PDA

View Full Version : Ovation bridles?

SquishTheBunny
Jan. 3, 2010, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know how decenet the Ovation bridles are? I am looking at the wide noseband ovation bridle. Im assuming with the price, they are not anywhere near the quality of an edgewood or hadfields, but if it was kept just as a show bridle, would it hold up? I would only be doing about 20 shows/year.

Ive been looking forever for a "dark brown" bridle, with no red - and from the pictures the ovation looks to fit the bill. I have a beval newport that I love the colour of, but its just too big for my horse :(

Also, how do they fit? The edgewood I have is just a little big on my horse (full size), as is the beval. I have an older hadfields that fits great, (full size) but is not suitable for showring anymore.

OR....does anyone know where I could find a cob sized wide noseband for an edgewood bridle???

10000 Bits
Jan. 3, 2010, 05:44 PM
I have an Ovation bridle that is raised and padded with fancy stitching. I love it. It is about a year old and is used as a schooling bridle but it looks just like an Edgewood for less than half the price. It broke in easily and oiled well. I have no complaints and I would have no problem showing in it.

The color does have some red in it, it oiled up exactly like an Edgewood. So it is a reddish brown, not a flat brown.

MsRidiculous
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:37 PM
I have an ovation as a schooling bridle and an edgewood for showing. I really like the Ovation.. it's well made, good quality, and looks very similar to the Edgewood. Side by side you can tell the difference but it's certainly not a huge one. The color does oil up to be almost identical. For the money I have yet to find anything as nice as the Ovation, it's certainly passable as show quality.

Oh, and the sizing of my two are almost identical... both a bit large.

sptraining
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:38 PM
I just got one and haven't oiled it yet. It's very pretty and I think once it's oiled and broken in, it'll look lovely.

Here's a pic of the wide noseband. I was a little shocked at how wide and raised it was, but I think once it's oiled it'll lay a little better. http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab300/sliane56/?action=view&current=IMG_0079.jpg

PS. I ordered mine through JustBridles.com. They have brilliant customer service. I highly recommend trying them.

wsmoak
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:43 PM
I just got their flat hunt bridle and it's really good quality for the price. It's reinforced where the throatlatch splits off, which I thought was a nice touch.

However... watch out on their laced reins! The lacing on mine starts a full 18" from the buckle, which means that even up in two point with short reins, I'm still on the flat leather part.

I'll second the JustBridles.com recommendation. :)

Sibericious
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:00 PM
My friend has one and it is quite nice. When it came it was a hidious orange, but has darkened nicely with LOTS of oiling.

superpony123
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:04 PM
there is a website that sells bridle parts from all different companies, including edgewood. someone can chime in with the link! i think its just bridles.. but maybe i am wrong

anywho, there is a girl who has an ovation bridle at my barn and i don't like it. granted, i am not sure how old it is or if its had the best of care (it came with the pony she just bought basically) but the leather is kinda.. bleh. i mean, it's not bad, and from far away you probably couldn't tell, but it's in rough condition. it is also a bit orangey.

that's my only experience with one. it is probably more likely that it was not treated well in the past, or it's super old, because i usually hear very good reviews on them.

that being said, I have a beval newport and a smartpak harwich. the harwich was only 100$ and i think i like it a lot more than my newport! (which was what, 400?)

Lucassb
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:34 PM
I don't care for the Ovation strap goods, myself. Especially for a show bridle...

I have posted a bunch of times about how much I really like my Aramas wide noseband bridle, and if you want one with ZERO red in the leather - I'd recommend it without hesitation. My horse is black so I am very particular about that issue myself, and the Aramas looks terrific on him.

I bought it on a whim, really, because I was intrigued by the wider noseband and wanted to see how he looked in it without spending a fortune. Once I'd oiled it up and used it a few times - I left the rest of my more expensive bridles at home and just showed in this one. I prefer it, even to my Jimmy's, Hadfields, Edgewoods etc.

Here is a close up for you - I know the sun makes it look a tiny bit red, but I promise you, it is absolutely dark brown. This was just the only pic I had where you can really see the wide noseband detail.

sweetpea
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:17 PM
That is ovation and Aramas -- I know no one wants to hear it , but they the sales guy told them --- so go figure-- My OP is try to buy already cold brown for no red in the leather.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:47 PM
Too bad I have absolutely no need for another bridle or I would pick one up. Those look nice. I am often surprised by Ovation's product quality in relation to the price point.

Ovation bridles are made of Wickett and Craig leather, which is the same company that Edgewood bridles are made from.

eqrider1234
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:42 PM
well i was told by my tack store guy that edgewood and aramas are made by the same people/company.

with that being said i have an edgewood bridle that i love, my only complaint is that sometimes the keepers can be annoying but otherwise the leather is really really nice and then actually yesterday i bought a rodrigo pessoa bridle and ovation reins and an ovation breastplate so i will see how all of it oils up but i am thinking it will all match.. hopefully haha.

Peggy
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:03 PM
I contacted JustBridles b/c I needed crown, cheeks and and figure-8 for schooling. Hasn't arrived yet (only ordered two days ago) but the woman who emailed me back said that the Ovation was excellent quality for the price.

LARGEBORE
Jan. 3, 2010, 11:20 PM
The Ovation's come in two colors.
The lighter chestnut color does oil up a bit red like an Aramas Americana , the brown oils up deep brown. Just a matter of taste I guess, The great thing is that they are a welcome value...

Pinque2
Jan. 3, 2010, 11:51 PM
Two years ago I purchased the Ovation with padding and fancy stitching to use on a horse I was temporarily riding. It is a close replica of the Edgewood in styling and color, which means even after extensive oiling it still had a lot of red. The cob size did not fit the horse, but it was same problem I had with my old mare (both were Paints) in that they essentially needed horse-sized nosebands and throatlatches but cob everything else. It's a good thing justbridles.com is now around for folks with similar issues.

I have SmartPak's Harwich in the fancy stitched version, and IMO it is a better value and a nicer bridle than the Ovation. It still has a decent amount of red after oiling, and I bought it to use on a lease horse before I found my new horse, who is black. I may have to check out the Aramas referenced by Lucassb, as reddish tack defintely does not flatter my guy.

mvp
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:21 AM
Initially, Ovation seems to have not had its sh!t together and produced some well-made bridles from the wrong leather. This stuff looks quite orange and has really red finish on the edges. The red will stay that way.

The better ones have slightly darker but still reddish leather (unoiled) but black edging. The look like Aramas bridles... which look somewhat like Pessoa strap goods.... which look like old Dover Circuit bridles. Not sure where Smartpak's line fits into all this, but I think their leather is a bit thicker and more coarsely-grained.

PROTACKGUY can probably straighten all this out for you, but a company named Harmon Kraft made lots of these. There is an HK incorporated into the edging design by the throat latch on the near side, I believe.

Sedgewick's leather is not all the same, though the company does an excellent job with tanning. Yes, they supply Aramas, Ovation and perhaps Edgewood with their stock, though I'm sure the stuff chosen for each varies slightly.

IMO, you must see any bridle in the flesh to make a decision about the quality of it's leather for the price and to be able to predict how it will look oiled. I think most bridles can be made as dark and anti-red as you'd like. The exception is the leather work with an opaque finish.

If you want to put some money into researching the right bridle, you might get someone like Just Bridles to ship parts from several different makers together in one package.

Lucassb
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:52 AM
For comparison's sake, I took a couple bridles down and photographed them together so you could see the relative difference. They are ALL darker than they appear in the photo - maybe it's my cheap camera, lol - but you can see which ones are truly dark/brown and which are lighter/redder. (The only one that is truly light is the Hermes, as I've never had the will to really oil it up. I only included it because I think the stitching pattern is kind of cool :D )

They are labeled in the photo but I know it's a little hard to make out. From top to bottom they are:
Hermes
New Cavalry
Jimmy's
Antares
Aramas
Edgewood

Hope it helps.

SquishTheBunny
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys! The Aramas is quite similar to the edgewood - can you order JUST the wide noseband from aramas? I have too many bridles to really justify buying another, but would love to try a wide nose band!