PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my position while landing from a jump

MoonPie730
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:17 AM
I have a tendency to sit up on the landing. Any advice, tips, exercises to help me keep my hip angle closed and stay broken over through the landing? I have tried placing a pole several strides out and to stay broken over until I am over that, but I think this habit is beyond a fix like that.

Any ideas?

forestergirl99
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:57 AM
I used that have that problem. My trainer had me do an exercise that worked on upper body control. While you are trotting instead of going up-down-up-down, go up-up-down-up-up-down. I was amazed how well it worked. Good luck! :)

sptraining
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:45 PM
Some horses will sort of throw you back into the saddle - so it might not be entirely your fault. Make sure your stirrups are good and short because if they're too long, you'll be at the mercy of your horse's jump.

Landing without falling back/standing up requires a lot of core and leg strength. Live in a two point for a while to build those muscles. Make sure you really stretch down into your heels - that will anchor you. The rest is just practice practice practice until you can find a comfortable spot.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:09 PM
Practice transitions in two point.

Upward transitions (slower to faster) are like taking off, downward transitions (canter to trot, trot to walk) are like landing.

equest
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:32 PM
I asked a similar question a few months ago.

Based on the responses to that thread and my experience, I agree with the SPtraining comment below: "Landing without falling back/standing up requires a lot of core and leg strength." I definitely agree with working on those core muscles through ab work out of the saddle and two-point, as well as just forcing yourself to take a breath and relax over the fence and focus on staying in your two point one stride out from the fence rather than anticipating and popping up on the landing.

Madison
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:45 PM
I at one point developed that habit, and my last trainer fixed it with a combination of things. First in my flat work we did exercises to build my strength and balance, such as double-posting (hold yourself up for two beats, sit for one, up for two, sit for one). Then we did gymnastics because you will certainly know if you are popping up too soon in a gymnastics line ;) And finally I had to hold my two point position for several strides after. It takes the combination of strength-building and consistent, conscientious mental effort to correct it -- bad habits are so hard to get rid of! Good luck!

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
Adding to what everyone else said: check your stirrup length. Try riding with a shorter stirrup. You'll get used to it.

Can someone video you?

When all else fails, grab mane.

MoonPie730
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all of the GREAT advice! Yes, I can get a video taken of me and I will get one posted. I recently shortened my stirrups and I noticed that in my last lesson I was not throwing my body like I normally do. I also can get stuck in the saddle...could this be contributing to my landing?

Go Fish
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:06 AM
Hard to say without seeing what you're doing. Hell, it could even be something your horse is doing in the air, or on landing. Getting stuck on your ass usually means that you're lower leg has failed you...try grabbing mane in the air as you land to stay in two point and see if that helps. If it does, you may have your answer.

jetsmom
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:12 AM
Weight train concentrating on back (upper and lower) and abs.
Google "Legendary abs/synergism". Great ab workout.

Ray
Jan. 5, 2010, 06:28 AM
my trainer made me pretend there is a large branch to fit under after the jump, sounds silly but it works. So, jump, land, one stride (under the branch) then change the hip angle).

also, heels down, but soft enough to absorb the impact and knees pointing down (at least thats the feeling).

good advice on core strength by other posters. Pilates for me....

MoonPie730
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:06 PM
OKay I am going to try some of these exercises and tips and post a video when I get a chance. I definitely think there's a strong possibility my horse contributes to the problem, but I do know my problem carries over to other horses as well.

AllyandPete
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:40 PM
I used to have that problem, then I got obsessive about coming up to early and ended up going the opposite way and pressing on their neck for a stride after the jump. I am just now finding the happy medium.