PDA

View Full Version : where do you put a name plate on a padded bridle?

superpony123
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:52 PM
Just bought a new bridle, and it's padded. I never considered until now when I put it together that, well, gee, where on earth can i put my name plate? :confused: I suppose i could put one of those little brass circular tags on but I dont like those, I think they're distracting and they always jingle!

pic:

http://img.smartpak.com/product/highres/17215.jpg

Are there any other options? (other than one of those little circle tags) :/ I am having a hard time thinking of anything. i figure i could just have the plate put on anyway and it would just always be covered by the strap, however i think it would probably not work because of the padding

SkipChange
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:59 PM
Since the noseband strap goes over the browband, you could put a nameplate on that strap. That way it would still be on top just like usual. I would measure how wide the strap is and look at measurements of nameplates first though, nameplate might be too wide.

Not sure how that would work, just an idea!

Tha Ridge
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
Depending on how the bridle fits, I've known people to put the plate on the cheekpiece. If the bridle fits well, the plate will be covered by the excess leather that stays in the keeper.

FineAlready
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:15 PM
Depending on how the bridle fits, I've known people to put the plate on the cheekpiece. If the bridle fits well, the plate will be covered by the excess leather that stays in the keeper.

Yep, this is what I was going to suggest. Kind of like what you would do on a martingale. I personally prefer to have the nameplate covered, since I sort of think they look tacky and distracting if they are visible. My view is that they are for identification of ownership only, so they don't need to be seen when actually on the horse.

SkipChange
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:16 PM

Oh i like that idea!

superpony123
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:01 PM
Since the noseband strap goes over the browband, you could put a nameplate on that strap. That way it would still be on top just like usual. I would measure how wide the strap is and look at measurements of nameplates first though, nameplate might be too wide.

Not sure how that would work, just an idea!

i already have a name plate (will be taking it off of my old bridle) and it will definitely not fit on the noseband strap. infact, i dont think any plate would. i guess it might look large in the pic, but it's your standard size width (maybe 1-2 cm) and no name plate would ever fit :(

superpony123
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:03 PM

thats so smart! i might try this, but i don't know if it will actually work. It's a cob size bridle (but the bridles run very large) for a 16h horse. bridle fits, but i dont know if i'll have enough excess to cover the plate

thanks!

Tha Ridge
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:19 PM
Well, IMO, the bridle doesn't fit if you're on the first or second hole... As long as you are using the mid- to upper-holes, you should have enough, if you push the plate up fairly close to the buckle.

neigh.neigh
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:46 PM
I have had nameplates on padded bridles before and they stay on, so you could just put it under neath the noseband strap just

BAC
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:07 PM
Mine is on the crown, exactly where it would be on an unpadded bridle. You just have to have a long enough rivet, or whatever those things are called, to penetrate the padded portion. Our local tack shop does it all the time, mine has been on for years with no problems.

Lucassb
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:22 PM
Mine is on the crown, exactly where it would be on an unpadded bridle. You just have to have a long enough rivet, or whatever those things are called, to penetrate the padded portion. Our local tack shop does it all the time, mine has been on for years with no problems.

I think the OP is talking about a design where the noseband strap goes OVER the crown piece - so it's not just the padded crown that is the issue. And the noseband strap is much narrower than a crown piece so a plate won't fit on it.

Personally if I had one of these bridles, I'd put the plate on the crown as usual (and allow it to be covered up by the noseband strap.)

BAC
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:41 PM
I think the OP is talking about a design where the noseband strap goes OVER the crown piece - so it's not just the padded crown that is the issue. And the noseband strap is much narrower than a crown piece so a plate won't fit on it.

Personally if I had one of these bridles, I'd put the plate on the crown as usual (and allow it to be covered up by the noseband strap.)

Thanks, obviously I didn't read very carefully. ;) But then I agree with you, still put it on the crown and let it be covered up by the noseband.

Nilla Wafer
Jan. 6, 2010, 12:54 AM
i think i might have this bridle! :)
i received it as a christmas present already customized. interestingly, there is no nameplate, my name is engraved/embossed/imprinted (um, what is the right word here??) in the letter, the same as the manufacturer of the bridle. kind of interesting, never seen that before. :)

luvs2ridewbs
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:47 AM
I sent my padded crown and nameplate to Bevel and they put it on for me. Very well done and right at the top of the bridle where it should be.