PDA

View Full Version : Do stirrup iron brands / types make a difference?

Swale01
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have been eyeballing these for some time now:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0708&ids=243994815

and wondering if anyone out there rides with 'offset eye' stirrups like these and has feedback. Do you feel much of a difference?

Any other brands or types that people swear by (and why?)

I'm in the market to replace my $15 purchased-used specials with a gift certificate that Santa left me.:)

Justice
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:53 PM
I just ordered a pair of the MDC Ultimates from Dover to go with the saddle that's to arrive tomorrow. I have not ridden in 5 years, and almost vomited when I saw how expensive stirrups are, but I've heard that the offset eye can decrease shin rubs, and since I've never ridden in them wanted the option of having them straight as well. The MDCs are adjustable, so that's the route I went. I'll let you know how they feel later this week. I'm interested to hear how people who have the offset eyes like them.

Ratherberidin
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:17 PM
I have ridden in the MDC stirrups for a year and a half. I have a bad hip, and they really make a difference for me. I really notice how much they help when I ride in my other saddle without them. Good luck!

equest
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:37 PM
I just ordered a pair of the MDC Ultimates from Dover to go with the saddle that's to arrive tomorrow. I have not ridden in 5 years, and almost vomited when I saw how expensive stirrups are, but I've heard that the offset eye can decrease shin rubs, and since I've never ridden in them wanted the option of having them straight as well. The MDCs are adjustable, so that's the route I went. I'll let you know how they feel later this week. I'm interested to hear how people who have the offset eyes like them.

I actually rode in these for about six months and realized I was not able to drop my weight into my heel as effectively as with regular stirrups. This negatively affected my position. I ended up selling the Ultimate stirrups and my trainer has commented that my leg position has improved since I reverted to the old-school stirrups. Other people, however, have stated that the flex stirrups are great for their leg position. The flex stirrups and the offset eye were very comfortable for my knees, so I definitely understand the appeal.

camohn
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have those ones........offset eye but not the flex joints. For some reason I don't like flex stirrups........but with bad ankles and knees I do really like the offset eye.

MoonPie730
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:25 PM

I too have MDC stirrups and I love them. I think the only advantage the MDC stirrups have to the ones you are looking at is that they are adjustable. You can have them totally straight to totally offset or somewhere in between.

Sparkling_Sunset
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:12 PM
I have the HS Jointed Offset-Eye stirrups and love them. The cheaper Metalab regular jointed irons I bought for my second saddle have got to go-- they kill my right ankle!

One note: the offset eye make it very easy to get the "toe turned out" look desirable for hunters; if you don't like this position you might find it hard to keep your toe pointed straight with them due to the angle they're at.

JackMallory
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:10 AM
I love, love, love my (flexible) Royal Riders. I never lose a stirrup, and their lightness sure makes it easier carrying my saddle around. :D

klmck63
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
I love, love, love my (flexible) Royal Riders. I never lose a stirrup, and their lightness sure makes it easier carrying my saddle around. :D

Me too! Except mine are the non-flexible ones.

SIC
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
I love my MDC Stirrups. They definitely help my leg position and cut down on my old knee pain.

If you don't like a flex stirrup, they make a traditional model.

You might as well try them because the stores will give your money back if you don't like them.

Good luck

Trixie
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:53 PM
I got the MDC's from Mr. Trixie last year for Christmas and adore them. Definitely recommend, and that's after I spent last winter rehabbing my knees.