PDA

View Full Version : Barns in Ann Arbor, MI

SMNG
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hello everyone. I am going to be moving to Ann Arbor in August, and I wanted to start my search for a barn to bring my horses to. I have lived in Michigan for most of my life and I am familiar with some of the barns in the area, however I would like to hear some other opinions on them. A few of the barns that I am familiar with are Hidden Lane and Hawthorn Hill (both of which I have heard good things about). I am going to be living in downtown Ann Arbor and am willing to drive up to 30 minutes, but would prefer to be somewhere closer. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jn4jenny
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the forums! I suggest searching the forums for both of those barn names as they have been discussed here before.

Both have good reputations. Be aware that Hidden Lane turns the horses out only for a few hours on a single day of the week. Both barns are an easy drive from downtown Ann Arbor. (I lived there for 5 years before moving to Ohio).

I assume, based on your list, that you're looking to do "A" circuit and want an in-house trainer?

ImJumpin
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:13 PM
Check your PMs.

SMNG
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:14 PM
It doesn't have to be an 'A' circuit barn, or one with an in-house trainer. I have been doing the 'A' shows for many years now and I have cut back a lot on showing throughout college, and now I will be starting graduate school and probably will not be able to show much. Those were just two of the barns that I regularly saw at the shows, so that is why I was familiar with them. I am not sure of what else is around the area.

Thanks for the heads up about the turnout issues at Hidden Lane. I would like to go somewhere that my horses are able to go outside everyday when the weather permits. That is something that it important to me.

Gracious
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
You may also want to check out Jen Blades at Willowbrooke. I'm not sure how far outside of Ann Arbor she is, but the U of M team trains with her so I would assume it's not too far of a hike.

emc23220
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:33 PM
I rode with Jen Blades in College; loved her. I kept my horse at a barn called Windy Ridge in Dexter that was only 15 minutes from campus, at that time Jen travelled there for lessons once a week but that was quite a while ago. I left Michigan 7 years ago; Stoney Ridge was still operating then, not sure about now.

Lucky187
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:42 PM
I left Michigan 7 years ago; Stoney Ridge was still operating then, not sure about now.

Stoney Ridge got sold to I believe a dressage trainer (dont quote me on that though lol) and isn't hosting shows anymore. It was my favorite show ever and I'm still really sad about it! :( Although, Hunter's Run took over finals and they did a great job with it as well...but it's just not Stoney.

Anyway, as far as barns close to Ann Arbor, Shannon Hamilton's facility, Hidden Creek Farm is only about 30 minutes away from downtown - it's in Pinckney, but the back roads to get there from the AA area are easy and fast. I know she turns out all day and all night if the weather is good-no 3 hour rotations or anything like that. I know Sharone Peters has a barn in Ann Arbor thats called Hedge and Turf, but I'm not sure what the turn out schedule is there and Jen Blades place is only like a half hour away as well and it's huge with a huge lesson program and huge showing program, ect. There is another barn - Forte Farm that looks really nice and I know that I know the trainer from my junior years (I have no clue how- Im sure from running into her at shows), but I dont know anyone personally who rides there. Hunter's Run is is also pretty close by, 35ish minutes down 23 south from AA. If I think of any others I'll let ya know, but thats all I could think of off the top of my head.

graciegrey
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
Just wanted to note that Hidden lane will do as many days turnout as you want, you just pay for that. They have a really reasonable rate for board plus 3 lessons a week included. Cindy will turnout how you want, it is just not included in the base board. also- she is right at the edge of town, a super easy drive from campus (I rode there through undergrad at UofM).

I wish I lived in that part of the country still, because out here it seems the average show barn rate with turnout is 850/mo, and no lessons included!!!!

anyway, I just had to put a plug in for my alma mater barn and the excellent care there :)

chunky munky
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:58 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that Jimmy and Sari Clapperton are at Stoney Ridge, They are wonderful people and great trainers. You may want to check that out.

allpurpose
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:03 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that Jimmy and Sari Clapperton are at Stoney Ridge, They are wonderful people and great trainers. You may want to check that out.

Yes, that's right.

You might also want to check out Cobblestone Farm in Dexter. It's 20 minutes from downtown Ann Arbor. It's primarily an eventing barn, but there are folks from the hunter/jumper and dressage world too. Lots of trails and land to ride on, large indoor, two outdoor rings, turnout all day every day. Cathy Henderson is the trainer.

PM me for details if you'd like.

SMNG
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I am getting excited to go see some of these barns soon (well, in the spring when the snow melts!). I have added quite a few barns to my list, and if anyone has anymore ideas, please let me know!

graciegrey, I will definitely not rule out Hidden Lane. I am very interested in that barn, especially because it is so close to where I will be living. I am hoping something can work out with the turn out situation.

Thanks again!