PDA

View Full Version : Florida Trainer

Lilykoi
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:47 PM
I am trying to help a friend who is considering trainers in Florida.
One of them is Jay Matters (sp?).
Apologies to Jay, but I just don't know anything about him.
She is looking for big A trainers, but I'm afraid I can't give her any advice here.
She has a very nice amateur horse. Anybody help me out?

NYCGIRL
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:12 PM
Jay matter would not be my first choice. First of all, what does you friend want to do a/o hunters or jumpers? Also, is this friend looking for someone based in fl or just looking for someone to train with at WEF? I am assuming by Jay Matter being a pick your friend does the hunters. My first choice for someone who is based in Wellington would be Geoff Teal or James Lala but can think of plenty more if you give me more specifics.

Lilykoi
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:20 PM
She will do hunters. Not sure why she picked him as a possibility. Red flag? Stay away? I will mention the others to her and see if they are on her list too.
She just wants someone to train with at WEF.

CBoylen
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:22 PM
Jay Matter does a nice job. He's helped me on the ground before, and he's very clear, and good with preparation in the schooling area. His amateurs have had a lot of success. Without knowing more about your friend and what she's looking for though, it would be hard to say who would be a good fit.

OnTheRun
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:35 PM
Jay does do a good job preparing a horse for the ring. As CBoylen commented, he is very clear with his instruction and has had a lot of success....Dee is a prime example.
Good luck. :)

NYCGIRL
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:40 PM
The biggest names at WEF in the hunters who I would keep my horses with would be Scott Steward, Louise serio, Geoff Teal, Peter Pletcher, John French others too this is just a list of the top of my head. If you want more info PM me.

Tha Ridge
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:45 PM
The biggest names at WEF in the hunters who I would keep my horses with would be Scott Steward, Louise serio, Geoff Teal, Peter Pletcher, John French others too this is just a list of the top of my head. If you want more info PM me.

John French doesn't even go to WEF - he is in California. Not to mention that none of the trainers you mentioned are permanently based in Florida, which is what it sounds like the OP was looking for.

mroades
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:10 PM
And its Scott Stewart...not Steward...sorry, couldn't let that slide.

NYCGIRL
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:22 PM
John French doesn't even go to WEF - he is in California. Not to mention that none of the trainers you mentioned are permanently based in Florida, which is what it sounds like the OP was looking for.

I asked that question and op said that "She just wants someone to train with at WEF". That is probably right about John French even though for some reason I thought I have seen him ride at WEF sometimes shows blend together so I could be wrong. I apologize for my faulty memory and spelling.

Lilykoi
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks everyone! I am going down this week to meet her and hopefully all your info will help!

By George!
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:00 PM
Geoff Teall is based in Wellington. He is on the road in the summer, however.