PDA

View Full Version : Glossy Saddle!

Catomine
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:02 PM
I own an older (probably mid-nineties) Irish-made foxhunting saddle that's in great condition. While I clean it weekly and wipe it down after each ride, I still cannot seem to get it to shine the way I'd like! It's a dark brown saddle with decently soft leather on the seat and softer leather on the flaps. I have been using Lexol and Horseman's leather cleaner, but I just ordered Effax leather cleaner as I have heard that it is great for European leather. However, what else can I do to make my saddle REALLY glisten for the show ring? I'm not really in the position to get a super-high end saddle right now, if I don't have to.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 3, 2010, 05:50 PM
Leather therapy restorer & conditioner makes everything GLEAM

Creaghgal
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:56 PM
My 40+ year old Berney never made it to shiny. The leather is butter soft after all my efforts but shiny? No. Just not in it's make up. Even Leather New couldn't help.

The newer Berney's have a nice gleam & aren't costly.

Catomine
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:20 PM
My 40+ year old Berney never made it to shiny. The leather is butter soft after all my efforts but shiny? No. Just not in it's make up. Even Leather New couldn't help.

The newer Berney's have a nice gleam & aren't costly.

Yea, mine's a Berney. It's dark brown so I feel like it could have some gloss to it.. I want to try. Is Leather New good otherwise?

Catomine
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:23 PM
I was even thinking of doing a very light coat of CLEAR shoe polish, except Im afraid of it being slippery or not absorbed into the leather and getting all over my breeches.

Linny
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:23 PM
I have an old soft Natural that I LOVE but it will never shine. I bought a newer one that shines too much. I can barely get it "mushy" enough for my old arse and will probably sell it and keep using the old one. I love mushy, sticky old saddles with no shine!