PDA

View Full Version : Degenerative Arthritis Of Both Hips

Cfourhorses
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:05 PM
Has anyone been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis of the hips & if so how did you deal with it and riding? I have been recently diagnosed by an x-ray and it explains why straddling my horse and riding has become almost unbearably painful over the past 3 yrs. I thought I just needed to ride more and my muscles and soft tissue would eventually stretch out and I would be OK. Any amount of riding did not ease the pain and range of motion. When I straddle often I break out into a sweat at times because of the pain. The pain will go down my thighs, across the buttocks and the groin area, all symptomatic of my condition. My last trail ride in Nov. I had to cut the ride short and walk home because I could not tolerate the PAIN any more. Now that I am diagnosed, I know why I hurt but am not happy I have arthritic hips! My conditioned is reported as "mild", ( if this is mild..that does not say much for my riding life!), and I have narrowed hip sockets, bone spurs & spurs on the femur heads as well. I have begun physical therapy. I see a pain management Dr. mid month and will see if I can get hip injections. I also see an orthopedist mid Feb. I have talked to some non-riding people who said it only gets worse and must be very advanced to have hip replacement surgery. I am scared. I am going to be 50 this summer and never thought of not riding especially this early....the physical therapist said I have very restricted motion of my hips. 1.5 yrs. ago I went to ride my bicycle and had sharp pain in my hips when my leg went up high with the pedal. I did not even bother trying to bicycle again. Other than being in so much pain trying to ride, I most likely would have not sought medical attention yet. I recently began taking Chondrotin, glacosamine & HA pills. I also have tried Tylenol, Ibuprofen all all the over the counter pain meds before riding. I am not feeling encouraged and do not wish to ride side saddle!!
Thanks in advance for input.
Cfourhorses

Zu Zu
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:23 PM
I KNEW :eek: PAIN ~ What I do know NOW is that after my hip replacement I GOT MY LIFE BACK !!! :cool:Riding and All ~ without THAT PAIN! Don't be scared - you will grieve this condition ~ that's natural but when it is about unbearable pain all day - then you will decide on THR and as soon as you wake up ~ will no longer feel that terrible pain ever again.:yes:. I ride and jog hackney ponies and do all the things that I was almost unable to endure for years. My diagnose was arthritis but it turned out to be a bone deformity - that's why the meds never worked for me. I will be happy :) to answer any questions you have -you will get through this pain and you will again ride:yes: painfree !! I cried the first time I rode after surgery TEARS of SHEER :lol:Happinness !

pintopiaffe
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:50 PM
Only one, but the pain *was* excruciating.

What has helped:
Chiro. First set of xrays, ball of joint was basically almost sitting on part of the socket, rather than in the middle of it. Last set of xrays looked like a normal hip with no injury.

Saddle: Finding the right saddle has been the only thing that keeps me walking after a ride. It's going to vary per person. For me, it's an Ancient Passier. In the beginning, a Rider-Grip pad on the seat helped DRAMATICALLY, as did adding thinline pads for the horse. Combo got me back in real riding shape. Before that, a very different saddle, a treeless Fhoenix got me BACK riding after a couple of years of doing horribly with the hip locking up post-riding. (go to get up at work, go 'plop' and say nasty words... )

Nutrition: Avoiding foods that cause inflammation for me. This is going to vary per person too.

NSAIDS: Stacking them. Different classes can be stacked every 2 hrs. A 'work' day for me looks like this: 800mg Ibu with breakfast. 2 or 3 Aspirin 2 hrs later, 800mg Ibu, followed by aspirin. I try not to OD on any of them... Tylenol does nothing for me, never has.

Rx: find the one that works for you. I loved Trammadol. Ironically, I can't take it any more, because I'm now taking Cymbalta for the Fibro. BUT--the arthritis is helped dramatically by the Cymbalta too. There are lots of new Rx's out there worth looking at. Friend does fabulous with Celebrex, did nada for me. We're all different.

The sad part is sometimes you have to find the right horse too. THANKFULLY with the Ancient Passier, I *can* still ride my stallion. When he gained about 250lbs the year we started really working in 3rd level, and piaffe etc., he gained most of it in topline. I cried during and after every ride for about 3 months before I figured out he'd gotten so wide I could not take that saddle on him any more. I had little hope of finding a saddle I *could* take. It hurts me far, far less to ride more normally shaped horses, especially those that are Pear shaped. Mine are all flat backed and stupid-wide. <shrugs> Believe it or not I'm changing my breeding program around because of that!

Too narrow can be just as bad. Sometimes the rider & horse just do not match.

Friend with one hip replacement that did NOT go well is riding a Foxtrotter now and that is doing wonders for her. Feels BETTER after riding. So it's going to vary greatly, but you DON'T have to live with the pain.

tollertwins
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:48 AM
Given what your pain feels like, you may have some other cartilage and bone issues that are leading to the arthritis.

I had 'impingement' in the joint (bone deformity thing) - trashed a gasket of cartilage around the joint.

Riding wasn't pleasant, but sort of do-able....Had an op to try to fix it and the joint went downhill in a BIG hurry. Haven't been able to ride at all since that op. Range of motion is REALLY bad - and even putting my leg to the side hurts.

Note that the arthritis on the x-rays looked 'mild', but when the OS got into the joint he said that the cartilage was actually pretty trashed, and the 'arthritis' just hadn't shown up on x-ray yet.

Now have a hip replacement scheduled later this month.

And EVERYBODY is telling me it's like getting your life back! There is a forum on bonesmart.org if you want to poke around some on hip replacements, and you can also google 'femoral acetabular impingement'...

tollertwins
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:52 AM
Pinto, how come you can't take tramadol w/ Cymbalta?

Cfourhorses
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:11 PM
I KNEW :eek: PAIN ~ What I do know NOW is that after my hip replacement I GOT MY LIFE BACK !!! :cool:Riding and All ~ without THAT PAIN! Don't be scared - you will grieve this condition ~ that's natural but when it is about unbearable pain all day - then you will decide on THR and as soon as you wake up ~ will no longer feel that terrible pain ever again.:yes:. I ride and jog hackney ponies and do all the things that I was almost unable to endure for years. My diagnose was arthritis but it turned out to be a bone deformity - that's why the meds never worked for me. I will be happy :) to answer any questions you have -you will get through this pain and you will again ride:yes: painfree !! I cried the first time I rode after surgery TEARS of SHEER :lol:Happinness !

Wow, sounds wonderful! My primary Dr.'s nurse said I was a long way from a replacement because of my age and it is "mild". I am sure I will have many questions. Thank you so much! Ride on!
Cfourhorses

Cfourhorses
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have tried different saddles and I do not notice a difference at this point. I do have a wide horse. This past weekend I went to see a couple horses I thought may be less wide, I did not mount either one as they were not going to be still for mounting at the mounting block. My little mare is so good and patient and waits for me to get in position which can be as long as 5 minutes before I can straddle enough to get my foot in the stirrup. I will keep all this in mind and appreciate the input!! Thank you.
Cfourhorses

Cfourhorses
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hi,
Thank you. The physical therapist did say since I am so tight/restricted in my leg range of motion, it is possible that could be causing the spurs but she added we may never know.
Cfourhorses

Cfourhorses
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
Interesting. I cannot see the orthopedist until mid Feb. The receptionist at his office said there is a "new" procedure call "scoping"...she did not know if I would be a candidate or not but said it is so new that the Dr.'s there do not do it but would refer me.....Good luck with your replacement!!
Cfourhorses

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
I had both hips replaced at the same time about 4 yrs ago (upper 40's)- and it gave me my life back too! Prior to the replacement, I had trouble walking, riding anything too wide, dismounting, leading horses bc I couldn't move quickly enough, etc. Couldn't sleep for the pain. Any palliative treatment was only going to delay the inevitable. I went to three different good orthopedic surgeons and finally found Dr Rothman in Philly who said he would do both at the same time and give me the OK to ride and skate. Surgery done first week of October, my rehab was walking, and I started riding again in mid December. Since that time I am back to riding regularly and playing ice hockey. The walk to the barn is not a slow painful task. Why wait? The writing is probably on the wall. Go for it!

pintopiaffe
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:25 PM
Toller, Trammadol is counter-indicated because I guess it is a similar drug class or works on similar things...

I am sure that joint replacement is a good thing for some, but just be careful.

My good friend and mentor has never been the same since her surgery, and the surgery went really well. But there has been nerve stuff (numbness) that wasn't there before, and some other issues...

Cfourhorses
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:25 PM
I have not seen the orthopedist yet. The earliest they could see me is mid Feb. I am on the cancellation list. I wonder how long the down time is w/a hip replacement? I am a care giver of the animals, (work off some of the horse's board), and my husband who does not drive and is partially paralyzed and I care for another lady who is mentally challenged that resides with us. I also run my own business out of the house and it is somewhat physically demanding. I do not think any time would be a good time for me to be convalescing. One step at a time. It seems I would need a Dr. to approve a replacement for insurance. I am not riding until I see the Dr. and what the options are. I am interested to hear more about the "scoping" and if I am a candidate. At this point all I know is why I hurt riding. Being "down" for any length of time is an over whelming thought.

tollertwins
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:45 PM
Yep - hip scope is what I had in April...You just have to have 'issues' to be a candidate for the scope. Whether or not they actually try to FIX it via scope is something else again.

They can see really, really quickly via scope just how bad the arthritis is. First guy I went to would have pulled out and told me I needed a THR due to the level of damage in the joint (even tho not much showed up on X-ray). Second guy is one of the 'scope gods' and tried to fix it anyhow....

Pinto - I've been on crutches since April, and my pelvis is sitting directly on the femur. I don't have just a whole lotta choice at this point.

tollertwins
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:49 PM
Cfourhorses - what part of the country are you in? I could schlep you some names....

It sounds like the other replacement poster had direct anterior replacement - which is what I'm scheduled for as well. Faster recovery (altho you do get the chance of numbness in the upper thigh...but I'll take that chance!).

I also have names of some scope people here and there.

Zu Zu
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:14 PM
I was gone from the daily care of my animals for 88 days ~ toughest part was that ! :eek:"That" being gone - my absence was extended about three weeks due to a family illness but all the same I would not have been able to do water buckets and the stall cleaning ... any sooner than 88 days . When I returned I had to be careful but really was able to do everything again:cool:~ I am glad I waited the full 88 days. Ask me another question ? I remember it all - the roughest part for me was the missing my life ~ having never ever been laid up:eek: or in the hospital !I wish I had l"HEARD" my medical crew who said "JUST LET IT HAPPEN ~ THE HEALING ~ DON"T RUSH IT ~ RELAX ! Just not my nature - but boy was it nice:cool: to spend the first full day at the barn again !!!

Zu Zu
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:18 PM
[ Being "down" for any length of time is an over whelming thought.[/quote]Title should have read ~ If I could do it ~ you can do it ! I repeat I know where you are - you can do this if the doctor says you need a THR ~ if I could :eek: you can !! I promise:yes: - I can give you all types of tips and Jingles !!! Cothers can keep your spirits up !!!:cool:

Cfourhorses
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thank you everyone. Wow, at least I do not feel so alone anymore! This does not sound like an easy thing, (or at least a quick thing), to fix:no:
I see the pain Dr. 2/15, the receptionist for the orthopedist said to ask him to inject my hips....it is a starting place......
Thank you everyone, you are so kind to take the time to share w/me. I would have NEVER imagined this to happen....I am the type of person that works even when running a fever....I rode until my 8th month of pregnancy, I was mowing the field on the tractor the day I delivered.....

I am in NY state.

camohn
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:58 PM
Scoping will just take a better peek with a leetle camera.
Xrays are not perfect by a long shot. Can't tell ya how many folks had xrays that "did not look that bad" and when the ortho got in there he could not believe how awful it looked. Stuff hides!! Most severe hip problems at a young-ish age are caused by 1) previous serious injuries 2) rheumatoid (inherited, not the usual wear and tear) arthritis or 3) a congenital hip socket deformity........think big ball in a too shallow socket.
Spurs are NOT caused by stiffness. They are caused by something not wearing properly. Stiffness is a result and not a cause.
Injections will decrease inflammation but they will do nothing to get rid of spurs. If you have spurs they are causing the inflammation so the source of the problem is still there. The spurs have to go.
Family doctors are NOT the best source of otho referrals. Even if he is the guy that has to write a referral for you, shop around on your own for the best guy your insurance will participate with. Ask at the local therapy offices for who they think are the docs whose patients get better faster/with fewer complications. They are NOT all equally skilled!!!
Non surgical:

try different saddles
one neighbor of mine with arthritis had to switch from QHs to Tennesee Walkers for her trail rides for a smoother, narrower horse.

tollertwins
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:45 AM
Also - if you are going to try injections, they can inject HA into the hip.

From what the radiologist who did mine said some people who aren't too far gone can get relief from the HA injections for quite some time.

Be prepared to hurt after the injections...your joint doesn't like getting all the fluid in it.

Also - it takes about 3 days for the cortisone to take effect, and about a week for the HA.

It DID make a difference for me, but I was so far gone it didn't last long.

Also - my insurance wouldn't pay for the HA - I had to pay for it myself (kind of like getting the good stuff in a hock....I think it was about $300).

And like the previous poster said - both docs I talked to re: scope said that they were suprised ALL THE TIME when they actually got in the joint. Apparently things have to be VERY advanced to show on x-ray.

Donkaloosa
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:07 PM
Finding the right pain meds that work for you is a biggie. I take Cymbalta --- which helps with pain as well as with depression (which is aggravated by pain). I've taken diclofenac for years, and it's the only NSAID that works for me (and I think I've tried them all!) Acupuncture may help you ---- it helps my arthritis. There are also lidocaine pain patches that can help a lot --- you can wear one up to 18 hours a day right over the areas causing the pain.

What they say about the age for various replacement surgeries isn't really gospel. I had both of my knees replaced before I was 50. Made a huge difference.

Be sure you get a good orthpod. My mom had a knee replaced by a total jerk --- he was a druggie who was arrested shortly afterwards for DUI, possession of crack, possession of paraphanalia, etc. --- she ended up unable to walk even after another doctor tried to correct the mess the first one made.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
Thank you everyone! Wow, a lot to consider here.:confused:
At least I no longer feel alone!!
Just called insurance: HA injections only covered for the knees . The ins. rep. stated there is no clinical evidence for it helping the hips.
I was hoping you all would have said a couple cortisone injections would hold me for another 10yrs. and I would be in riding comfort.......seems by the time hip issues are noticed there is no easy fix....
Cfourhorses

tollertwins
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:11 PM
Surgeons might let you purchase the HA directly from them - mine did....If they are injecting the cortisone anyway the actual injection doesn't cost anymore, and ins. pays for that part.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:16 PM
I can ask. What has happened here is the 2 big medical monopolies have taken over all the independent Dr.'s and what a Dr. would have done before merging they are not willing to do anymore....big business.....:no:

monstrpony
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:53 AM
My primary Dr.'s nurse said I was a long way from a replacement because of my age and it is "mild".

GET ANOTHER OPINION!! I got this nonsense from my first ortho and suffered for an additional two years. Everyone who saw me on a daily basis badgered me no end to get a replacement, but the almighty Dr had said exactly what you were told. Finally went to my GP (in tears) and asked for a second opinion. The second opinion Dr said it was a no-brainer for me to have a replacement, and, yes ... he gave me my life back.

I had to stay with a friend for three weeks following surgery, until I was released to drive (I live alone). I had a college student farm-sitting during that time, but my 17.2h draft cross had an abscess that needed a soaking wrap, so there I was, standing on one leg (can't bend at hip on replaced side) next to my walker, wrestling with animalintex, vetrap and ductape.

Anyhow, it sounds like you may need both done at once; you will definitely need help from what you describe.

In any event, good luck, and keep us posted on what you & your Drs decide.

Bank of Dad
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:06 PM
As some of the above posters know, I had hip replacement surgery Dec 1, 09. I was not in terrible pain all the time, but it killed me to ride. Also , getting out of car and seats was hard. I had no pain while sleeping. But it was never going to improve. Codeine helped a little but who wants to be on all that stuff? Even all the NSAIDS kill your stomach after a while.

Each week I get better and better. I had the minimally invaisive anterior approach. No muscle cut. I can do 1/2 mile on the treadmile and bike now, at slow speeds. I don't need a cane any more, I can drive, I can lead a horse, just not carry buckets, hay, or bend down. I hope after Jan 21, I can do those things.

Don't wait until you are crippled to have it fixed. You need your healthy parts to get you thru the recovery. Talk to several orthopedists. Try to find one who does this type of surgery and has had lots lots of experience with it.

Good luck. I hope to ride in April, after the ice melts.

Zu Zu
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
I had one injection into my hip and it did not make one bit of difference - so I did not opt for that again - but the meds ~ none of them worked for me either. The only thing that took my pain away and allowed me to "live" was the THR. I waited way too long also - wish I had had it done years before.

Bank of Dad
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
I had two cortisone injections. With the first one, I waited a week and started riding, and the pain came back. With the second, I had it right before I left for an Alaskan trip. I was pain free for several weeks, until the last day when I went riding, and hello pain.

camohn
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:33 PM
As some of the above posters know, I had hip replacement surgery Dec 1, 09. I was not in terrible pain all the time, but it killed me to ride. Also , getting out of car and seats was hard. I had no pain while sleeping. But it was never going to improve. Codeine helped a little but who wants to be on all that stuff? Even all the NSAIDS kill your stomach after a while.

Each week I get better and better. I had the minimally invaisive anterior approach. No muscle cut. I can do 1/2 mile on the treadmile and bike now, at slow speeds. I don't need a cane any more, I can drive, I can lead a horse, just not carry buckets, hay, or bend down. I hope after Jan 21, I can do those things.

Don't wait until you are crippled to have it fixed. You need your healthy parts to get you thru the recovery. Talk to several orthopedists. Try to find one who does this type of surgery and has had lots lots of experience with it.

Good luck. I hope to ride in April, after the ice melts.

The important thing here is that to be a candidate for the minimally invasive approach the hips can't be "too far gone".By the time most folks get to the ortho to consider the surgery they are too advanced and not a candidate for it. This is where GPs telling everyone not to go to an ortho consult as they are not bad enough yet is a real problem. If more people DID go sooner more would be good candidates for the MI procedure.

Zu Zu
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:40 PM
I had two cortisone injections. With the first one, I waited a week and started riding, and the pain came back. With the second, I had it right before I left for an Alaskan trip. I was pain free for several weeks, until the last day when I went riding, and hello pain.
My one cortisone injection did nothing for my pain ~ meds did not help either - I was in pain at all times except when riding. My diagnose was wrong not arthritis after all ! When the THR was performed the doctor found I had a bone deformity - said it should have been fixed a long time before :eek:he didn't know how I had survived with it as long as I did. Since THR I am pain free all the time.

mtngirl
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:15 AM
I started to have them more and more often and the doctor would only do them so many times. Although cortisone may help with inflamation and pain, it's not kind to the bone, and the shot itself can be quite painful

I'm one year post op from a right THR. Mine was a posterior approach, thus a much longer incision. My original ortho also told me I was too "young". Finally the discomfort and pain drove me to find someone else. Thank goodness I did! Doctor gave me his blessing to do anything I wanted except run regularly and bend in a certain manner (a weird angle which I could never do anyhow) after 12 weeks.

I know that seems like a long time, but it was well worth it. Once I got past the 5 week point, I was pretty much doing everything I needed except carry heavy weights and bending certain ways...and I found other ways to achieve those chores. I now ride pain free, whereas I had gotten to the point of giving up riding.

Keep searching. There are doctors out there who are willing to do more for younger people. After all, you need to remember that quality of life now will also affect the quality of your life later.

ReSomething
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:42 AM
Do the PT faithfully, it'll keep you going longer. Both my parents had THR in their 60's and Dad never did keep up with stretching, now his knees are gone too, and I'll bet he could benefit from the Cymbalta too. The pain really takes it out of you, honestly, do doctors want you rolling on the ground and moaning before they take you seriously? Or is it the false presentation to acquire drugs they are trying to avoid?

I've been taking the Osteobiflex regularly for about three years now and once I get loaded (about two weeks) it works pretty well - God help me if I run out or forget for a week or two - Aleve is a good NSAID. Tramadol was absolutely great but unfortunately triggered headaches and nausea. Celebrex was the best.

Best of luck to you, I'll be in your shoes within the decade, I'm pretty sure.

tollertwins
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:14 AM
Hey Bank of Dad! I was wondering how you were doing! Good to hear from you!

Cfourhorses
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:55 PM
Went to PT today. I was riding the incumbent bike and began to speak to the lady next to me. She has an arthritic knee. She looked like she was in her mid to upper 50's. She does not like the orthopedist I am seeing next month (she is the only neigh sayer thus far about him). She went about 100 miles away to the University of Rochester to see a sports orthopedist who is not a surgeon. They have her doing exercises and she no longer uses her cane and is skiing again without surgery. She told me to strengthen my muscles and loose weight, (yes I am over weight and have been up and down my entire life, thus far have not qualified for the gastric by-pass). I agree strengthening muscles and loosing weight is good. All so much to ingest, but I appreciate everyone's input so much!! My PT said I should have come in sooner, I have told her the adaptions I have made in the past 3 yrs. and she said it has not helped me. Again, 3 yrs. ago I rode pain free...I just thought I was out of shape. Getting in & out of cars vs. trucks painful. Added a 6" high hat to my toilet about 1.5 yrs. ago. I have a foam mat & feather mattress on my bed. Next week I see the pain management Dr. She asked if there was a saddle I could use that did not cause me to have to spread my legs, I told her I am not riding side saddle and she said what about a little box like they use on elephants......there is an idea, I can buy an elephant and get a little box seat to trail ride :(

Zu Zu
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:09 PM
......there is an idea, I can buy an elephant and get a little box seat to trail ride :([/quote]Great idea ?! BUT Don't forget to get a new muck bucket also !:lol: And What size pitch fork would work for that?!:lol::lol:

Cfourhorses
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:18 PM
Good question. Will ask my husband, early in life he worked for the circus with elepahnts :winkgrin:

Zu Zu
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hey Cfourhorses speaking of circus ~ another plus of having had my THR ~ I can ~:cool: ride my unicycle again !!!! Really !!!!:D

Cfourhorses
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:55 PM
That is great!!:)

tollertwins
Jan. 7, 2010, 05:21 PM
HAH! I couldn't even get my leg in position to TRY sidesaddle!

There is a book called 'heal your hips' that was written by an orthopedic surgeon. It has a water program that you can try to see if buildling muscle works.

I'd ignore the surgical stuff in there - it's the 'old' method and not the minimally invasive ones.

The author generally sez to try it for 6 weeks...if it helps great, if it doesn't, you're going to need surgery....

Cfourhorses
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:36 PM
Great, thanks. I bought a 3 month membership to a gym. My 1st PT said not to exercise...don't ask..he had me blowing up balloons and doing breathing exercises. He was rude and I found another PT. She said I can do the recumbent bike and the elliptical. Unfortunately there is no pool w/this gym. I will check w/my library for the book!!
Cfourhorses

Library does not have the book but can buy used off the net. Found this link by the Dr.
http://www.hiphelp.com/pages/hottopics.html#Anchor-Resurfacing-35882

tollertwins
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:12 PM
one thing on the bikes....my pt said that sometimes the recumbant puts more strain on the joint.

i have issues with the seats on the upright bikes pushing on the back of the joint.

i actually had the most pain relief from putting on raucous music and running in place in chest deep water, and doing quad machines. for whatever reason, if i really work the quads the hips will shut up for at least a little....

Cfourhorses
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:29 PM
The recumbent does not hurt me to pedal, however my heels want to turn in and keep hitting the metal part the pedal is attached to. The regular upright bike hurts me when the pedal comes up...then I get screaming pain.

whicker
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Cfourhorses,

You might research (PRP) platelet rich plasma prolotherapy. It uses your own stem cells to regenerate your own damaged tissue. My dr is one of the great gurus (Mayo Friedlis) is using it for hips. I have done it for my back and it has been much less expensive than surgery and no down time.
Check his site for information
www,treatingpain.com

If you want to p.m. me, I can tell you more. I have written about it, so there is more info in my posts, too.

Don't worry about location, he does referrals that are terrific.

RMJacobs
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hi, Cfourhorses. Are you the person I know from About.com who I suggested should post here? Hope so as you have gotten lots of excellent feedback.

I guess I'm not the only person who thinks the "you're too young for a replacement" line is a bunch of baloney. Hope you can find a doctor who is actually interested in fixing the problem as well as can be done before you're so damaged that nothing can be done.

Rebecca

tollertwins
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:41 AM
As just an FYI....Pam Goodrich had both of her hips replaced when she was 35 (like 15 years ago or something). A number of doctors tried to convince her to just get to the point she was in a wheelchair and wait till she was 50.

That's mostly because revisions were so difficult. Now if you're under 60 or so they do uncemented because if they HAVE to revise the femoral component later it's easier.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:02 AM
Yes I am :winkgrin: Thank you for suggesting it! I ordered the book that was advised by someone on here too, Healing Hips.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:06 AM
Tollertwins: This all sounds so awful!! It is scary because I am the care taker in the house. The only driver, self employed and do not have the funds to carry me over an extended down time. I would have to sell my horses so I would not have the board to pay while I underwent a surgery & recovery like this. Then perhaps once healed I could get another horse. Nothing that makes me feel warm & fuzzy, life changing stuff :(

tollertwins
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:40 PM
Total bummer....

If you're not bone-on-bone (which they would have called 'severe' in the x-ray), the radiologist who did my HA said that hes seen that keep people going for years.....but you need to find somebody who will either sell it to you directly - or at least give you a scrip to get some. I think that they will do cortisone about every 4 or 5 months.

If it's bone-on-bone, that is REALLY tough to manage.

My concern would be more that given the severity of the pain you're in, there's more damage than what is showing up on x-ray.

If it's mostly synovitis and not something like a labral tear - the cortisone would likely help a lot...Does Celebrex help at all?

Cfourhorses
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
If it were not for riding & trying to ride a bike I would not have really realized I was in pain...I have a dull ache I thought was back muscular pain, but now I know it is the arthritis, nothing huge. I have made some adjustments at home like adding 6" to the toilet seat, with that I am not in pain. I certainly do not feel or hear anything grinding. Once my daughter graduates college and gets her masters she can take over her own horse expenses....that would be a huge help. My husband's illness last year drained us considerably. He had a rare side effect to his chemo which has left him partially paralyzed and now he is dependent on me. He is back to work. I transport him or a co worker does when available. Have not even seen a Dr. yet, so I have not been on Celebrex for this. I see the Dr. Wed. eve. A pain management Dr., then the Orthopedist mid. Feb. I have started PT.
Just called the pain management Dr.'s office and he does not do PRP.

TouchstoneAcres
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:06 PM
Wow, sounds wonderful! My primary Dr.'s nurse said I was a long way from a replacement because of my age and it is "mild". I am sure I will have many questions. Thank you so much! Ride on!
Cfourhorses

That is a common thing said by docs not familiar with resurfacing. For a resurf, you can't wait too long. The bone has to be ok but the cartilage can be worn off. The beauty of it is that you retain more bone, keep the femoral neck, and do not run a rod down your leg. If necessary it can be redone later on and worst case a total hip replacement (where they take off the femoral neck and run a shaft down the fermur) can be done later. The docs say wait because (a) they are not trained to do the new type resurfacing and (2)think you can only have a couple replacements in a lifetime. So they make you wait in pain till you're 70 or something hoping the 2nd one will be at 85 then you are dead. I had my hip resurfaced at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore in 2005 by Dr. Mont and was riding 8 weeks later. It's the best part of my body now. I was part of the FDA trial and several types are fully approved now. Join the SurfaceHippy group on Yahoo for lots of info and lists of doctors who do it.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/?yguid=131672876

TouchstoneAcres
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:14 PM
Tollertwins: This all sounds so awful!! It is scary because I am the care taker in the house. The only driver, self employed and do not have the funds to carry me over an extended down time. I would have to sell my horses so I would not have the board to pay while I underwent a surgery & recovery like this. Then perhaps once healed I could get another horse. Nothing that makes me feel warm & fuzzy, life changing stuff :(

Depending on where you live I bet a COTHer would board your horse a couple months. Where are you? And do remember to look longer term as hard as it is. You can't get totally "lame." These things do not get better. If the cartilage is really going a little glucosamine or hA will not fix it. Been there. Best to beg for help, bite the bullet, tell any relatives it on htem for while, and get it fixed.

Some people with insurance problems had it done in Belgium or India. Think 45k here, 8k Belgium, 5k India. In India you recuperate at a 5 star spa! Our medical system is another topic....

TouchstoneAcres
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
Interesting. I cannot see the orthopedist until mid Feb. The receptionist at his office said there is a "new" procedure call "scoping"...she did not know if I would be a candidate or not but said it is so new that the Dr.'s there do not do it but would refer me.....Good luck with your replacement!!
Cfourhorses

That's not new. You are talking to a real oldoe I think!

camohn
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Cfourhorses
Interesting. I cannot see the orthopedist until mid Feb. The receptionist at his office said there is a "new" procedure call "scoping"...she did not know if I would be a candidate or not but said it is so new that the Dr.'s there do not do it

It is not new. If they think it is: they are way behind the times which is a worry unto itself..........
Now the minimally invasive techniques like resurfacing are "newer" (as in the past couple years.......not yesterday). But as previously noted, you cannot be in very bad shape for them and still need to get there sooner than later for them as well.

2Below
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have similar issues to OP, I had arthroscopic surgery in October to shave the bone spur off my femoral neck, clean up the torn labrum (lining of the socket) and make more room in the joint. I was on crutches almost 3 weeks. 2 weeks, no weight bearing, DH had to take care of the horses. The third week I started bearing more weight, using the crutches to regain full range of motion. 12 weeks of PT, 2X a week, I was recently discharged. I am free to run and ride, as tolerated. I am a part time professional and fortunately don't have many horses to ride right now, which is good because I just can't. I also had some arthritis in the joint, but the hope is this surgery will prevent a future THR. The doc said I'm young enough (34) that the torn labrum should heal now that the spur isn't constantly aggravating it. He also said it'll be a year before I'm fully recovered. I recommend finding a GOOD sports med ortho who will recommend a GOOD surgeon (mine is the doc for an NFL team, formally the doc for an NBA team). You might find all you need is a scope, which is obviously less invasive which =quicker recovery time. Good luck!

Cfourhorses
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
I read all your posts and appreciate your responses so much. Right now I am very confused. The local Dr. I see mid. Feb. does not do resurfacing and his office told me to call Rochester. I called Rochester and found a Dr. Drinkwater that does it, however if I see the local orthopedist in mid-Feb. Dr. Drinkwater will not see me for many more months as I would be considered seeking a 2nd opinion, if he sees me 1st I can get in 3/4. I do not know if I am even a candidate for resurfacing....and must cancel my local orthopedist to see Dr. Drinkwater and I may make the trip up to Rochester for nothing if I am not a candidate and then be back to square 1 or worse!!!!! :cry: It also seems no practice does all the methods I am looking into...I have yet to find a PRP Dr. within 100 miles of me.:cry: I guess what I am learning is that I must choose the treatment that I like the sounds of the most...then find a Dr. book an appointment with him/her and hope it all works out. I am over whelmed:cry:

Zu Zu
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
. I am over whelmed:cry:[/quote]
Hold on ! Step back and take a breath - you will find the "right" doctor ~ you will get a good plan and you will get this taken care of in the manner in which it should be treated. Please network and find a talented ortho surgeon - go for consult and then see what the next step is for you. Everyone is different ~ doctor will advise on which method is best for your needs. This is a long process to find doctor ~ meds ~treatments and then surgery if necessary. I will even ask my orth surgeon who he recs in your area as he studied in NY - please slow your stress you can do this step by step. I go for my 5 yr check up on 2-23-10. Jingles for you .

Cfourhorses
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thank you.
Just talked to Dr. Bishops office, (Local orthopedist), I see 2/15, and they said see him, do NOT cancel...if the resurfacing is what I need they will refer me and I should not be thrown to the back of the bus.
Cfourhorses

Zu Zu
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
Jingles ~ for you during this worrisome time. You can do (this ? )whatever it is that needs to be done! Because you want to ride and enjoy horses with your family ! You WILL !

Cfourhorses
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:11 AM
You have me pegged Zu Zu...I want to RIDE and enjoy the horses with my family...EXACTLY!;) At 5:00 I see the pain management Dr. Be interesting to see what he says about this. I still wake up and cannot believe it. I have this condition that is keeping me from the 1 thing I want to do most...BUT there are millions of people far worse off than I....my poor husband cannot even drive, he has little sympathy that I want to ride, he just wishes he could hold a pen again. Perspective. My prayers are with the poor people of Haiti.
Cfourhorses

Zu Zu
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:21 AM
Good Luck with your Dr. ~ I was EXACTLY ! where you are :yes: and now I am where you want to be :cool:~ keep your spirits up and know although this is not :eek: an easy road ~ you are on the pathway towards WHERE YOU WANT TO BE ! :yes: You will get there. Jingles & AO Always Optimistic !

Cfourhorses
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:19 AM
Just called my Blue Cross ins. and they no longer cover PRP treatment. They did in the beginning but no longer.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hi,
I am back from the pain management Dr. He wiggled my legs around some and said yes, I have some arthritis on my x-rays but that is not what is causing my pain. He said I have inflamed Sacroiliac joints from riding, OK,...so on 1/26 I am having my SI joints injected under fluoroscopic guidance. He said I may need more than one treatment. This sounds like an easier fix than I was expecting!! Beats hip replacement:-D I pray he is correct. I asked him if I should keep my orthopedist apt. and he said no need to. I am skeptical of Dr.'s and will believe it when I feel it!! I may be back in the saddle after all! I would love to be able to straddle my pony on long relaxing trail rides and maybe even get on my daughter's horse & keep her in form. It has been so hard not to be able to ride, or ride and look foolish. So that is where it stands now. I am not certain I want to cancel the orthopedist yet though, I am a BIG skeptic :-)

Zu Zu
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:54 PM
Good news ~ glad you have a plan ~ sending Jingles that 1/26 is the solution ! Please keep us updated. Jingles & AO Always Optimistic !

Bearhunter
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:51 PM
Very good news indeed. I am anxious to hear how the injection works.

I have also had miserable pain (lower back, hips) which have been made much worse by sitting and riding. I had herniated a disc several years ago but the pain would come and go. This pain rarely goes despite prolonged periods of "rest" (ie not riding) and stretching and or pilates. Ironically, I went to ride my horse today and he spooked a bit and trotted off NQR. The vet was coming anyway so he looked at him. In addition to needing his hocks done (he was due) the vet found his S.I. joint to be very sore and said he would benefit from an injection. I started reading about SI dysfunction and realize this is probably my problem too!!! I am calling the ortho in the a.m.!!!

Cfourhorses
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:54 AM
I will post my out come :)

tollertwins
Jan. 14, 2010, 09:02 PM
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

Backs and hips are wierd how they refer pain. I've had SI joint issues forever - but it's been because of my hips.

So now you have hip pain because of your SI joints.

If that's the major issue (and most of the pain guys are pretty good at these things), then you have a WAAAAAYYYYY easier trip.

Also - there are a number of exercises on the 'net that help reposition your SI's if you get 'out' in the joint. If I can find one article that was really good (and approved by my PT) I'll post a link.

monstrpony
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:55 PM
I've had both issues. I find that when my SI is acting up, I have to be very careful which stretches I do and to not over-do them. The hip was more limited range of motion and inability to tolerate long time in the saddle just sitting, less of an issue if moving. When my SI is really out, riding is out of the question, I can't even stand straight (and it takes about 5 minutes to get up from sitting).

Anyhow, good to hear you're getting started in unraveling it all!

Cfourhorses
Jan. 16, 2010, 08:36 PM
Saw my PT yesterday and she does not think my issues are just SI joints because of my restricted range of motion.....26th I am going to be injected. On Thurs. I see the orthopedist that does the newer procedure of resurfacing, (200 mile round trip).....all I can do is keep going until I exhaust all avenues and can RIDE again, I want to RIDE !!

Zu Zu
Jan. 16, 2010, 09:35 PM
. all I can do is keep going until I exhaust all avenues and can RIDE again, I want to RIDE
Yes, you are right ! Just keep pushing for answers and you will 1 .find the needed solution and then you will 2. get the treatment or procedure and then you will 3. ride Pain Free again ! It is a tough process finding the answers ~ you can do this ~ just pace yourself ~ for the struggle and long haul of this process. The rewards are worth the struggle. Jingles for you during this difficult time.

camohn
Jan. 17, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hopefully the SI is the problem. Another thing just to make sure you have had checked out before you have any surgery: Did any of the docs thoroughly examine your back along the way? As a previous poster noted....SI and back pain can refer into the hips as well. AKA a disc problem CAN make your hips hurt. Mine does that. MOST times a disc problem will also give you back pain...but not always. All I get is a "toothache" in my left hip. Fortunately for me the riding makes it better!!! Just want you rule that out too since you seem to have hip pain disproportionate to your xray results.

tollertwins
Jan. 17, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah...the husband has a degenerative disk at L4...makes his hip and leg hurt.

ETA: that doesn't really restrict ROM, tho.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 29, 2010, 10:02 AM
Went to Syracuse about my hips yesterday...not so good. I was born with shallow hip sockets, the Dr. asked if I had heard of hip dysplasia in dogs and of course I have. That is what I basically have...and the joints are worn out and almost bone on bone. He said I have a bout a 1 yr. window to have the resurfacing which lasts longer than replacements and has benefits. I would need to lose 40 lbs. before he would consider the resurfacing surgery for me and I could never gain the weight back or I would be risking fracturing my femur heads and the cap of the resurfacing:(. Then I would need the replacement anyway. He thinks I will need both hips replaced within 3 years. Not too thrilled. Many decisions of all kinds to make. He said he could inject my hips if I would like, but did not think that would have too much of an effect.

tollertwins
Jan. 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Bummer...

Resurf. doesn't last longer than all the THR's out there.....e.g. there are THR's that have the same head and socket as a resurf. E.g. large head metal on metal.
Mary Lou Retton had to have those when she was 38 - they didn't have resurfacing at that time. You can google on her and 'hip replacement' to get her story.

Go search "direct anterior" hip replacement - NOT JUST ANTERIOR! They cut muscles less and you are ambulatory faster. There are some docs who do the resurf as direct anterior as well - mine does, but I wasn't a candidate.

You might want to PM Bank of Dad - she had a total direct anterior....I think in early Dec.

I don't remember how old you said you were (I just had THR on Monday and am kinda groggy from vicodin)....but for either MOM THR or resurf they want you past child bearing age.

The resurf's are definitely a little tetchier as far as weight and bone size..e.g. my bones are very small and I have steep sockets, too, plus I'm 52 - so that was out. Could have found somebody to do it, but the chance of issues down the road was too high considering everything else I've been thru w/ this hip.

Couple of sites that might be of interest:

bonesmart.org
surfacehippy.info

Please note that there are zealots in both camps - ignore them and determine what is right for you.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 29, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thank you for your reply, will reread later and look up your links. I am 49 yrs. old. I have no one to help me, work off much of my 2 horses board and take care of a newly handicapped hubby that cannot drive and a mentally disabled woman...horses will have to be sold at least until I am on my feet again :eek:

Trying
Jan. 29, 2010, 12:22 PM
OMG!!! I am currently recouperating from my 3rd total hip replacement. The first one was in '07 and due to undiagnosed osteopenia, had to be do again within 4 wks. Not pleasant!! Started riding 2 mos later. then got hurt by tractor and out for 5 mos. Dec 15,'09 I had micro hip replacement on the left hip (before it degenerated into oblivion like rt. one and, if the weather would be nice, I could start riding again (walk and a little trot; hip will tell). No more breaking horses and CT or jumping but hey I can still ride and do what I love, just with extreme caution.

Zu Zu
Jan. 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
I am sorry about your news:no: ~ take some time to grieve this news and then pick yourself back up and make a plan - no need to sell your horses maybe you can lease them or allow somone to borrow them - you can work this out !:yes: and feel better :yes:!and ride YOUR horses again:yes: !!! You are shocked and saddened and angry and everything ~ I was too when I got my news BUT you can get through this in good form - just stop ! slow down and make a plan.. please ~~ cry and then make a plan -- I have been where you are - same socket problem THR I am riding no pain.:cool:

Cfourhorses
Jan. 29, 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks. I will.
The best plan will be to get in the best physical shape I can, reduce expenses & obligations and pay off as much debt as I can. I am self-employed and will not have income when I am not able to work.

Zu Zu
Jan. 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
I rec WW Weight:yes: Watchers - I'm down 49.4 in 17 weeks - find a friend to keep your horses ~ just turn them out for a rest vacation - you have alot of time to prepare ~ I know you can do this :yes:but I also know how much the entire situation hurts :sadsmile:physically and emotionally * BUT I know it is workable I made it through I know you can TOO!!!:winkgrin::):DREALLY !!!! Let yourself be sad then get going !

Cfourhorses
Jan. 29, 2010, 01:59 PM
Sounds good. The Dr. will see me in 1 yr. I go for a 2nd opinion next month, (this one does not do resurfacing). Cut my expenses, pay off debt and get in the best shape I can:)

walkers
Jan. 29, 2010, 11:35 PM
Tramadol can cause seizures and you need to be very careful when taking any other medications with tramadol.Tramadol reduces your seizure threshold. Long term use can also cause neuropathy, this is not a uncommon side effect. Docs love giving tramadol over narcotics for pain because it has been marketed as non-addicting pain medication. Tramadol is addicting and you will go through serious withdrawal trying to stop tramadol. Withdrawal symptoms correlate to dosage and length of usage.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:31 AM
Wow! I do not like the Tramadol, upsets my stomach. Ibuprofen works better anyway for me. My husband got neuropathy last summer of both hands and his right leg, knee down from a side effect from his chemo drugs. His right hand is withering, he can no longer write or drive. He lives on the ground floor now. I am now the only driver in the house. The Dr.'s do not think he will ever get use of his hands or leg back. He is on methadone for the pain. We are falling apart here!!

Zu Zu
Jan. 30, 2010, 03:31 PM
Jingles for you and your family ~ hoping things turn around soon.

Bank of Dad
Jan. 30, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cfour: You are getting so much conflicting info. It is very hard to decide who to believe and what is correct. I work in the health care field and I think doc's push what they know and do, and discourage that with which they are not familiar with, or what the politics of their particular medical system will allow or not allow. I take it you are in NY state. Like other had said, maybe their are other COTHers that could help with your horses.

If I had not found my doc, I would have gone to Calif. to have the doc Joel Matta, who perfected my approach, do my hip. Thats what golfer Tom Watson did from Kansas.

You have so much on you plate right now with job and hubby, etc. Do what will get you up and running in the least amount of time, rather than being in misery for another year or two. You are the only one who can figure out what that is.

I am the only driver in the house too, a lot of responsibility and work. Try to see an orthopedist who does the minimally invasive anterior hip replacement like I had. You don't even need PT afterwords. If you PM me, I can try to get you names of doc's in your region. My should last 20 + years. I didn't even consider resurfacing, why go thru surgery twice

Toller Twins, so you had your operation. Let me know how you are doing. It is now two months for me. I got the ok to start feeding the horses again. My support system is very relieved.

I am swimming in the warm pool at the local club. Joining was cheaper than my copay for PT, if I decided to do it anyway. With swimming and basic stretch exercises, I am doing well.

RMJacobs
Jan. 30, 2010, 08:13 PM
Cfour, I sure hope the second opinion doc gives you some better options. I agree with the other poster who said doctors tend to push what they know. If you hear the same response from doctors of different background or philosophy, then I think you can begin to rely on what they are telling you. But I sure wouldn't sell the horses based on one doctor's prognosis.

Best of luck--I think of you often and send you good thoughts!

Rebecca

Cfourhorses
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:37 PM
Thank you so much!:)

tollertwins
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hey, Bank...just got home from the hospital on Weds. I, too, was suprised that things hurt...My PT sez 'DUH - its not that this doesnt hurt - the other ones hurt worse!'.

When I'm just resting it kinda hurts like a header I took off the pony and on to the hip last year. Went for a walk all the way around the local Gander Mtn...and was really in less pain than I would have been pre-surgery. Just had to come home and do a major crash afterwards.

Now having to do the prune juice and epsom salts thing (YUCK!)l

CFour- there are several people over on bonesmart who have contacted Joel Matta's office directly for referalls in their area. Hes one that does both resurf and THR via anterior and could point you to somebody....

You really want to talk to somebody who does a lot of both...those guys are going to be more open about what is good for YOU and not just what they are familiar with. And a lot of the really good guys are tightening restrictions on who they will resurf.

tollertwins
Jan. 30, 2010, 11:52 PM
PS...

RE: what bank of dad said re: getting up and running quickly...I would tend to agree.

Yeah - we might all need a revision when we're 80...but my PT person sez that for a primary cementless the current revisions arent horrible...and that there are major breakthrus every 7 years or so. So by the time we get there the whole playing field will be different anyway.

Cfourhorses
Jan. 31, 2010, 07:46 PM
I mounted my horse today and I am no better off than before my SI joint injections...not really in pain just cannot bend and conform around the horses barrel...anyone ever try to have a Barbie doll ride a Breyer horse? That's me...I simply do not bend anymore and do not understand why!!!!!! 3 yrs. ago I was riding everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::confused: Why, why why:confused:
I was really counting on the injection solving this problem!! At least the Dr. said it would!!!!!!!!!

tollertwins
Jan. 31, 2010, 10:09 PM
well $hit....

unfortunately - that probably points to the hips as being the major issue...

Cfourhorses
Feb. 1, 2010, 09:38 AM
I was so hoping the injections would enable me to straddle my horse, at least for a while...I do not know why my legs will not conform to and wrap around the horses barrel....they are so stiff and will not move the way I want them to when mounted, I just do not understand.....:confused: I am calling the Dr. today and telling him I still do not bend!!

Cfourhorses
Feb. 1, 2010, 10:28 AM
Just called the Dr.'s office & told them I cannot straddle & bend even w/ the injections..she said you will need to be seen again..I asked her what can the Dr. do before I come back in (more $$)....I said maybe he is not the right kind of Dr. to make me bend & ride again...she is going to call me back.

Cfourhorses
Feb. 1, 2010, 11:21 AM
well $hit....

unfortunately - that probably points to the hips as being the major issue...

Kind of like a nerve block, LOL:lol:

atr
Feb. 3, 2010, 05:06 PM
C4H, pm me your email address, and I'll send you my husband's little write-up of his experiences with hip replacement surgery. He's had both hips done. It made a huge difference to him very quickly. He was driving about 2 weeks after the last hip, and was skiing 16 weeks later, and he's no Superman...

Cfourhorses
Feb. 4, 2010, 11:04 PM
Scheduling resurfacing w/ Dr. Su the start of June in NYC...scared to DEATH!

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:40 AM
I dealt with it with lot:eek: of NSAIDS and extra strength Tylenol' later I found an Osteopathic MD who did aCcupuncture she helped me the VERY BEST:yes::cool:1

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:44 AM
ntered :winkgrin:riding:yes: and the right:cool: medical care

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:49 AM
.I do not know why my legs will not conform to and wrap around the horses barrel....they are so stiff and will not move

A good Centered Riding Instructor:lol: can help you find out why/ where the "block" or "dam:eek: in your body is, and how to deal with it gently:yes: and effectivelyt

Carol Ames
Feb. 5, 2010, 01:59 AM
A horseman in this area, col. Paul; Wimert,

dressage judge and avid foxhunter had both replaced and went back to foxhunting:eek:, though I 'm sure it must have been painful:no::o I can't imagine :no:

tollertwins
Feb. 5, 2010, 11:26 AM
C4 - Su's supposed to be one of the best in the resurf. field...you should be in really good hands.

Misocksgal
Feb. 5, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi C4,
I just came across this thread. I started with hip pain at age 40. I started walking for exercise, lost 80 lbs and felt great, until the hip pain got so bad, I couldn't walk anymore. Strangely, riding never bothered my hips much. I went from doc to doc trying to figure out why my hips were hurting. I didn't get a correct dx until I was 45! That doc told me to come back when I was 60 for a THR. I had a periacetabular osteotomy(PAO) when I was 46. The hip socket is relocated. I was on crutches for 13 weeks each hip. However, I felt great, for about one year. I could do anything that I wanted to. Then what little cartilage I had left, gave up on me. I had both hips replaced at 48. The THR's have not gone that well for me. I'm unable to ride. But I do hear lots of success stories about THR. I think that at 49, you're too old for a PAO. The recovery time would pose too many problems for you as well. I have heard great things about Dr Su. I think the most important thing is to find a good doc. They'll do what works best for them, which usually works best for the patient. Most orthopedic surgeons have a lot of pride (some have too much). They want favorable outcomes. There is a group with a lot of information on the Yahoo Groups. It's called hipwomen. I read about Dr. Su there. Hip deformities cause our bodies to be out of whack! Feet, knees and back all take a beating as our bodies try to accomodate incorrect conformation. Massage therapy might help ease the pain till surgery.
Wishing you the best of luck.

tollertwins
Feb. 5, 2010, 03:52 PM
Misocks....

I had a scope done at 52....basically did most of the work that they did in PAO except for the re-orientation. My remaining cartilage started to degrade in 3 mos...never got off crutches.

Had THR last week. Am starting to read that they are starting to think that any joint preservation surgery is not good for anybody over 40- couple of docs in the northeast are recommending a special mri that focuses on cartilage before they'll touch either scope or pao on any body over about 30.

How come you cant ride? Do you think it was because of the PAO?

Cfourhorses
Feb. 6, 2010, 11:33 AM
Waiting to hear about a date in early June for the resurfacing. I also will find out if Dr. Su will do just 1 or both of my hips. Right now do not know if I can get an anesthesiologist covered on my BlueX ins. Also I have asked a half dozen people if they would pick me up from the hospital when I am discharged and they all said no for 1 reason or another..most are too scared to come in and drive in NYC.I will take a bus from home to Port Authority and a cab to the hotel & hospital . If I cannot get a ride home from the hospital guess I will be unable to use Dr. Su. I have a sister in law that will put me up a night in Long Valley, NJ if I can get there from the hospital...but no one is willing to drive into the city to get me...:no: It is great to be loved:D

Cfourhorses
Feb. 6, 2010, 11:43 AM
A good Centered Riding Instructor:lol: can help you find out why/ where the "block" or "dam:eek: in your body is, and how to deal with it gently:yes: and effectivelyt[/QUOTE]

He he, going under the knife is the only thing that will help me (my degenerating hips are the block)...I hope the Dr. is gentle & effective:lol: !!!!

tollertwins
Feb. 6, 2010, 12:50 PM
See if the hospital has a patient transport service. Some do....You might be able to have them take you home or SIL's...

I think that if they do bilateral they usually send you to an acute rehab facility for 10 days or so.

Cfourhorses
Feb. 6, 2010, 03:26 PM
Wow, I could not imagine having to close my business down again for another hip...having to get in and out of NYC again...not to mention all the $$ this is going to cost & being laid up when I take care of my handicapped husband. I do not have much of a support system at all. I rather just get it all done at once and be done and move on! I will call the hospital Monday and see if there is a way I can at least get to my sister in laws in NJ. I have a better chance of having someone get me home from NJ.:yes:

flashwhitelock
Feb. 7, 2010, 11:48 AM
sorry, just stumbled on this thread. When you need?
I'm in CT but near NYC. I drive in and our all the time. IF you're nothern Jersey, I can probably help you.
call
cell

Cfourhorses
Feb. 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
Here is the hospital...my sister in law is in Long Valley NJ...but may meet me in Morristown, NJ..
http://www.hss.edu/physicians_su-edwin.asp

Misocksgal
Feb. 8, 2010, 05:15 PM
Tollertwins
My PAO was quite successful. My doc was Millis out of Children's - Boston. I would suspect that I'm probably part of his study regarding older women. He was honest with me - I knew THR was a risk going in. But I really didn't want to have a THR. I felt great and was back to riding. First PAO 5/06. Rode 9/06. Second PAO 10/06. Rode and skied 3/07.
C4
Resurfacing takes longer to recuperate than THR. I've heard that you can't put much weight on a resurfaced hip to start, but with minimally invasive THR, it doesn't take much time at all to be weight bearing. So I don't think they would do both resurfacings the same day. Even with same day THR, you go to rehab hospital afterward - you would never make it to the bathroom alone with same day THR. But you're in good hands with Dr. Su. There are top THR docs in NYC as well. Maybe Dr Su does THR?

Misocksgal

sadlmakr
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have followed this thread for a while now and wish you the very best in your hip repair. I have made sidesaddles for many women in late middle age so they could keep on riding. I have done offside and rail sidesaddles for MS patients and those with hip and orthopedic problems.
Do not dismiss the sport for both English and Western riders. Yes there is a problem finding just the right sidesaddle that fits both the horse and the rider. But when you find that perfect fitting sidesaddle and can ride "to fences" or just out hacking, it gives a new lease on life.
I have seen women doing gymkana in sidesaddles as well as one woman out in California who put on a cutting horse demo in her sidesaddle. Our grandmothers were wise women. They rode aside when their hips and low back problems did not let them ride astride.
It is an option if you can not ride any other way.
JMHO sadlmakr

Bank of Dad
Feb. 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
C4, sorry I'm too far to pick yu up. Driving in NYC wouldn't bother me... check out the patient transit system with the hospital dept. of social work. Could be a common problem.

Tollertwins, how are you doing now? We are socked in with feet of snow. I wear my ice cleats and can get out to feed the guys. I feel a little sore from the bending, i may be overdoing it, but its really rough here now.

Mara
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:38 PM
I've kept an eye on this thread. I got my artificial hip at 32, due to avascular necrosis from a running injury.

Hip's been great for 9 years. Never a problem. I dislocated it 8 days ago, though, just when I was ready to become a re-rider and was looking at lesson programs. Not now. It slipped back in place on its own, but follow-up x-rays show that I have gotten a good start on trashing the acetabular component. So, no riding.:( Instead, a major overhaul of my current (admittedly rigorous) workout program. The "R-word" (revision) was already mentioned, but I refuse to do this until I have at least some degree of pain! Currently trying to find a doctor, as the one who did the original does not do hips anymore.

I expected to get a few more years from it, but I have been pretty hard on it. . .

tollertwins
Feb. 9, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hi Bank....I'm a hair over 2 weeks out. Just started formal PT yesterday - I specifically asked for PT because I've been on crutches for 10 months and need it to recoup from that. Start pool therapy in 2 more weeks.

Still kinda sore and taking Vicodin...most of the soreness in the outside of the glute area. Not anything like what I had post scope tho...Hoping to be back in the saddle at 3 months, but not bringing that up till my next post-op.

Still on 2 crutches but starting to be able to walk some alternating crutches (haven't been able to do that since Oct). Might be a little in the slow lane because of the previous issue.

Yeah - you're probably overdoing.....but with the weather up there I'm not sure you can do much else. Can you get some Celebrex so that you don't get it all inflamed and angry? Everybody is telling me that the internal swelling takes some time to really get settled down.

PS - guy over on bonesmart just posted a vid of him telemark skiing at 2.5 months out!!!!

flashwhitelock
Feb. 12, 2010, 11:03 PM
cfour- I accidentally erased your number. Call me, I can probably do it if no one else can. U R about 2 hours from me.

Cfourhorses
Feb. 16, 2010, 08:56 PM
I want no part of this! I want to wake up and ride like the wind! I had my hips injected today. Yesterday I saw the local orthopedist...he said resurfacing in risky and I should go to a total hip replacement on both hips as I am in "end stages" w/ SEVERE arthritis...how on Earth has this happened to me...I want out!:mad:

tollertwins
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:05 PM
I dont thing that a resurf is necessarily riskier than a THR....

BUT

There is DEFINITELY a window before which or past which you are NOT eligible for resurfacing. Seems like you have to have enough, but not too much, damage.....

If you go to the surface hippy website, they have some Dr's listed who will review emailed xrays if you have them - for free.

Some of the top name guys are on the list - including Koen De Smet in Belgium, who is one of the most experienced in the world.

Zu Zu
Feb. 16, 2010, 11:01 PM
Jingles continue for you during this "bad to good journey" ~ you will make it through this period with flying colors and sooner than you believe ~~ you will be enjoying flying manes and tails.

Cfourhorses
Feb. 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
Did you have a resurface or THR? 1 or 2 hips?
Cfourhorses

Zu Zu
Feb. 20, 2010, 11:20 AM
Remember I am the THR - 1-17-05 one hip - left hip. You can do this and will will be fine ~ re-read this thread to find more of my details ~ or if you have specific questions please pm - I go for my five year check on 2-23-10 next Tuesday and will be more than willing to ask any questions you want answers for. Hope this helps - Jingles & AO Always Optimistic !I am posting Tuesday after my apt to Mara's thread ~ concerning her questions about "revision". Will be happy to post to your thread with any information you need.

Zu Zu
Feb. 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
Back from apt ~ 5 yr check up of my THR Left side - no wear or tear on my replacement:cool: & no limitations :cool:- should last 20/30 more years:cool: ~ if revision is ever necessary ( although he states most likely not) it can be done easily ~ recovery from revision is longer than first THR ~My next check up apt. in four years. They monitor wear and tear in order to adjust your activities if necessary and when wear & tear starts showing on xrays or in ones mobility. Hope this helps . Pm me if I did not answer any questions you may have. ( Oh ! He did say riding :Dand jogging ponies :Dhitched to various styles of jog carts and carrying H2O buckets all barn chores still fine:cool::D - high impact acitvities should be avoided like Jumping up and down on cement ~ or cement court basketball.- so I will miss my Sunday pick-up game of ball:confused: ! NOT !:lol::lol::lol:

Mara
Feb. 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have my appointment tomorrow and am a little bit anxious! I wish I had "your" hip but I don't think the technology was there when I had my THR. There was about a 20-year period during which there just weren't many advancements in THR; now, the improvements are coming faster and getting better all the time.
That does sound a lot less scary than what I had read previously about revisions. Thanks. . .I'll update tomorrow after I get back!

Zu Zu
Feb. 23, 2010, 07:42 PM
I have my appointment tomorrow and am a little bit anxious! I wish I had "your" hip but I don't think the technology was there when I had my THR. There was about a 20-year period during which there just weren't many advancements in THR; now, the improvements are coming faster and getting better all the time.
That does sound a lot less scary than what I had read previously about revisions. Thanks. . .I'll update tomorrow after I get back!
Good Luck tomorrow ~ keep us posted ~ Jingles for good news.

Cfourhorses
Feb. 26, 2010, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=tollertwins;4692329]I dont thing that a resurf is necessarily riskier than a THR....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/expert_advice/article6925165.ece

Cfourhorses
Feb. 26, 2010, 12:30 PM
I am scheduled for my 1st THR 6/22 locally. But Dr. Su in NYC will resurface me if I want, he said I am a "reasonable candidate". Scared of the resurface.....scared of the THR too.....must decide. Have no $$ to stay in NYC, have no one to stay w/ me in NYC....really do not want to be tied to having to go back to NYC for check ups etc.....would like my own hips thank you!! Dr. Su did not say I am an excellent candidate or a good one...just reasonable.....:no:

tollertwins
Feb. 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
C4, I think that article mostly points out that you really have to be a good candidate.

Factors that they are finding are really contra-indications are mostly small bone size. This is even in men. The smaller your bone size, the more wear and more metal ions. Also if you have hip dysplasia and would have to have the cup steeply angled.

Dr. Su is one of the ones who has said that he's tightened up his requirements for picking candidates.

Bank of Dad
Mar. 1, 2010, 10:36 PM
Perhaps you should make your decision by finding out which Dr. has had the most experience with your particular situation.

Misocksgal
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:40 PM
Based on what I've read and heard, if you're not an optimal resurf candidate, I would go with the THR. I was not an optimal PAO candidate and chose that route out of fear of THR. I ended up with a THR a couple of years later. I've had trouble with my THR, but there are many who have had great success. First find the best doctor - the one with the most experience usually. Ask how many they've performed. You probably want to avoid ceramic and metal on metal hip joints. You might want to try a couple of local THR surgeons? I had hip injections in Feb '08 to get me through a ski vacation. They worked pretty well. I was in some pain April '08 when I had the first done.

It stinks, but there are much worse medical conditions...

Misocksgal

Zu Zu
May. 11, 2010, 04:11 PM
Bumping this thread up for an update ~ Jingles.

Cfourhorses
Jul. 18, 2010, 01:26 PM
Well everyone, it has been quite some time since I posted and now I am almost four weeks out from my bilateral THR's! I found a surgeon who would do both hips at once, just 45 miles away. My right hip is coming along great. The left, the one he lengthened, is sorer and much weaker. My hips had no cartlidge left and had begun to fuse. The surgeon said I should be able to ride 6 mos. post op. I use a walker now. My feet feel as heavy as cinder blocks. I am bored out of my skull, I am not used to being a burden and a patient!

The suregon said the surey went GREAT! I lost very little blood and did not need any more...he said he thinks I will like my new hips.

I have 2 big ceramic balls w/poly on metal cups. He knew I still wanted to ride and gave me the big balls for a large range of motion. He said the hips should last 30-40 yrs.

C4horses

Gideon
Jul. 18, 2010, 08:18 PM
I'm so happy your surgery went well. I'm having a right hip replacement in September.
Please keep us updated on your progress.:D

Zu Zu
Jul. 18, 2010, 08:23 PM
Glad to read this update ~ have been wondering about you as I tht you were having surgery around June 6th ??? Be patient ~ you will be back in the saddle soon ~

Bank of Dad
Jul. 18, 2010, 10:15 PM
Cfour
What good news. YOU WILL IMPROVE. At four weeks I was still wondering the wisdom of having the surgery. By eight weeks and 12 weeks a hugh improvement. Now at 6 months I can't believe I even had surgery.

Two at once is a big deal. You can't just limp along on the good hip. Hang in there, you're doing well.

Cfourhorses
Jul. 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone! I am impaitent, LOL. I had the surgery 6/22. I cannot believe it has almost been a month! I switched surgeons after I found one 45 miles away that would do a bilateral on me, (both hips at one time). At the end before the surgery I could barely get around and was on Morphine for the pain. I used a cane inside the house and a walker outside and climbed stairs on all 4's. I declined rapidly....maybe because the hips were fusing....it definately was time for new hips!!
I ride w/the family down to the barn so I can at least watch them do chores. Sometimes I get the treat of my horse to be brought up to the vehicle window so I can touch a soft muzzle!!
C4

RMJacobs
Jul. 23, 2010, 04:30 PM
Major congrats on the successful surgery! I've been wondering what you ended up doing, and how it went. Can't wait to hear how you progress.

Rebecca

Donkey
Jul. 27, 2010, 01:29 AM
I had been following this thread and was wondering what you ended up doing, your update makes me :)

equine nut
Jun. 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
Also - if you are going to try injections, they can inject HA into the hip.

From what the radiologist who did mine said some people who aren't too far gone can get relief from the HA injections for quite some time.

Be prepared to hurt after the injections...your joint doesn't like getting all the fluid in it.

Also - it takes about 3 days for the cortisone to take effect, and about a week for the HA.

It DID make a difference for me, but I was so far gone it didn't last long.

Also - my insurance wouldn't pay for the HA - I had to pay for it myself (kind of like getting the good stuff in a hock....I think it was about $300).

And like the previous poster said - both docs I talked to re: scope said that they were suprised ALL THE TIME when they actually got in the joint. Apparently things have to be VERY advanced to show on x-ray.

Hi, Im in the same boat and cant find any relief. The doc seems to think Im not bad enough for a replacement, Ive had 3 cortisone shots and they dont work. What is HA injections? Im going back to the doc on July 3rd to get another cortisone shot before my 4 day horse camping at the ocean and I can only ride about 1 hr and then get off and walk. I dont want to hinder my friends from riding 4 plus hrs so I just dont ride as much anymore. It is so depressing! :(

Bank of Dad
Jun. 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
I was in your boat and just decided to do the minimally invasive surgery anyway.Shots no longer helped. It was either that or not ride much. Who wants that? Find a surgeon who does the anterior approach minimally invasive surgery and get a second opinion.

dm
Aug. 8, 2012, 01:40 AM
Regardless of the surgical approach you choose, find an experienced surgeon (or a couple of them) to consult with. You would be amazed at the differing opinions MD's have about doing joint replacements, especially on younger people. You need to find one with a more open mind that cares more about the quality of your life than what your x-ray looks like, I'm kind of assuming that your x-rays don't show severe arthritis and that is why the ortho doesn't think it's that bad.

X-rays don't tell the whole story though. When they get in there and actually see the joint, they often find out it was more arthritic than the x-ray showed. I've had both hips replaced--the first one was obviously horrible bone on bone on the x-ray. The second showed I still had a thin layer of cartilage, but when the surgeon did the replacement, he said that I had a lot of places that where the bone was exposed ... so I really didn't have anywhere near as much cartilage left as the x-ray showed.

Good luck

hosspuller
Aug. 9, 2012, 09:40 PM
To those considering hip surgery... Don't put it off. I got my life back after the birmingham resurfacing in 2008. It's a metal/metal joint. The major problem of metal/metal joints was improper installation. If the angle was wrong, the joint was edge loaded and shed metal particles. Thus it's very important to chose a qualified surgeon. When you're reseaching the different approaches and devices be aware of the date of the information. The state of the art is evolving quickly.