PDA

View Full Version : Average cost of a Wofford Clinic?

eponacowgirl
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:30 AM
Middle TN Pony Club is hosting him here in Feb and I'm heartbroken that I likely won't be able to ride since its right at the beginning of Feb and this is going to be a rough month with the weather and not being able to work and teach.

I could charge it, but I think I'd rather just go audit.

Anyway- if it turns out this is the BEST DEAL EVER since its right in my hometown, I'll scrape together my pennies, but I want to do my research first!

I know it all depends on travel expenses for him and the like, but I'm just curious as to what I can look forward to paying one day when I HAVE the money...

mcw
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:00 AM
I am bummed, too, epona. I thought about borrowing a horse for the weekend since my baby hasn't started jumping yet, but it seems a bit silly to pay that much to ride someone else's horse when I would have a hard time affording it on my own horse. I think I am going to audit- that way I can watch all of the lessons and hopefully remember some of his words of wisdom when the YP gets going. So that is a long, drawn out way of saying if you decide to audit, we can hang out together!

tarheelmd07
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:00 AM
I'd have to go back and look at my records, but I think it's usually been around $150 for a one day clinic...

well worth the money though ;)

eponacowgirl
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:15 AM
Okay, let me put it out there that they're charging $395 for a two hour stadium session. How does that add up?

I will be auditing, one way or another!

Gry2Yng
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
Well, $150 sounds like the deal of a century. He might be $150 for a private lesson at his own farm. $395 sounds very fair and I would expect to pay something like that if he were coming to my area.

NeverTime
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hmmm... Maybe BFNE will post as she organizes lots of clinics w/him in Unionville, Pa. When he comes to Unionville, it's a lot cheaper (around $100/group lesson IIRC), but it also a few hours in a car and no hotel expenses -- I imagine the travel and logistics probably add some cost.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hmmm... Maybe BFNE will post as she organizes lots of clinics w/him in Unionville, Pa. When he comes to Unionville, it's a lot cheaper (around $100/group lesson IIRC), but it also a few hours in a car and no hotel expenses -- I imagine the travel and logistics probably add some cost.

Our lessons/clinics are not a good measure as we have no costs (thanks to our location and various fantastic farm owners who open up their farms for us---and me not charging my time!). We are also usually doing more like mid week lessons....and I try to schedule him with old time students and fun people for him to teach ;).

If I organize a bigger open more clinic like situation...it is a bit more expensive. Weekend clinics will cost more than the one day in the middle of the week. I'd say you should expect to pay between $150-400 a day per rider depending on the facility costs and location. For example, when organizing a xc clinic clinic, most facilities charge anywhere from $30-50 per rider....so that gets added on top of the organizers costs, Jimmy's fees and costs etc. If he has to fly there...that is a lot of added cost.

As for borrowing a horse...yes, of course it is best if you are riding your own horse. But honestly, I bet you would still get a lot out of it. Jimmy is fantastic at working on your position and use of aids. That is something that can be worked on no matter what horse you are sitting on. Then watching what is said and done with the other riders can also be very educational.

Have fun!

CMCEventer
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:38 AM
I suspect that perhaps due to travel and hotel, the price is much higher than when he teaches closer to home. I've ridden in lots of the gymnastics clinics in Upperco - they are $150 for a 2 hour session, with 8 riders. I've also organized a few clinics for him, and we work is so that Jimmy gets $100 per rider (6-8 per ground), plus the riders pay whatever fees for the location (i.e., if the place charges $50 per rider to use the cross country course, I just make the riders responsible for that as a 'direct cost.' Again, typically 2 hours, 6-8 riders. So, around Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, the going rate is $150. Definitely go audit! He's fabulous!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
Okay, let me put it out there that they're charging $395 for a two hour stadium session. How does that add up?

That is on the higher side but my guess is it is a weekend clinic (which he charges more for and are harder to get time from him) and given the further location.... I can easily see it being that expensive. It is still worth it in my book.

ETA: If that is a two day price for a weekend clinic...it is the typical to lower rate (not on the higher side).

And if cost starts to freak you out....go look at the cost of a dressage clinic of a trainer of his quality/experience....we get him CHEAP!

RunForIt
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:53 AM
This particular clinic is a weekend, 2 day, 2 hours/lesson SJ clinic. One time I went over to Fare Well farm for a clinic with him and due to rain, we had SJ for both days - disappointed as we were to not go out xc, no one left without saying it turned out super to have two straight days to work on the same concepts with Jimmy...he remembers EVERY detail of your riding from day to day, only the 2nd day he's assessed more and is ready to tweak what you're doing...I loved it!

The cost here is similar to what we paid 6, maybe 7 years ago. Y'all are lucky to get JW so close to you even if you opt to audit and video and hopefully get to ask questions...:cool:

CatchMeIfUCan
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:00 AM
I did a clinic with him last August in IL. I paid $400 for 2 hours a day for 2 days (stadium and xc). Best $$ I've ever spent for instruction.

Kairoshorses
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:09 AM
I check his blog regularly. He's not coming ANYWHERE around West TX. I would HAPPILY drive 400+ miles. sigh. So GO!!!!

;)

wildlifer
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:18 AM
A weekend clinic in NC was around $350, two days of jumping.

pass
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:27 AM
In So Cal we pay $450 for 2 days. So it sounds like one hell of a deal to me!

Moody Mare
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:38 PM

What the organizer/hosting facility and the clinician charge could be vastly different.

Carol Ames
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:16 PM
He is worth e:yes: cent of it and more1:confused: If you can't ride, go audit:yes: better still, start an interest bearing account and put in it 10% of everything you take in-You will be surprised how quickly it will grow;), especially if it is interest bearing used that to get $ for te TTEAMM clinics I did:yes::cool:

if it is $10 out in 1$; and so on

Carol Ames
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:29 PM
Do you have any clients for whom you will definitely be doing some service, trailering, cross country course walks, braiding , etc? How about asking them to pay in advance, giving them a discount, of course?also extra lessons before an event, using what you learned from riding with Jimmy; possibly a little talk/ lecture?:confused: Is there someone who, would like their horse to go but, is"t ready/ able to ride themselves?If you rode their horse would they pay for the clinic? Let your customers know how very much you want to ride

Carol Ames
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:36 PM
Offer to be jump/ ground crew:cool:; don't wait to be told, just jump in and DO IT!:lol:

You will get even more then "just" auditing:lol:

badawg
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:30 PM
I paid $350 for a 2 day weekend clinic here in MT and that was for two 2 hour lessons.

Mach Two
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:47 PM
Where will it be? Must be in an indoor, yes? and if they leased a facility, that does add to the cost, and he has to fly into Nashville unless he is on his way somewhere and driving (can't think where he'd be on his way to around here) but it is all relative: you won't need to travel 5 or 6 hours, or do stabling and a hotel.
Do it if it's at all possible.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:14 PM
Do it if it's at all possible.

All else aside, I don't think it would be fair to my pony... he's had two of the last three weeks off and will probably have a lot more time off before that weekend in Feb. Since the ground is frozen, we won't be able to accomplish much, so I guess I'll just have to wait. It's okay... auditing will be really good for me.

poltroon
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:50 PM
I paid $350 for a 2 day weekend clinic here in MT and that was for two 2 hour lessons.

You guys pay him in fishing. :D

leheath
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:59 AM
This year he is coming to WA and he costs $450 for 2 hours on 2 days (stabling is also included) - day 1 is stadium and day 2 is cross-country. I audited him last year, and it was definitely worth it despite truly horrible weather! I would love to ride with him, but my young horse isn't ready this year - I will definitely be riding next year and auditing again this year. In relation to other BNT eventing clinics, this is on the pricey side for around here, but it is on par with dressage clinics where a 1-hour private (the only thing offered) is $100-140 (stabling and/or haul-in fees extra) and Jimmy is one-of-a-kind! :)

Mach Two
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:14 PM
All else aside, I don't think it would be fair to my pony... he's had two of the last three weeks off and will probably have a lot more time off before that weekend in Feb. Since the ground is frozen, we won't be able to accomplish much, so I guess I'll just have to wait. It's okay... auditing will be really good for me.

Auditing will be great, and jump in and set poles, stand near him, but not in the way...tell him I sent you. He will laugh.
I'll email him and see if we can take him fishing while he's here.