PDA

View Full Version : Vogels (Custom)

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:54 PM
OK my poor boots are on their last legs. I am *hoping* I can get one more show season out of them. They are up at Journeyman's getting the sole glued back on. I have spent more on repairing them and getting them stretched than what I paid for them.

SO..I am seriously thinking about getting a pair of custom vogels. They are the only ones that have the elastic on the inside for a calf. My one leg doesn't drain properly so it swells. I need a boot that has a little give for the swollen days.

Even at my thinnest I have had to get wide calf boots. :D

My question is are they worth it, or should I look at different brands?

hellerkm
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:03 PM
OK my poor boots are on their last legs. I am *hoping* I can get one more show season out of them. They are up at Journeyman's getting the sole glued back on. I have spent more on repairing them and getting them stretched than what I paid for them.

SO..I am seriously thinking about getting a pair of custom vogels. They are the only ones that have the elastic on the inside for a calf. My one leg doesn't drain properly so it swells. I need a boot that has a little give for the swollen days.

Even at my thinnest I have had to get wide calf boots. :D

My question is are they worth it, or should I look at different brands?

HUGE Vogel fan here. My sister got customs when I was still in jods and paddock boots , she wore them for years , they were then handed down to me ( had to be taken in) and I wore them for about 3 seasons until i got too tall. My NIECE is now wearing them to show in and they look GREAT! The boots are at least 30 yrs old and shine up like new!! Totally worth the investment my mom made years ago LOL!!!

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
Huge Vogel fan here, too.

Just make sure whoever measures you knows what they are doing.

CGolden
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:49 PM
Agree with Go Fish. Make sure whoever measures you knows what they are doing. My new pair just came in the other day. Once they are broken in they are great and last forever. I had my last pair for 8 years, but I am a professional, wear mine almost ever weekend on numerous horses. They are definitely worth the investment.

Lucassb
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
Vogels are beautiful boots, for sure, but these days they are not the only option, especially when you consider comfort.

I have a wonderful pair of Sergio Grassos that I wear in favor of my custom Vogels - mostly because I bought the Vogels in the days before zippers, stretch leather etc. The Vogels are lovely boots *but* they live in the closet now... because they're not anywhere near as comfortable as my Sergio's, and the SG boots are every bit as beautiful.

I understand Mountain Horse now also makes a tall boot in stretch leather and they are VERY nice - much nicer than the clunky older styles in their past.

Check some of them out before you make a decision. Especially if you are concerned with comfort, you may find that there is a better boot out there, and as a bonus, they will be significantly less expensive than Vogels as well.

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:29 PM
I agree with what Lucas said, but if you are the type of person that wears your boots until they evaporate, (and it sounds like you are), then I would go with the Vogels.

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:42 PM
Yes I wear my boots until they either fall apart so much that the boot guy can't fix them.

I am not sure if the Serio Grasso's would be able to put that side elastic in that the Vogel's do.

Off the shelf boots are hard to fit my leg. If I get them to fit my right leg, than the left they are to big. My leg is about an inch or two bigger on the right compared to the left. They have a machine to improve the lymphatic drainage but my insurance company won't cough up the cash for it.

The correct term for my leg issue is Lymph Edema.

chawley
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
A a person that has Vogels, I also agree w/ Lucasb. There are sooo many off-the-shelf boot options today that cost less than customs, but give you the same look and quality without the wait!

Before going the custom route, I would definitely try the Sergios and Mountain Horse. If they don't work, at least you know you tried before spending $1100+ on boots.

If you do go the custom route, I don't think you can go wrong w either Vogels or Dehners.

myalter1
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE my most recent pair of vogels. They are unattractive (which i know, sounds stupid.) They have never fit right. Mine dropped too much and are too big at the top. I was measured at Bevals, the same place where i was measured for my previous pair. I LOVED my previous pair but was so disappointed with these. Since i wasn't showing they literally sat in my boot bag, unworn, for almost 4 years. (Please don't say I am unhappy b/c they aren't broken in- they are.) Kind of expensive to just sit in a boot bag...

I would definately check out some off the rack (Ariat Monaco's/Sergio Grasso's etc.) before buying vogels. I actually tried on a pair of Monaco 8 tall slim last summer that fit me 100 times better than my customs. They were beautiful. PM me if you have questions.

JrHunterRider
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:37 PM
I love my Vogel boots. I've had three custom pairs so far, and my sister just received her first pair of custom boots over the holidays. The only trouble I've ever had with mine are the zippers breaking. The zippers broke on both of my boots, and broke once on one of my old boots. However, Vogel replaced the zippers each time and even re-soled my current boots. The main reason for the zipper breaking is that the spur wears the zipper out on the back of the boot where it rests. But again, I'm a loyal Vogel person! Vogel does let you customize everything right down to a punched toe or not or leather.

I do have a pair of Sergio Grasso boots that I love also. Sergio Grassos have a leather strap that covers the zipper on the boot where the spur will rest. Obviously this alone keeps the zippers in better condition.

joyful
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:54 PM
I am a big fan of Vogels. I always go to NY to get measured. I'm on my third pair (not bad for 20 yrs) and I love them! I wear them and repair them until either my leg changes too much to alter them, or they just wear out! Getting measured properly is key... Good Luck!

Va2Ga
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:03 PM
I love Vogel! I called them back in sep and had them just remake the boots i had, same everything. I had just worn out the old ones by not takeing care of them so i just figured i would have them remake the old ones. Well i didnt think about the fact that over 5 plus years my legs had strectch the old boots out as my legs got a bigger. So when the new ones came in they didnt fit. Couldnt even zip them! So i called told them it i was to blame and they said send them back they would fix them. They made me whole new boots and didnt charge me! So thank you Vogel! They fit like a glove and i will take better care of these. I would tell anyone they are worth the money.

rwh
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:14 PM

I have a pair of Der Daus (off-the-rack) that have an elastic gusset (triangle shaped, maybe two or three inches long) similar to what you describe on the inside of the boot.

ChafedToBits
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:26 PM
I got my first pair of Vogels last year and I will never wear anything else! I agree with Joyful that if you can go to NYC to be measured, you are less likely to have any fit issues.

Mr. Reid (Dean Roy) measured me and he did a great job and was super nice to work with. I bet if you talk to them about your leg issue, they will have some ideas about how to fit you best.

Good luck!

chemteach
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:40 PM
Love them! Worth every cent!

citydog
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:45 PM
Dehner does the gussets, too.

myrna
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:26 PM
If by some chance they don't fit,Vogel's takes no responsibility for it.You are on your own(don't ask me how i know!)

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:48 PM
If by some chance they don't fit,Vogel's takes no responsibility for it.You are on your own(don't ask me how i know!)

I've heard that if Vogel makes the mistake, they WILL stand behind the boots. If the measurements are wrong, then they won't. That's why it's CRITICAL that the person who measures you knows what they're doing.

jen-s
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm a really odd size so my next pair may well be customs. But in the interim, I took my old (but VERY rarely worn b/c they were WAY too tight) Ariats to my local cobbler and they split the back seams and then replaced it with a seam that was custom sized for each calf. From the front/sides, my boots don't look like they were altered at all. From the back, you can tell that the seam is a bit wider than normal, but it's not really noticable and I'm not doing AAs. ;) If you have a GOOD (and by good, I mean GREAT and very experienced with tall boots) cobbler or shoe repair shop, then it might be save you some pennies to pick up a pair of boots that fits the smaller calf and just have them alter the other boot.

tarynls
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:05 PM
PM sent!

Hilltopfarmva
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:05 PM
Super huge Vogel fan, I show 2x month for the most part and my boots only get used for showing. I bought them in 1989 and they shine up like new and the leather is great. I will splurge and get a new pair this year as the leather is starting to wear around the ankles. They are sooooooo worth the money!

LeeB10
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:59 AM
I sent you a pm about another custom boot company that is worth looking in to.

Lucassb
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:20 PM
Yes I wear my boots until they either fall apart so much that the boot guy can't fix them.

I am not sure if the Serio Grasso's would be able to put that side elastic in that the Vogel's do.

Off the shelf boots are hard to fit my leg. If I get them to fit my right leg, than the left they are to big. My leg is about an inch or two bigger on the right compared to the left. They have a machine to improve the lymphatic drainage but my insurance company won't cough up the cash for it.

The correct term for my leg issue is Lymph Edema.

Aw, AppQH, I am familiar with lymphedema, unfortunately (cancer survivor.)

The Sergios I have don't have a side elastic - the WHOLE boot above the foot is stretch leather!! (There is a "regular" leather inner calf where you contact the horse/saddle for durability.) So they are WAY more adjustable than traditional leather boots, which is one of the reasons I bought them, as I have a 1 1/2" difference between my right and left legs also.

I am pretty sure that SG no longer makes that particular boot (the Perugia model) BUT the new Mountain Horse stretch leather model is extremely similar. Once my buddies saw my boots, that is what they bought and they love them.

Certainly buy the Vogels if that is what you really want, but just be aware there are other alternatives for custom fitting, beautiful, and COMFORTABLE boots.

Happy shopping!

monalisa
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:44 PM
I think it depends on how easy you are to fit.

I am on my second pair of Vogels. I got 10 years out of my first pair.

If you are very average in terms of foot size, width, calf height and width then you may be able to find a decent pair without going custom.

But if not, custom is the only way to get a boot that really fits.

Lucassb
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:51 PM
I think it depends on how easy you are to fit.

I am on my second pair of Vogels. I got 10 years out of my first pair.

If you are very average in terms of foot size, width, calf height and width then you may be able to find a decent pair without going custom.

But if not, custom is the only way to get a boot that really fits.

I disagree, actually. My Sergios were not customs (although you order "customized" parts, ie there are several options for height, calf size, etc.) Because the leather is actually stretchy - they fit MUCH more closely than a typical custom boot.

I have nothing against Vogels; as I said, I have a pair and they are lovely. But although they fit quite well they don't compare to my SG's. It's just the nature of the leather - I have the french calf Vogels, and I don't do fully lined ones, preferring a closer feel. But the leather has a certain stiffness to it even when properly broken in, (which mine certainly are now after ten years of use, lol)... like most normal boots, they "stand up" on their own when you take them off. The stretch leather ones don't - they are soft and stretchy, almost like fabric. If it were not for that inner calf panel I imagine you could ball them up in your hand if you wanted to.

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:03 PM
I just finally got back online...

I heard back from Derhner and they are unable to make boots with what I need.

I have tried on the Mountain Horse boots. It fit the right leg, but my normal leg it looked interesting.

IF I get the Vogels I am going up to New York to get fitted for them. I am not going to have a local shop do it. I know that one of the other boarders got boots made by them, and they were not made right. Vogel replaced them no questions asked because she was measured by them.

ChelseaNY
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:09 PM
I've had Vogels but they don't compare to my Der Daus. I'm on my second pair (love the zippers!) and still use my first pair at the barn. I've only gotten measured by Jose at horse shows or at the store (in Brooklyn), and the fit has been perfect!

Bearhunter
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:42 PM
It sounds like you definitely will benefit from a custom boot. I have Vogels and do like them a lot. It took three times to get them right (sending them back to Vogel) but now they are perfect. Are they as soft as say a pair of Monacos? No, but I sure as hell know they will last me a lot longer and they fit great!

Go Fish
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:51 PM
- I have the french calf Vogels, and I don't do fully lined ones, preferring a closer feel. But the leather has a certain stiffness to it even when properly broken in, (which mine certainly are now after ten years of use, lol)... like most normal boots, they "stand up" on their own when you take them off. The stretch leather ones don't - they are soft and stretchy, almost like fabric. If it were not for that inner calf panel I imagine you could ball them up in your hand if you wanted to.

My Vogels are French calf, cuff lined. They certainly don't stand up on their own...flop right over. I have to keep boot trees in them to keep them upright.

To the OP - whatever you decide, it sounds like you will need to go custom to get the fit you want. Good luck with your search.

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah with the leg issue and the fact that I have TRIED so many off the shelf boots it will look that way.

I heard back from Der Dau and the starting price.