

I've mainly been looking at ones w/ zippers (having the big foot and skinny calf makes it hard for me to get my giant foot down the leg otherwise!), but maybe I should look around to see how much adding a zipper would be to a slightly-too-small-non-zippered pair. At this point, that seems like one of my only options other than noncustom! Unless I can gain weight just in my calves ;)

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:14 PM
Ugh, I feel your pain.... my 13 year old that's leasing my horse is ready for tall boots.... the only problem.... she's 5'11, 100 lbs, and she has a size 11 foot, with a 12 and a half inch calf. Her parents can't afford customs.... so I'm at a loss right now!

Oh man - that was ME at 13! My family totally lucked out in finding used customs at our local tack store that fit me like they were _made_ for me - it was amazing! The tack store owner knew we were on the hunt and the minute they appeared, she called us. And they were mine for way cheaper than new stock boots. So maybe the family should let the local tack places know what they need and ask them to keep an eye out? Hmm, actually, maybe I should do that too..!!

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
Not sure what your price range is but Beval has their Puissance boot...comes in a ladies' size 11 with six different calf widths. I've seen them in person; the leather is custom-quality. Beautiful boots.

They are pricey at $850. but Beval has a 20% storewide sale every February which might help.

Here's some info - there is a link on the page for the sizing chart.

http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-Puissance-Field-Boots/4010013.aspx

Good Luck!
Taryn

Thanks, Taryn - even w/ the discount, they're beyond my budget, but perhaps by Feb I'll be so frustrated I'd be willing to spend that much! ;)

shoponee70
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:08 PM
ariat makes an 11 tall slim.. it would probably need to be ordered as im sure not many tack shops would keep that particular combo in stock, but the measurements on the tall 20.5 height 14 calf ....
they also do a tall 20.5 reg 15 calf....

i know the farm house usually keeps some 11's on hand b/c one of there staffers has an 11 foot..=) might be worth calling to see if they have something that might suit you? or could get it? 864-457-3557

but if i had to choose i would go w/ the regular and if it was really just to plain big and making me nuts, i would have a reputable cobbler cut it down some.. ... you can always take away, its alot harder to add leather you know?
just a thought..
happy hunting!

Hunter Princess
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:17 PM
You could always take the pair that is slightly too small and have new zippers put into them with a small elastic 'panel' at the back so it stretches and gives a little, which will afford you the extra room and not stress the zippers.

I saw the woman who runs the Mountain Horse at USEA Convention and told her that they really needed to do a size 11 and offer some more height options, since most of the time the stock height is fine at first, but after it drops down it's not enough.

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:06 AM
ariat makes an 11 tall slim.. it would probably need to be ordered as im sure not many tack shops would keep that particular combo in stock, but the measurements on the tall 20.5 height 14 calf ....
they also do a tall 20.5 reg 15 calf....

but if i had to choose i would go w/ the regular and if it was really just to plain big and making me nuts, i would have a reputable cobbler cut it down some.. ... you can always take away, its alot harder to add leather you know?
just a thought..
happy hunting!

Sadly, I can't wear Ariats - something about the footbed does weird things to me and gives me wicked foot cramps!

But the idea of getting a too-wide boot cut down a bit IS a good one, and I should do some research into how much something like that costs. Thanks!

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
You could always take the pair that is slightly too small and have new zippers put into them with a small elastic 'panel' at the back so it stretches and gives a little, which will afford you the extra room and not stress the zippers.

I saw the woman who runs the Mountain Horse at USEA Convention and told her that they really needed to do a size 11 and offer some more height options, since most of the time the stock height is fine at first, but after it drops down it's not enough.

That's also a very good plan! Thanks for the tip! I'll look into the cost of something like that too.

I've emailed Mountain Horse a few times (and "tweeted" back at them on Twitter) asking for more options in the size 11. It just makes no sense that a 10 has all the various sizings, but not the 11!

EquineRacers
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'd try the Mountain Horse Surpremes. They do not come with half sizes, but a bit bigger in the foot usually is just fine as long as the calf and height fit. I bought a size 9 foot that is has a 20" height and 13" calf, which fit me perfectly. I couldn't not get that sizing from anyother boot. And they are on sale right now at Dover for $449

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'd try the Mountain Horse Surpremes. They do not come with half sizes, but a bit bigger in the foot usually is just fine as long as the calf and height fit. I bought a size 9 foot that is has a 20" height and 13" calf, which fit me perfectly. I couldn't not get that sizing from anyother boot. And they are on sale right now at Dover for $449

I am going to try to find a tack store near me that carries the Supremes - I hear they run big, so maybe my giant foot will fit in a 10, which I could get in a slim. That'd be perfect - I lust after those boots!

MIKES MCS
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:33 AM
Go to your Local Tack store and ask them to contact the AMERICAN MADE BOOT CO. out of CA you can get FULL customs for under $500.00 with Zips..