PDA

View Full Version : What do you use on your older saddles?

Talk of the Town
Jan. 2, 2010, 06:26 PM
My saddle is by no means ancient but it is a solid 10 years old at this point and has a little damage (barely at all but you can see where I rode in jeans for a while when I was younger and dumber haha) on the seat.

I looked at it today and felt awful, it needed cleaning and was slightly dry. I cleaned and Neates foot oiled it because that was the only condition I had at my house.

So my question is: What does everyone use on their older saddles for conditioning?

Rhody Ram
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:57 PM
Leather Therapy Restorer & Conditioner

superpony123
Jan. 2, 2010, 08:10 PM
my saddle is 10 yrs old, but i wouldn't really consider it "old" to be honest. it's in great condition. i clean it with castile and glycerine soap. sometimes leather therapy in the summer because our summers are super humid, so it's easy to get moldy (the leather therapy has some kind of mold inhibitor)

we have much older saddles in the barn that i clean several times a week with plain glycerine soap. they look good. i condition them maybe once a month, or whenever they start to look a tad drier than i'd like. but the glycerine is good at locking in moisture

Lucassb
Jan. 2, 2010, 09:09 PM
Murphy's oil soap, on an almost-dry sponge, will do wonders for tack that needs a bit of TLC.

I have quite a few bridles that are more than twice that old and they are still in perfect, show-worthy condition. It's rare that they get anything other than the murphy's unless they get caught out in a rain storm or something like that.

If the tack is really dirty, castile soap is very useful to get rid of the gunk, and if the leather is really dry, I find a bit of Horseman's One Step can help quite a bit. It's not a product I use on a regular basis, but once in a while when the leather seems to need a bit of moisture, I think it does a nice job.

indygirl2560
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:03 PM
Wow, I just realized that my saddle is almost 17 years old!(It doesn't look like it though). I use Belvior cleaner and conditioner. When I got my saddle last year, it needed a thorough cleaning and conditioning and the Belvior products did the trick. That's all I use now and my saddle looks great!

fourmares
Jan. 3, 2010, 01:45 AM
My saddle is almost 30 years old. I use castile when it needs a good cleaning, glycerine every day it is used, and olive oil when it looks a little dry.

Talk of the Town
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I usually use glycerine to clean it so at least I'm doing something right. It was looking particularlly dry when I brought it home.

What is your favorite conditioner?

Surly Sue
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:56 PM
Lucassb-I have always preferred Murphys, not the liquid - but the kind in the tub, and have found it to be the best overall for routine cleaning and conditioning leather. Affordable and smells good too!

Funny story, I can recall going into the local chi-chi A circuit hunter - jumper tack store to pick up some Murphys and being (somewhat politely) told they don't carry it... I should probably look in the local hardware store or such. However, if I wanted to drop 20 to 40 dollars on some fancy german or french concoction there was a wide variety to choose from!

Uhh, thanks but no. Now, I've tried the expensive imported stuff but it's not for me. I'll go to the local hardware store for my Murphy's and I'll pocket the leftover 15+ dollars for a rainy day! :winkgrin:

Little Indian
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:32 AM
Skidmore's hands down. It is the best.

billiebob
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:12 PM
I clean with castile and then condition with Effax Lederbalsam. I only clean it maybe once a month, more if it's looking scuzzy or if the humidity's insane. Saddle is kept in a bag with a nice fleecy lining and the next time I ride I try to wear breeches that are slightly slippery. They polish it the best! :lol:

Go Fish
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:27 PM
Liquid glycerin and pure neatsfoot oil. Being doing this for 50 years and I have tack that old, really.

People are constantly telling me how good my tack looks, and I don't clean it all that often, either.

Grataan
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
Oh but to have more Murphy's Oil Soap in the jar.

Pally
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:17 PM
Mine are old old, and I'm not the first owner. I like Passier Lederbalsalm a lot, really like the way the leather feels after. I also use glycerine soap.