PDA

View Full Version : PPE on a horse

EquineRacers
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:02 PM
I wanted to ask this here to see if anyone else found it strange. As I have never had to give out this information in the past.

Have a lady wanting to PPE a horse of mine. She will be only doing trail riding. The vet she will be using wanted to know:

-My last name
-Horse's registered name
-If I was the owner on his papers
-My vets name

Do you think its weird, or am I just worried over spilled milk? I just never been asked questions of such and have had several PPE done in the past.

Lucassb
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:25 PM
In this day and age, those are reasonable requests, IMO.

The vet wants to know if they are dealing with the owner or an agent, and may ask about the horse's history.

An agent can say, "Not to my knowledge," when asked if the horse has ever been lame, had colic etc... which means not much if the horse has only been in their barn a week or two! The same answer from an owner has an entirely different connotation, particularly if the owner's vet confirms the information that the owner provides with respect to the horse's medical history.

Beenthere
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:46 PM
HOORAY!!!! Finally a vet doing what he is supposed to. A pre-purchase by AAEP standards is to investigate on behalf of the BUYER the PAST history of the horse. The standard of care for a vet is to contact the owner for information about the horse, such as surgical, health etc. Then to contact the treating vet for any inquiries necessary and to confirm shot records and past treatment. It is also important to verify that you are vetting the horse that it is supposed to be. I am so encouraged to hear this. You have no idea how many agents conceal this most vital information.
Trust me, I know vets think their job is only the one hour or two of the exam but it is not.

Now, when people vet horses I make sure they sign a document that I, the owner, have FULL access to the entire vetting. This way everyone gets the same answers

Hunter Mom
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:51 PM
I know a friend of mine had a horse PPE'd, and they wouldn't even look at him without the current owner's approval in writing. After all, it is your horse, not theirs yet.

RugBug
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:58 PM
Then to contact the treating vet for any inquiries necessary and to confirm shot records and past treatment.

I would be quite upset with my vet if they gave out information regarding my horse without my approval. Not that I have anything to hide, but they are MY vet and shouldn't be talking to anyone about my horse without my express consent.

Parrotnutz
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:01 PM
I, also, am glad to read this. As a buyer I always want to know the answers to those questions and I also refuse to make a check out to anyone other than the owner of record.
Why....because once I didn't and I found out later how much was "tacked" on without the owner knowing or the buyer<me>
As a poster mentioned, an agent can say the horse has been sound as long as I have had him, which could be 1 day.

As a seller I would disclose all information about my horse. I am not "in the business" and I would want any buyer to know everything about my horse so it cannot come back to bite me in the butt. Let me add I have only sold 2 horses in my life.

Parrotnutz
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:02 PM
I would be quite upset with my vet if they gave out information regarding my horse without my approval. Not that I have anything to hide, but they are MY vet and shouldn't be talking to anyone about my horse without my express consent.

I agree, but your vet, by law, is not allowed to give out information unless they have full consent from the owner.
I had an instance years ago where a horse flunked a vetting and the seller's trainer asked me if his vet could see the x-rays...I gave permission to my vet to let them see. Otherwise they could not look at them.

mvp
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:36 PM
None of the info seems "classified" to me.

Why wouldn't you want to disclose any of that?

I think buyers who actually have (or feel they have) complete disclosure actually (or believe they have) made better buying decisions.

With people quick to get unhappy with their new, expensive purchases and look for someone to blame, it's doing the horse a great favor to help the buyer feel sure she has bought the Right One.

Flash44
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:04 PM
The vet will need to document the identification of the horse in his report. Not sure why he needs your vet's name, though. Also, how are they going to write you a big fat check for the purchase of the horse without your last name? ;o)

shawneeAcres
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:17 PM
I have no problem with any of this, of course, if their vet wants to talk to my vet (or the owners vet if I am the agent) the current vet MUST get express poermission to discuss the horse or they cannot give out information on the horse. Also, as far as registration goes, if a stock horse breed then they may want to make certain the horse does not have linkage to HYPP in the pedigree, and if so, make sure the horse is negative. I always provide that info on any horse that is a reg. QH or stock breed. In addition, a person may want to verify a show record on a horse with the registration association or USEF.