PDA

View Full Version : HELP-need helmet suggestions for tall narrow head

IFG
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:19 AM
I am an eventer transitioning to fox hunting (I know-wrong forum-but you get more traffic here). I need a new helmet for hunting. It can be velvet, velveteen, or the suede stuff on lots of helmets, but I would prefer not plastic.

So in eventing, I fit in the CO Skull II and the Tipperary Sportage (original). I am having a really hard time finding an affordable approved helmet for hunting. Noe of them seem deep enough like the skull or the Tipperary. The JR 8 is too shallow, the Troxels perch, I bought an IRH Olympian, but it doesn't feel great. At Dover, they said that the CO Wellington would fit, but I really don't want to spend that type of $$ for a helmet that might get nailed by tree branches, etc.

Any ideas?

rwh
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:37 AM
Well, probrably not helpful as you said you don't want to spend so much, but the Wellington really sits MUCH deeper than other COs. I tried the GR8 and it sat wayy up on my forehead (near my hairline!) but the Wellington Professional (and I would assume the Classic) actually sits correctly. You could try searching for a sale online. Best of Luck!

headsupheelsdown
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:42 AM
I had a student that did well with a "long oval" helmet shape. I forget what brands offered this helmet shape, I think it was just gotten out of Dover or State Line. Hmmmmmm... maybe SmartPak.

It wasn't an expensive brand at all, I don't think. It was velvet. It fit her head really, really well. Since you indicate that your head is also tall... I would stay away from "low profile" styles, maybe.

Look at the Olympian and the IRH helmets here:

http://www.horse-vetsupplies-andmore.com/ridinghelmet.html

Duckz
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds like you have the same helmet fitting issues that I do. Here is an under-$100 helmet that should work.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36221&ids=67047412

IFG
Jan. 3, 2010, 11:44 AM
I have the IRH Olympian which is very much like the one that you linked to, and it doesn't feel right. Too shallow. I think that I am going to have to return it and save my $$ for a Wellington unless anyone has other suggestions.

For now, the hunt has been tolerant and lets me ride in my event helmets with a cover. I would love to get a real hunt hat though.

bays not grays
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:14 PM
I also have a long oval head and it's hard for me to find a helmet that doesn't look like it's perched up on top of my head. GR8s look fine on me, as does the IRH knock-off the XR9. However, out of all of the helmets I've tried on, this one fits my head the best: http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-pro-rider-riding-helmet/p/X1-3622/cn/1964/. Personally, I don't like the harness so I went for the GR8 but it might be worth a try for you.

Also, I bought this helmet (http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-windsor-show-helmet/p/X1-3627/cn/1964/) on a whim (got it for next to nothing in the Smartpak clearance) and while it is beautiful in the box, it looks HORRIBLE on me. It sits wayyyy too high on my head and gives me a bit of a conehead appearance, so I would avoid it if I were you.

Good luck!

headsupheelsdown
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:23 PM
Is there a large saddle shop near you where you can try on several? Could save you a lot of buying/trying/returning!

IFG
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:39 PM
Is there a large saddle shop near you where you can try on several? Could save you a lot of buying/trying/returning!

Believe it or not, Dover and Smartpak. Unfortunately, the stores do not stock everything in the catalogs, so I am still sort of shooting it the dark.

IFG
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:55 AM
Bumping this up for the Monday AM crowd in case there are any suggestions.

Thanks all for your suggestions so far. Now when I go back to Dover to return the IRH that I have, I have some other ideas of what I should have them send me.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:54 PM
Is the IRH you bought a long oval? They sell a long oval helmet in some of the styles. I have one on order from a local tack store, and it should be in for me to pick up tomorrow. I will let you know how it fits compared to my CO skull cap.

IFG
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:59 PM
Is the IRH you bought a long oval? They sell a long oval helmet in some of the styles. I have one on order from a local tack store, and it should be in for me to pick up tomorrow. I will let you know how it fits compared to my CO skull cap.

No, I don't think that it is a long oval, but the problem is not so much with the shape (the sale person fitting me told me that this style fits more oval heads), as with the depth. It feels as though the back of the helmet is popping up. I wore it at home for a bit, and it just doesn't feel secure on my head. Does not meet the old Pony Club shake your head upside down challenge.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:58 AM
No, I don't think that it is a long oval, but the problem is not so much with the shape (the sale person fitting me told me that this style fits more oval heads), as with the depth. It feels as though the back of the helmet is popping up. I wore it at home for a bit, and it just doesn't feel secure on my head. Does not meet the old Pony Club shake your head upside down challenge.

My new one is certainly not as deep as my CO skull. It doesn't come down to my eyebrows like the skull does. It works for me though. It's more comfy than the kid's version of the GR8, I think JR8 maybe? That one didn't feel stable at all.

spaceagejuliet
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:54 PM
A few years back I used to have an International in a long oval, not very expensive, but for a while it was the only thing out that fit me.

They have a few models, and i had better luck with the less expensive ones, as my head is apparently long and tall, and the more expensive ones seemed to be pricier due to their trimmer, slimmer fit and felt a bit shallow, etc as well!

shedllybip
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:42 PM
I would suggest the ATH by International. It tends to run taller than some other helmets.

IFG
Jan. 9, 2010, 05:34 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I spent an hour at Dover trying on every helmet that they had last night. Staff was uber helpful. Upshot is that the only ones that really fit were the CO Wellington Classic and Pro. In different sizes at that!

Dover did not have any of the IRH long ovals. It was late and snowy, so I did not head to Smartpak. Will do that at some point to try the long ovals. At least I have my Tipperary for now.

Thanks so much all for your suggestions.

TrakeGirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:17 AM
Did you see the advertising link at the top of the page to the Tack Box Inc? 20% off Charles Owen helmets the month of January. :)