PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Rehab?

Chaila
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:57 PM
I have a 1993 Crosby Hunterdon that sat in a barn for 10 years. It got dried out and moldy. I cleaned it up with Belvoir cleaner and conditioner and now it's totally usable. I'll probably never show in it... But that's OK.

Any ideas for how to permanently destroy the mold? It keeps re-appearing on the underside and billets.

I also tried heating up the Belvoir oil to get it to sink in a little better, but it doesn't seem to be soaking in.

Any ideas for how to rehab an old neglected saddle?

Thanks in advance!

ifiwereyou
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:02 PM
For the mould Oakwood conditioner works really well!

It has teatree oil in it which kills off the mould pretty well, obviously not forever...

superpony123
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
in the summer, i use the leather therapy stuff because it has some kind of mold inhibitor that seems to work pretty well here, especially since where i am it gets very muggy and humid in the summer

dont use glycerin, it will probably 'lock in' the mold if that makes sense

clean super well with castile soap then use leather therapy

Lucassb
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
Ingrained mold is a PITA to get rid of.

I would use castile soap to get it really clean, then Leather Therapy, which is specifically designed to inhibit mold. http://www.leathertherapy.com/

BeastieSlave
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:45 PM
Pour a good bit of vinegar into your warm water the next time you clean the saddle (it won't matter what you clean with - the vinegar kills mold & mildew) and follow up with Leather Therapy conditioner just to be safe!

Chaila
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:32 PM
Leather Therapy! Thanks so much for the tip.

Chaila
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:21 PM
Just wanted to follow up and sat Thanks for the Leather Therapy tip. Saddle is just feeling much more supple and looking less blueish underneath the flaps.