PDA

View Full Version : TALL off-the-rack half chaps for men?

GGsuperpony
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:56 PM
The man in question is 6'4, very long-legged. Ground to knee measurement in a sitting position is 21.75, calf is 16 over jeans. Don't have ankle to knee measurement but guessing it is in the 17.5 - 18.5 range.

I cannot find any off-the-rack half chaps within even two inches of the height measurement! Can anyone help? Surely they must make half-chaps for normal-tall guys? Or will he have to go custom?

Btw, he loves the look of my trainer's grain leather Grand Prix half chaps with the stretch leather panel. He strongly prefers the zipper be hidden, whether at the back of the leg or underneath a flap. He wants black too. I told him we will have to be flexible since we will have so few styles from which to choose, so please send me anything whether or not it fits his preferences!

Thanks, y'all!

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:12 PM
Well, your measurements are a little fuzzy, but I'd try Treadsteps. I measure between 19 and 20 inches from side of knee to the ankle bone and my Treads are long enough. The zipper is on the side, however. But I think there are several different styles, so you may be able to find what you are looking for.

Mine fit great and have worn very well. The snaps are a little tight in the beginning, but are fine after a bit of use. A bit pricier than some other brands, but worth it for the fit.

GGsuperpony
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks Go Fish!

To clarify, his tall boot measurement would be 21.75". That's with him sitting in a chair and my measuring from the floor to the back of his knee, just like you would for tall boots.

His calf is 16" around when he is wearing jeans, so a little less than that in breeches, but he'd like to be able to wear them over jeans too.

I am not sure what his ankle-to-knee measurement would be, but mine is 3" less so I am guessing his would be 3"-4" less, so approximately 17.75" to 18.75". Anything over 17.5" would probably work if the sizing is based on the distance from the side of the ankle to base of the knee at the side.

Thanks again, y'all!

alakazam
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:36 PM
You could try prochaps. I think they go up to 19" tall.

Equinoxfox
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:40 PM
Sent you a PM :D

Equinoxfox
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:43 PM
Dover has Monoco's . very nice and tall :cool:

GGsuperpony
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:45 PM
Equinoxfox, I love the Monaco's, but sadly he thinks they are too "fancy". He wants beat-around half-chaps since for dress occasions, he will wear his tall boots. If we can't find others that will fit, though, those will definitely be in the running!

Big Day
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:01 PM
I second the tredsteps. SmartPak carries all various sizes of them. I measure 21 tall too and they fit beautifully.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=3216

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks Go Fish!

To clarify, his tall boot measurement would be 21.75". That's with him sitting in a chair and my measuring from the floor to the back of his knee, just like you would for tall boots.

Okay, I'm 21.5 in the same spot, so he'd probably be fine with the Treads.

GGsuperpony
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks Go Fish! Good to know. I was just about to ask you to confirm since the size chart suggests they'd be too short... But you guys are basically the same size so if they fit you they should fit him!

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Go Fish! Good to know. I was just about to ask you to confirm since the size chart suggests they'd be too short... But you guys are basically the same size so if they fit you they should fit him!

I should also mention that mine have a "Spanish" top so they are longer on the outside than a lot of other half chaps. They also fit so well that they didn't drop at all. If you decide on the Treads, they will be tight to start off. They will stretch a bit around, but not much. Mine also have a stretch panel at the back which helps.

Mor4ward
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'm 6'3" and all leg.
Ariat tall/wide calf worked like a charm.

JustABay
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:27 PM
D'yon half chaps!

I am very picky, and finally bit the bullet and bought them...couldn't be happier. They also come in a range of calf heights/widths so there should be something that will fit:) I am 6'0 with 16" calves around and require 21+" height to give you an idea.

ShadyLover
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:20 PM
Be wary of Ariat Zippers :(. I know you said that if another pair didn't work out that you would grab one of those but any Ariat boots/half chaps I've had are too much trouble. Whether they break or just don't work correctly.

Like others have said, try Tredstep. I know quite a few people that love them and Tredstep definitely has your hubby's size :D.