PDA

View Full Version : PNW Folks, Horse Guard vs NW Horse Supplement

Amchara
Jan. 2, 2010, 05:18 PM
We have two supplements designed for our area, which one do you use?

I use HG, mostly because it was what was available when I started supplementing my horse. However, when I saw a bag of NW Horse I asked the owner which was was "better", and he said NW is good for a horse with poor feet, but HG is better (?).

Why do you use what you use?

Tee
Jan. 2, 2010, 06:16 PM
I used NW Horse Supp years ago and was not impressed. I go with the Equerry's vitamin now and have been thrilled with it for close to 10 years.

CamdenLab
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:28 AM
I've been happy with LMF Super Supplement G. It has everything and is reasonably priced. I throw in some rice bran and the barn adds whole oats, which she is fine with either way. She is a fairly easy keeper.

Amchara
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:38 AM
Hmm. I was meaning to ask about these two supplements formulated with NW soils in mind, not what everyone in the area feeds in general. Carry on.

horsepoor
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:08 PM
However, when I saw a bag of NW Horse I asked the owner which was was "better", and he said NW is good for a horse with poor feet, but HG is better (?).

On NW Horse -- they do two formulas and one has biotin added, so that might be why they said it was good for poor feet. It (biotin) makes it considerably more expensive. I use the regular NW Horse and don't have a particular reason -- it just is what is available and my horses like it. I might look at HG the next time I'm in the feed store just to compare -- I really haven't done that in the past. Sorry, not much help, I suppose!

Showbizz
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
I've used both - but didn't use the NWHS very long and it was quite a while ago. I use the HG. It seems more readily available. So unfortunately, my review won't tell you much, as I haven't compared the two studiously ;)

LovelyBay
Jan. 3, 2010, 01:02 PM
I used HG for years, and I had no problem with it, but then the prices started to go up so I switched to a locally produced version that had an almost identical feed tag. I thought it had biotin in it, you should look up the company's website and you can view all of their products' nutritional composition. I did like that they started to sell HG in bags to cut back the price from producing all those buckets. I always wanted to try Trifecta, but it seemed way too expensive for what it was.

I have recently moved to an area where HG isn't as common, and I started using NWHS. I'm neither impressed or unimpressed by it. I don't give much grain, just enough to cover up the vitamins. I usually gage my horse's overall health by how nice her coat looks in the Spring and if she has dapples. I am not sure if the dapple thing is accurate or any old wives' tale, but she had dapples in past years ( when on HG ) but didn't have as many last spring when still on generic brand. I guess I'll be able to do a comparison this spring....

LovelyBay
Jan. 3, 2010, 01:29 PM
So after some more research on the two websites... (I've researched this before but had forgotten what I'd learned)

http://www.horseguard.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=Horse+Guard+Details

http://www.nutritionalservicesinc.com/supplement.html

It's hard to compare some of the nutrients because they aren't in the same units (and it's too early in the day to do conversions :) )

-HG has biotin, NWHS doesn't (but you can get one with biotin in it)

-HG appears to have Iron, Calcium, and Phosphorous and NWHS doesn't

-HG has XP yeast in it ( no idea what that it )

-HG has Lysine and Methionine, which I believe are AA's important for tissue repairs..

Ok I'm sure there are more differences, but I"m not going to list them all.

To make the best decision you would need to know which elements your current feeding program in lacking and use which ever supplement has the missing elements.

I feed a high quality hay, so I'm mainly concerned about the lack of selenium, but if I wasn't sure about the quality of my hay I'd probably go for HG.

NWHS is much cheaper for me in Eastern WA. And my horse seems to clean it up better. HG is really bitter ( don't ask why I know that ), but I've never tried the NWHS.

You feed more volume of the NWHS, but it cost me about $.50 a day b/c I bought a 50 lb bag. I don't know the cost of HG in my area currently, but I'm sure it varies a little by area and what feed stores you have. I don't have many options, but back in the day it cost me about $.30 a day, but that was before the price jumped up....

Hmmm, ultimately, my vet recommended NWHS, so that and price was the main reason I'm feeding it.

CamdenLab
Jan. 3, 2010, 03:20 PM
Well . . . when I had my OTTB I tried HG because it was readily available. I felt it was kinda spendy compared to other vitamins which were more complete and had less fillers, but I was tired of ordering everything online. I gave it to him and he was cranky . . . took him off and he was fine. I assumed it was the fillers that bothered him and switched to a filler-free (just flax-based) supplement that he was much better on and cost the same, I just had to order it online. I returned HG to the store.

craz4crtrs
Jan. 3, 2010, 05:04 PM
Millenium Gold. Great stuff, good mineral balance, biotin.

My friend used Horse Guard, but my horses didn't care for it. I decided to try it again, bought the Mega Horse Guard for the highly touted selenium. My horses still didn't care for it, then 2 out of 3 horses started having laminitis issues. One was a Cushings horse, the other an old qh that never had laminitis. Turned out the plant had moisture issues and the supplement was moldy at the bottom. Impossible to see or smell, but I saw the spores on the sides of the bucket when I got closer to the bottom. 40# of supplement was $100. The feed store refunded my money. Horse Guard did contact me back after phone calls and emails. No help for the vet bills on these two horses, just we are sorry, we have pulled the product. Then my neighbor got a moldy bucket of regular Horse Guard, too.

I won't use anything but the Millenium Gold. Great feet, teeth, coat, etc.

I have used NW Supplement, expensive and I like the vit/min profile much better on the Millenium Gold. You can buy Millenium Gold at Land O Lakes and Purina dealers.

Calvincrowe
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
I haven't used Horse Guard--it is more expensive than a 50lb. bag of NWHS. I like that NW is pelleted--my guy does not care for powders of any sort. I buy excellent eastern OR hay, so I'm mainly interested in balancing anything missing, especially selenium, without giving too much.

I've used the Equerry's before and really liked it, but it is a powder...and a bit more expensive.

In some ways, you need to just make a choice--is "it" providing an ample supply of vitamins that are missing in your horse's diet? Not over-providing or under, is it palatable or wasted? Is it cost effective?

I've found most commercially produced vitamin products are strikingly similar in content. The difference is in amount present. Read labels, compare. Also, the manufacturing process can actually kill live bacteria or render some things less effective, I think(? not an expert, but I think that has been posted about on here before).

Lambie Boat
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:45 PM
horse guard. I always buy it on sale (Feb/Wilco). I also feed a little Equilux, at sale in McMinnville w.BuccananCellar.com- so my horses are very solid, healthy and dappled, even in their winter coats. Very strong feet too. I never had moldy horse guard but will be looking out for that now