PDA

View Full Version : Fox Hunter to Long Stirrup

NCSue
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:06 AM
Curious has anyone taken a fox hunter with appropriate movement and be able to turn it into a decent hunter?

TalkIsCheap
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:15 AM
Sure. Question is, can the reverse be done?

lesson junkie
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:51 AM
Of course you can. Twenty years ago, when I couldn't afford to feed two, I showed my field hunter. He jumped great, but wasn't the most wonderful mover. We won our share, if I managed to not jump up his neck. If we had good trips over fences, sometimes a generous judge would give us a ribbon in the hack. His picture is on my mantle, along with our Championship ribbon.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:15 AM
I hope so since the original show hunters were actually foxhunters! But to answer your question more seriously, yes with some they can do it, basically waht you need is a GOOD jump (some foxhunters go over the fences, but their form leaves a lot to be desired) and good "ratability" (again not always the strongest card for a true foxhunter). "Back in the day" when I grew up showing hunters (70's) I often showed horses for people that were actively hunting them. Of course in those days, one of the jumping rounds was an "outside" course and that was where I usually got the best ribbons!