PDA

View Full Version : Best places to sell high end used saddle?

magmir
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:32 PM
I know that this topic has been done before, but I was hoping for some more feedback re: high end used saddle sales. I went to trade in my very nice, extremely well cared for saddle at my local tack store to avoid the consignment route, and was quoted a very very low number. I did an internet search to see how they were being priced on various websites (fine used saddles, cori mcgraw, the used CWD seller, ect) and they are being advertised for much more there. I also know that ebay has not been the best way to sell saddles, and the owner of my tack store did tell me that 2009 was the worst year for new saddle sales in 25 years. Does anyone have any fresh ideas about ways/places to sell?

oldpony66
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:37 PM
how much different was the price you were quoted, and the price you see other saddles offered for? If you don't sell the saddle yourself, you have to expect there to be a difference. That's how the tack stores stay in business of course.
If you are anywhere near Rick's Saddle Shop (NJ/PA) I have always had good experiences there. In fact, last year I traded in my daughter's saddle and they gave me more for my trade-in than I paid for it. Perhaps I had just gotten a really good deal on it initially, but I found them to be quite fair.

Lucassb
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:45 PM
You will get the most money through a private sale, but the tradeoff is that you have to advertise it, and if not selling locally, come up with a way to handle the transaction to protect both yourself & the buyer. That means deciding if you will allow trials, etc.

I have sold quite a few high end saddles through Ebay (Hermes, Devoucoux, etc) at reasonable prices; you can search the completed listings to find out what models like the one you have sold for in the recent past to learn what the going rate is. I find that for well known/popular brands, as long as you post enough pics for people to feel confident about the condition, and show the serial number and spec (flap size, seat etc) people are happy to buy online.

You can also try ads on the forums here (small $$) or for free on boards like the Outside Course or Bits and Barter. Most sellers on those sites use paypal to handle the $$$, which is convenient and provides some protection for both parties.

Trading an old saddle in to a tack shop or vendor for a new one is the easiest, of course, but you will not get full value. It's just like trading in your used car at a dealership. The store or vendor will probably discount it at least 25% to allow them to make sure they profit on it at resale. Consignment places will also take at least that much normally - but have the advantage of a wider audience for your saddle than you probably would as a private seller.

Remember that brand names make a huge difference when selling used tack. A very well cared for saddle from a currently unpopular brand can be very hard to sell for "what it's worth," if you calculate that worth based on what you originally paid and its current great condition. Sad, but true.

I'm in the same boat right now, having just bought a new (wide) Butet for my monster WB. I just dropped off my old one at a friend's house yesterday for her to try; if it doesn't suit her, I will sell it privately since it is in exceptional condition and it's a popular size/configuration, so in some demand.