PDA

View Full Version : Bridle Pieces to Match Hadfields

HowDoILook
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:08 PM
Are there any brands of bridles that are similarly colored to the Hadfield Bridles? I found 2 Hadfield nosebands that I would really like to get, but really don't have the money to buy a whole matching Hadfields bridle as well.

Thanks

BAC
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:18 PM
Beval's Heritage line is very similar in color although the Heritage bridle is square raised. I have seen Aramas bridles which seem to be similar in color to the Hadfields. My Edgewood is very dark too, I will look tonight and see how it compares to my Hadfields. Unlike some, my Edgewood doesn't seem to have that reddish look which some people dislike (and which I wanted).

SquishTheBunny
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:31 PM
There are a few that are close. The old Millers Sommerset line is a very close match. I still have a crown piece and cheek pieces - but they are cob. They arent made anymore but you may be able to find a used one kicking around.

There is also a brand at this tack store (greenhawk.net) that is a super close match. The mondega which is there better line, and val du bois which is their middle of the road line - both colours are similar and match the hadfield nosebands/browbands. The mondega bridles are around $175-$200, val du bois arond $120-150. Both inclue reins, not sure if you can buy separate pieces. Their lower line (Conemarra) sells separate pieces, but the colour wont match.They do mail order and will take returns as far as I know.

tBHj
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:14 PM
Wouldn't it look funny having a noseband that isn't identical to the browband?

pattnic
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:58 PM
Wouldn't it look funny having a noseband that isn't identical to the browband?

I always consider this before I buy any "spare" pieces of tack; my theory is that as long as the stitching on the browband is at least as elaborate, but preferably more, then it works. But this is backwards of how a lot of people feel (I put more emphasis on the appearance of the browband, whereas a lot of people put more emphasis on the noseband. I think this comes from my background at Morgan shows...)

JustABay
Jan. 5, 2010, 08:29 AM
I have a pieced together bridle too-Browband and noseband are Hadfield's, the rest is (I believe) a Jimmy's bridle. Looks nice, and unless you really look, you can't tell that it's not a whole Hadfield's bridle;) The price was nice too, I think I paid $100 for it used:D

DMK
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:55 PM
I added a padded Edgewood browband to my HB youngsters bridle. He was using my older horse's Hadfield bridle and some shorter cheek pieces I had on hand (that match Hadfields perfectly, but they may also BE Hadfields from some older hadfield bridle parts), but his head needs a little help and I found a browband on super clearance type sale. Uh, and yes, you will make it through one show before you go buy the matching noseband. At Farm House. At a Show. For the Full Nickel. Then, if you have Bridle OCD, you will really determine that Edgewood leather does. not. quite. match Hadfields, and you being the Bridle OCD victim standing up alongside the horse can spend a lot of time obsessing over it when you should be standing up your horse for the judge. Fortunately a big sale Xmas will hit your tack store and you will find yourself purchasing just an edgewood padded crownpiece with the idea that cheekpieces are mostly hidden, right? And then you will buy the cheekpieces, quite possibly the very same day, but a different trip. Because you do have Bridle OCD and there is no treatment for you. And you might admit that you previously tried to make a super duper sale priced o/s crown piece work on a 32 month old that still wears his small yearling sales halter. But you would only admit that under duress, because it will get used eventually, right? Meanwhile you don't think about how much it cost to shorten the throatlatch or put the nameplate on. Much.

So now he has an entire padded Edgewood headstall, and I tell myself that it was probably cheaper than buying the whole damn thing at once because most of the pieces were 30-60% off, but I still won't apply a calculator to the task. And he does look like a horse who needs that much bridle, so I guess it was going to be spent sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

Lucassb
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:22 PM
I added a padded Edgewood browband to my HB youngsters bridle. He was using my older horse's Hadfield bridle and some shorter cheek pieces I had on hand (that match Hadfields perfectly, but they may also BE Hadfields from some older hadfield bridle parts), but his head needs a little help and I found a browband on super clearance type sale. Uh, and yes, you will make it through one show before you go buy the matching noseband. At Farm House. At a Show. For the Full Nickel. Then, if you have Bridle OCD, you will really determine that Edgewood leather does. not. quite. match Hadfields, and you being the Bridle OCD victim standing up alongside the horse can spend a lot of time obsessing over it when you should be standing up your horse for the judge. Fortunately a big sale Xmas will hit your tack store and you will find yourself purchasing just an edgewood padded crownpiece with the idea that cheekpieces are mostly hidden, right? And then you will buy the cheekpieces, quite possibly the very same day, but a different trip. Because you do have Bridle OCD and there is no treatment for you. And you might admit that you previously tried to make a super duper sale priced o/s crown piece work on a 32 month old that still wears his small yearling sales halter. But you would only admit that under duress, because it will get used eventually, right? Meanwhile you don't think about how much it cost to shorten the throatlatch or put the nameplate on. Much.

So now he has an entire padded Edgewood headstall, and I tell myself that it was probably cheaper than buying the whole damn thing at once because most of the pieces were 30-60% off, but I still won't apply a calculator to the task. And he does look like a horse who needs that much bridle, so I guess it was going to be spent sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

^ This.

I just happened to take a pic of some of my bridles to compare colors and stitching patterns yesterday for another thread... they've all being cared for the same way (oiled with olive oil initially, then generally kept up with glycerine soap.) Might help you choose. (PS they are ALL darker than they appear in the photos - must be my camera flash - but at least they give you an idea of the relative colors.

My Hadfields is at the barn as I use it as my daily work bridle, so it's not included, but I will try to remember to bring it home tonight and take another pic.

Hope it helps.

BAC
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:33 PM

I'm sure you spent less by buying the parts separately on sale, and think how much happier both you and your horse are with a matching bridle. :yes: How can your horse perform his best if he is embarrassed to be wearing mismatched clothing?

And Lucassb you have too many bridles, I could take that New Cav one off your hands if you want to make room in your closet. ;)

DMK
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
LOL if the two ('scuse me - now 3) year old wasn't more interested in the edibility of leather at this point I'd agree with you. You will notice how there was NO mention of reins in that entire discussion. He isn't allowed within 100 yards of any of my decent show OR work reins!

FYI - here is a supersize link (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3552/3852132953_7fcfcfd02b_o.jpg) to the mixed bridle, you can see how the edgewood brow/noseband is a tad darker and the hadfields has a rich mahogany finish to it (click on the pic and it will get larger). You can also marvel at the one handed handler, but you will have to scroll around because this shot is BIG so you can see the headstall! I do use hydrophane darkening oil on mine because there is no color I hate more than brand new edgewood O-Ranj, but that got it a lot closer in the "matching" than the initial peanut oil application did.

Lucassb
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'm sure you spent less by buying the parts separately on sale, and think how much happier both you and your horse are with a matching bridle. :yes: How can your horse perform his best if he is embarrassed to be wearing mismatched clothing?
DMK, I think BAC makes a very good point here.

And Lucassb you have too many bridles, I could take that New Cav one off your hands if you want to make room in your closet. ;)

That is kind of you, BAC, to offer it a good home. I suppose it would be a very nice complement to the Butet!! The wall in my office IS getting a little crowded...