PDA

View Full Version : Resolutions...

jazzrider
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:45 PM
I hate resolutions, particularly those related to weight and exercise. :( So this year mine are related to horseback riding.

In 2010, I resolve to find more places to ride within 100 miles from our place, get my boy Luke out on trail with a more diverse riding group (we ride a lot with just my hubby, and Luke gets a bit herd bound to his horse), and spend more quality time in the saddle. I also resolve to do a better job of keeping my saddle pads clean. :rolleyes:

Anyone else? :)

JollyBadger
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:55 AM
One of my favorite things I've heard about New Year's Resolutions. . .is not to make them.:winkgrin:

Instead of a Resolution, have a "theme" for the year.

For example, rather than a resolution to "lose 30lbs" or "go down a couple of pant sizes," have a 2010 theme of coming up with ways to live healthier, find fun or interesting ways to exercise and eat right.

In the case of horses, maybe have a theme of "expanding your horizons." Like you said, riding with a more diverse group of people, or finding more places in your area to ride, or participating in a competitive trail ride just for the fun of it.

Speaking as someone who routinely screws up her NY Resolutions within the first few days - or doesn't bother to make them at all - the "theme" idea is more appealing to me.:)

dacasodivine
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:01 AM
I'm just resolving to ride more. Once it dries up enough out there.

JollyBadger
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:06 AM
I'm just resolving to ride more. Once it dries up enough out there.

The ground is nice and hard here. . .because it's frozen. That wouldn't be bad if it was flat, but it's choppy and uneven and no fun for horses or people to walk on.

In the spring, it will eventually thaw. . .into a sloppy, goopy mess.

Would it be wrong for me to pray for a little bit of a drought this year?:no:

matryoshka
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:20 AM
Can't think of a resolution right now. Still trying to figure out whether I'll even be able to ride any more. Maybe that should be my resolution: stop whining and figure.it.out.

I'd rather make out a To Do List for the year:
Get pony going under saddle.
have her trained to drive.
Find somebody who can allow me to ride in a side saddle to see if that will work for me.
Fix the footing problem around my barn (already am working on this one).

Simbalism
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:27 AM
My horse resolution is try something new. I think this may have something to do with cattle(like team penning or something similar). Continue with my hunter lessons and ride as much as possible. I belong to two riding clubs both of which do a monthly trail ride at area state parks,so that helps get me out and about. I want to camp at least a couple of times this year, so will see what rides are scheduled in the general area.
As for just general things I want to live healthier this year.

dacasodivine
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:25 PM
The ground is nice and hard here. . .because it's frozen. That wouldn't be bad if it was flat, but it's choppy and uneven and no fun for horses or people to walk on.

In the spring, it will eventually thaw. . .into a sloppy, goopy mess.

Would it be wrong for me to pray for a little bit of a drought this year?:no:

We had a drought earlier this year and then it started raining, and raining, and raining. My property does not normally have a problem draining but it's a mud pit right now so I have a sloppy, goopy mess right now! Keep in mind, be careful what you wish for.

The horses have been in my yard for the past month because it's the only place that has dry ground. It's going to need some serious repair come spring.

Choppy frozen ground doesn't sound like much fun either. Hopefully we'll both have a good spring for riding.

dacasodivine
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:27 PM
matryoshka reminded me that I want to get the pony started this year, too.

tabula rashah
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:28 PM
Can't think of a resolution right now. Still trying to figure out whether I'll even be able to ride any more. Maybe that should be my resolution: stop whining and figure.it.out.

I'd rather make out a To Do List for the year:
Get pony going under saddle.
have her trained to drive.
Find somebody who can allow me to ride in a side saddle to see if that will work for me.
Fix the footing problem around my barn (already am working on this one).

If you want to PM me, I know someone who does side saddle in our area.

tabula rashah
Jan. 4, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hmm..
Riding-wise I have 2 that I need to get going and one that I need to put some basics on get sold (hopefully). Also have plans to start back to some competing this year and my goal is to be ready to do something by the end of April (we'll see how the weather cooperates with that one;) )

BigHorseLittleHorse
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:40 PM
I also resolve to do a better job of keeping my saddle pads clean.

With no access to a washing machine where I am allowed to wash horse stuff - I came up with another solution for sweaty crusty pads. I now ride with a baby pad under my square pad, and after every single ride, I scrub it in the sink with a scrub brush and hang it up to dry. It doesn't stay white, but since it's under my regular pad, I don't care. But at least I can get the sweat and dirt off. I also have a spare in case the first one isn't dry by the next ride...

AJHorsey
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:18 PM
To get Strider even more fit this year, all while trying to transfer some of the calmness of his Dressage work to out in the great wide open. (No, I do NOT want to gallop the whole 50 miles, it's not good for you or me! And I don't want to go bra shopping again and getting oversized shirts b/c my shoulders are getting to bulky from holding you back! LOL!)
Trail Break my new baby... though not much left to do, after his second ride we are able to stand still while I took down a small limb that was caught up in vines. He just stood there while it fell onto his tush! (What a wonderful 4 yr old!) Just want some miles before declaring him a Mom- horse.

Mersy
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:58 PM
R I D E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minuspride
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:18 PM
I love the theme idea JollyBadger. Mr.Minuspride is a beginner rider with a saint of a horse (Rally).
A few months ago, we both had horses and had the rest of our lives planned out on horseback. Now, my arabian gelding has passed away unexpectedly and our main goal is to get Mr.minuspride riding like a pro, so that when I can find the perfect new horse, he'll be ready.
Our theme will be...as much time as possible in the saddle practicing and learning.
Rally is a little rolly-polly at the moment and we plan to work on that as well!! Get in shape and practice, practice, practice.

minuspride
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:20 PM
With no access to a washing machine where I am allowed to wash horse stuff - I came up with another solution for sweaty crusty pads. I now ride with a baby pad under my square pad, and after every single ride, I scrub it in the sink with a scrub brush and hang it up to dry. It doesn't stay white, but since it's under my regular pad, I don't care. But at least I can get the sweat and dirt off. I also have a spare in case the first one isn't dry by the next ride...

What a great idea! I'm sure your horse thanks you.
Our barn owner was kind enough to give the boarders a tack room washing machine. What a gift!!!