PDA

View Full Version : working student question

EightBelles134
Jan. 2, 2010, 05:39 PM
I am graduating from high school in June and would like to get a working student position at an eventing farm either here in New Hampshire or in Vermont over the summer...my question is do you have to have your own horse in order to be a working student at most farms?would most eventing trainers prefer it if you own your own horse?also, what barns would people reccomend?one of my friends suggested Denny Emerson,but i figured you may have to own your own horse to apply for his working student positions

Scaramouch
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:52 PM
Many trainers have sales horses or lesson horses that working students can have lessons on, so not owning your own should not limit you too much. If you care a ton about how much riding you do, having a horse would be helpful, but I don't think that many trainers would turn you away for not having your own horse. Keep in mind that you do have to pay to be a WS for some trainers, and some will want more than a summer's commitment Good luck!

rideforthelaurels16
Jan. 3, 2010, 03:03 AM
A lot of it depends on your competitive goals. At most places, if you want to compete, you need to own/lease a horse. I know of a couple of places that will let you compete theirs, but it's uncommon.
Also, if you're looking to work at Denny's, you'll need a place to stay - I would love to work for him, but the lack of housing renders it impossible (for now)! You may be able to contact his current WS's and see what their arrangement is; if they all have an apartment there may be space for you to stay there if you pitch in for rent.
If you'd be willing to look in the Mid-Atlantic region, I'd be happy to make a recommendation! PM me if you're interested.

nextyear
Jan. 3, 2010, 04:44 AM
I am graduating from high school in June and would like to get a working student position at an eventing farm either here in New Hampshire or in Vermont over the summer...my question is do you have to have your own horse in order to be a working student at most farms?would most eventing trainers prefer it if you own your own horse?also, what barns would people reccomend?one of my friends suggested Denny Emerson,but i figured you may have to own your own horse to apply for his working student positions

Eightbelles, I am very confused, Didn't you just post on the racing forum that you have been riding for "almost 2 decades"??? Not that you cannot be older than 20 and graduate from HS but......
A big number of WS do not bring their own horse, look at the area 1 site for all the trainers in your area, if you are going to the events and spend any time in the warm up area you will know who you would like to be riding with and working for.

EightBelles134
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:55 AM
yes i have been riding for almost two decades but have i been eventing that long?goodness No..I just started riding at an eventing barn five years ago , before that i rode Western for awhile , Hunters/Equitaition for the first six years of my life, Dressage,etc. And i have been going to the events,but i haven't ridden at any,i've just groomed for my instructor at Groton House,Millbrook etc.

JanWeber
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:48 AM
If your instructor is an eventer, he or she is your best source of referrals for working student positions. Have you discussed your goals with your instructor?