PDA

View Full Version : Jumper pricing

gusbabe
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:04 PM
I am NOT attempting to sell or advertise here but would appreciate some pricing advice. I have a large pony ( perm card) who competed last season ( 08-09) in pony jumpers on the A circuit. First season for both rider and pony doing jumpers. Said pony carried a timid rider who had never shown jumpers ever, who had only competed once at the 3 foot level in hunters and never shown rated previously. They qualified for Devon ( while only competing from Sept to Mar) and also qualified for the NAL finals.
They did compete at both, pony did awesome, rider errors caused them to place 14, 13, 12 and 15th at those shows.
Pony is a phenomenal jumper ( prefers level 3 fences, will do level 2, lower is a joke) but MUST have a rider with a quiet seat and legs and gentle hands. Pony is turning 16 in 2010. She does not require maintenance at this point. She is not marish and is absolutely a doll to handle on the ground. She is best suited for a teenager or even adult as she is strong over a course. She is the best to trail ride! What can I realistically expect to get for her in this economy? With her age, should I advertise her as a broodmare? Although she would be sooo very unhappy not being ridden until the baby arrived and but then she would be in her glory!
Any thoughts? I appreciate it!

Timex
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hmmm, it seems that broodies are going for cheap to nothing these days, so I'm not sure I'd necessarily go that route.

findeight
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
Can you lease it?

Without kicking off the old debate about too old or not, few would want to buy one for a child that will be near or at retirement in 2 years when it is likely outgrown as well as uninsurable at 17ish.

Lease her as a low Childrens Jumper for a small child. Sadly, Pony Jumpers rarely fills in many regions and thus is rarely offered. That cuts down your buyer pool.

Broodie? Is she a maiden mare at 16? Not sure I'd want to do that with her, odds are not in your favor. Not impossible but harder on her then ideal and that's IF you get her to take and IF she can carry to term. Kinda hard to attract any buyers for a maiden 16 year old.

I'd go the lease route and control who and where very closely.

gusbabe
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:56 AM
In our area the pony jumpers fill. We frequently have 10 to 15 ponies in a class.

The mare was bred previously.

I am not thrilled with the idea of a lease. We board so then I get the pony back to figure out what to do with again, most likely when DD is in college.
We would compete her ourselves another couple of years but DD is not 5'8". While that height can be done in the jumpers, it is tough as you have to be perfectly balanced at every jump or you pull a rail.

findeight
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:27 AM
Contact trainers in your area since the Pony Jumpers do fill there and you may find enough of a market to get you a buyer.

If you don't want to lease because she will come back? And you say she is not a beginner ride? Gets strong?

Does she have papers? Is/are her previous foal(s) registered and competing? How long ago did she last foal?

gusbabe
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the advice.

The vet says she foaled. We have no papers, no knowledge of where foals are as she was a New Holland rescue.

A beginner could trail ride her. A child could flat her. But she does get strong over fences and tends to play over lower fences ( like jumps the height of the standards when it is a cross rail).