PDA

View Full Version : Speak to me of Arab Sport Horse Nationals...

SaturdayNightLive
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm kinda sorta thinking about attempting to get my anglo-arab qualified for Sport Horse Nationals, but I don't know much about it. I know I can do the Open Qualifier Program (or whatever it's called) and use USEF rated shows to qualify, so I'm not worried about that. But has anyone here been to Sport Horse Nationals before? How was the experience? Worth trying for? How expensive is it? And what exactly are the fence heights? I looked at the rule book, but I saw really strange heights that had like a 9" range. Is that really how the courses are set?

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks in advance for any help. :)

ambar
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
I've qualified horses for SHN in in-hand, but have never gone, and don't jump, so I'm not much good to you. :D

If you don't get answers here, you should find a lot more experience on the AHA forums: http://secure.arabianhorses.org/forum/

Grataan
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:32 PM
it is so much fun!

Typically at the end of the year (ie Nationals) the fences are set toward the maximum height listed in the rule book.

enjoytheride
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:05 PM
There should be some videos on youtube that show this year and last year's courses and fence heights.

Expect the competition to vary between seat of your pants gasp inducing horror (this would be hunters) and nice enough to pin at an A show.

rugbygirl
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:11 PM
but I saw really strange heights that had like a 9" range. Is that really how the courses are set?

They can be, but usually they are up at the higher end and fences are of similar heights. As you move up through the season, the fences creep toward the higher end (higher at Regionals than at Local level, for example.)

--

I used to ride at a barn that does really well at Sporthorse Nationals. They love it, apparently it is the most fun show (they attend CDN Nationals, US Nationals and Scottsdale as well.) The riders at the barn were mostly Juniors, they liked the prizes, the recognition in the monthly Arabian Horse magazine, the glitz of the big show.

You might want to check out one Arabian breed show first. I have shown on the Arabian circuit as well as on the Open circuit (admittedly, not much of either) and Arabian over-fences classes are definitely a different animal. You'll do absolutely fine performance-wise...but you might want to check out a show first to look at typical course designs and get a feel for how the show is run.

I also can only compare expenses to my local-level shows, and Arabian shows run about triple the equivalent level Open show (in my area). If you're used to showing A-circuit or something though, the cost probably won't be shocking.

Is it worth it? Well, I know that the riders at my old barn would say so! I think if you can qualify at shows you are going to be doing anyway, it probably will be worth it!

copper1
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:35 AM
Sport Horse Nationals is a ton of fun and the competition is fierce! Open hunters are 3'-3'3" , AAO is 2'9"-3" AATR is 2'6"-2'9"' and greens are 2'6"-2'9" and yes, expect the fences to be at the higher range. Courses are set on the 12' striding and they are nice rides with nice jumps. USEF R hunter judges. Most of the horses are excellent with a handful of ones that aren't quite up to it.
Entry fees are $175 a class which in the Arab world, a hunter "class" consists of two over fences and the hack. Of course there are all the other fees that add up to over a$1000 for one horse in 4 classes. Prizes are nice-beautiful trophies for champ and reserve along with a rose blanket and ribbons. Top 10 finishers all get plaques and ribbons. Champions also receive a nice wol cooler donated by the Arabian eclub, the Guard. % of entry money goes to a check for the winners.

arizona101
Jan. 5, 2010, 08:19 AM
Like others have said in most cases the local Class A Shows may set the fences at the lower end of the range but expect the fences to become bigger and fancier as you move up to Regionals and Nationals. I have always loved Arabian Shows and Nationals is the best!

There is more information on the Arabian Horse America website.

In addition your horse may be elidgible to win money depending on how he is bred. (Aside from the normal Jackpot Classes, Sweepstakes etc) if his sire is part of that Payback Stallion Program. I will see if I can find the link to the list.

Squirt
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:53 AM
I would suggest going to the Araian Horse Association website (www.arabianhorses.org) and check everything out. The open Hunters now maxes at 3', the open jumpers at 3'6". What I loved about placing at nationals was the payback. And the first year they had the separate Sport Horse Nats. I was able to take 2 horses, show in three divisions for $2000, total includin shipping.

I'm going to go next year with my green bean (hunter and eq) and possibly my young stallion(in-hand, dressage and MAYBE green hunter). Not shipping all the way to Idaho. California? Sure, but Idaho? Nah, I'll wait until it's in Kentucky.

SaturdayNightLive
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks all! If I went, it would be in the jumpers. It sounds very interesting, but we'll have to see how Horsey is feeling. ;)

chunky munky
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:06 PM
They had a knowledgeable hunter/jumper course designer this year. I would expect the same for 2010.

SaturdayNightLive
Jan. 5, 2010, 06:36 PM
Okay - one more question. Is there only one jumper height at Nationals or is there an Open height and an Amateur height? The rulebook was a little unclear on this....

enjoytheride
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:49 PM
AR155 Arabian Jumper Class Specifications
1. atr, aotr, jtr: obstacles to start at 3 to max of 3 3 with spreads to 3 9
2. open: obstacles to start at 3 3 to max height of 3 6 with spreads to 4

Noctis
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:14 PM
I haven't been to SHN (just US when it was all combined), but Arabian shows are AWESOME! I miss them now that I am arabianless. The whole thing is just more...fun. Great prizes, earn cash, AMAZING ribbons, and everyone is REALLY friendly, moreso than USEF shows, at least in my experience. Good luck! And AHA class A shows are a LOT cheaper than USEF A shows, at least in my experience!

copper1
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:27 AM
check out the new organization that is forming, just for Arabians used as sport horses: arabiansinsport.org It is in it's infancy but is promising to be big and eventurally will hold all the info you will need!

pds
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:46 PM
Go for it! You will have tons of fun and meet alot of very nice folks. Good judges, good quality jumps and good course design. We have gone every year (except Utah - too far) and always been pleased even when we didn't do well. We show in the HA Jumpers both amatuer and open. We won in 2007 but this year was a disaster for us there (had an off day):(. There is also a mini-prix which is a blast. There are some super nice horses in the hunter divisions.
I like SHN much better than when it was in Louisville combined with all the western stuff. Nothing wrong with western, it just always seemed like our classes were an after thought by the show.

akhunterrider
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:18 PM
If you decide to try for it, just know that I'm tagging along as your groom. Ok? :D

SaturdayNightLive
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:10 PM
If you decide to try for it, just know that I'm tagging along as your groom. Ok? :D

:lol: Sounds good.

Grataan
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:39 PM
Like others have said in most cases the local Class A Shows may set the fences at the lower end of the range but expect the fences to become bigger and fancier as you move up to Regionals and Nationals. I have always loved Arabian Shows and Nationals is the best!

There is more information on the Arabian Horse America website.

In addition your horse may be elidgible to win money depending on how he is bred. (Aside from the normal Jackpot Classes, Sweepstakes etc) if his sire is part of that Payback Stallion Program. I will see if I can find the link to the list.

SHN Payback (http://www.shnpayback.com/Home.html) website

2010 stallions list (http://www.shnpayback.com/Stallions.html)

Master stallion list (http://www.shnpayback.com/MASTER_LIST.pdf)

Jessyka89
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
I went in 2007 and then again this year in 2009. I definitely recommend coming into the Arab world. I too, came from h/j land with a pony that I could no longer show at open shows (I aged out). I was SUPER skeptical going into it, but my mom convinced me, and now I only show at Arab shows. Yes, there is a very very drastic difference in the quality depending on the show. The shows that you go to in order to qualify (if you chose to go to an Arab "A" show), are definitely going to vary in quality of the horses. I saw you're from wildcat country, so I'm guessing your decently close to the horse park. I would check out the Bluegrass Classic/Festival the first weekend in April at the KHP. It's the Region 14 Qualifier and Championship for the Sport Horses. Usually there are quite a few nice horses there, a few of which will probably be at SHN. Also, Kristin Hardin and Dianne Grod from out west come to SHN to campaign really nice Arabs as well. I would definitely recommend it!

Roulett
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:11 PM
Okay - one more question. Is there only one jumper height at Nationals or is there an Open height and an Amateur height? The rulebook was a little unclear on this....

I'm not sure if the rule book has caught up with the issue of PB's and HA/AA's
in one class but I believe next year - the PB jumpers and HA/AA jumpers will be combined into one class - two classes, open and ATR. I'm not wild about the idea but whatever -

As far as the National show itself, it's a lot of fun and you win such cool items
like rose garlands, coolers, MONEY, and great looking trophy's. It's also on
a live feed so all your friends can tun in and watch you take to the fences. LOL

You can qualify from the open circuit - no problem. :-)