PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Advice!

graytbmare
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
So, very ambitiously, my new years resolution is to finally get a saddle that fits my new-ish horse without correction pads (fingers crossed!). Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated, as a tack shop with any kind of non hunter stuff is a pretty far drive :(

The Problem Child: My just 7 15.3 tb mare. Petite build with the typical tb withers and narrowness through her shoulders and barrel.

Tried Solutions: Med 16.5 Harry Dabbs xc- tree and gullet too narrow, panels not quite thick enough, and flap too forward too high. Med 17 ancient Crosby cc- tree and gullet slightly too wide, panels not thick enough and flap no where near forward enough for xc. 32mc 17? Prestige - tree and gullet still not narrow enough, but closer, panels better and flap better but not perfect.

I fit in a 16.5 to a 17 and am long from hip to knee. I would love something for xc and would ideally get a dressage saddle later this year. Any luck people have had with specific saddles or brands? I would love to have some idea of ones to try before I go and test ride everything dover will let me get my hand on :)

I will try to post some pictures of her back if the weather warms up enough to take off her blanket!

Thanks!!

scubed
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have found that saddles with a cutback head work great on the TBs, for example Kieffers. I would also recommend the Albion Kontrol, which is very nice xc saddle and comes in a tree that fits TBs well. You'll probably end up having to try a bunch, but good luck.

sch1star
Jan. 2, 2010, 05:57 PM
I'd go with local reps and/or trials via mail if you don't have a tack shop nearby that has a lot of stuff you think is appropriate. Or even if you do - once you narrow down manufacturers, the reps can be very helpful.

Trumbull Mountain is a place people have a lot of success with via mail trials:

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/

Fit wise for you and the horse - it's one of those, if you ask 10 people...you'll get 15 different answers type of questions. I am also long hip to knee and have had some luck with County jump saddles. I also have an Amerigo I like. If you try some searches on this board you will find tons to read.

Good luck!

WishIWereRiding
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:25 PM
You could get a custom Black Country for no additional cost--it would run $2500-$3000 depending on the model you get. They will make a completely custom tree for you if you ask, customize the flap for your leg, etc,--whatever you want. I got mine through Trumbull Mtn.

oldhorsegirl
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:15 AM
Amerigo makes saddles that fit that build beautifully--test ride a Vega for example.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:22 AM
I LOVE my Hampson&Scott Jimmy Wofford xc saddle. It fit my old 17.2 hh TB like a charm-Although he was very tall, he was a classic lean, high withered guy. He loved this saddle too. This saddle is squishy and really comfy. I'm 5'11" and the 17" was a teeny bit too short for me, from hip to knee. This saddle does not fit my new TB who is a wide-almost mutton-withered 16.2.
http://www.equinenow.com/english_saddle-ad-1346

I also love my Crosby Bruce Davidson model which fits this horse like a charm. The seat is hard-not designed for long wanders but brilliant for jumping and gallops. I actually had to buy a second one with a wide tree to fit this new horse of mine. Got it 2nd hand for $400. Can't beat that:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crosby-Bruce-Davidson-Event-Saddle-17-5-Medium-Tree_W0QQitemZ110475910751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item19b8e09e5f

RunForIt
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:47 AM
do a search for all my saddle questions...we have twin horses or at least twin needs. BTW, after sending my Amerigo off to be tried twice, I turned down a sale after trying other models and brands...the Amerigo balance point and I finally bonded. :lol: (there are COTHers laughing their butts off as they read this...glad to cause merriment after last week! :eek: :cool: )

CookiePony
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:55 AM
BTW, after sending my Amerigo off to be tried twice, I turned down a sale after trying other models and brands...the Amerigo balance point and I finally bonded. :lol:

Really?? I am so confused. :uhoh:

To the OP-- what do you mean by the flap being too forward/high in the Harry Dabbs? Too forward for you? Was your knee peeking over the bottom edge of the flap? Trying to get a picture in my mind of your problem...

graytbmare
Jan. 3, 2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you guys all so much for your suggestions! Seeing as two feet of new snow and a blizzard advisory has kept me by catalogs and tack sites all day, my show savings that I have been stashing away for spring is looking very tempting!! April seem so very far away!

Scubed and Sch1star- loveee the suggestion and have been calling around to some local places to see what they have in stock. Cant beat those prices at Trumbull Mt though!

RiverBendpol- The saddles might still be too wide for my midget... would you mind taking a measurement?

RunForIt- Love the story about the Amerigo, Ive been through the same thing with both of mine, only to realize I wouldnt have anything to ride in after I shipped them both away :o Oops. But you have a narrow, impossible to fit child too? Good to know Im not alone with that problem.

Cookie Pony- I wasnt sure exactly how it was fitting wrong, but after throwing my trainers Prestige on her, we figured out that where the flap juts forward, it pushes into her shoulder. One reason my trainer's guesses was that the panels are flatter and the whole tree/gullet is too wide and rotating the saddle funny. Its a just a guess though...

Would love a custom, but sadly the budget if probably more of a 1250 and lower range at this point, though I know that might not be possible...

graytbmare
Jan. 3, 2010, 01:04 PM
And sadly the Harry Dabbs fits me pretty well, but maybe could be even more forward/long in the flap. Crosby is a no way, as my knee is in front of the flap when my stirrups are barely high enough for a 2ft fence :(

RunForIt
Jan. 3, 2010, 01:40 PM
Thank you guys all so much for your suggestions! Seeing as two feet of new snow and a blizzard advisory has kept me by catalogs and tack sites all day, my show savings that I have been stashing away for spring is looking very tempting!! April seem so very far away!

RiverBendpol- The saddles might still be too wide for my midget... would you mind taking a measurement?

RunForIt- Love the story about the Amerigo, Ive been through the same thing with both of mine, only to realize I wouldnt have anything to ride in after I shipped them both away :o Oops. But you have a narrow, impossible to fit child too? Good to know Im not alone with that problem.

Cookie Pony- I wasnt sure exactly how it was fitting wrong, but after throwing my trainers Prestige on her, we figured out that where the flap juts forward, it pushes into her shoulder. One reason my trainer's guesses was that the panels are flatter and the whole tree/gullet is too wide and rotating the saddle funny. Its a just a guess though...

Would love a custom, but sadly the budget if probably more of a 1250 and lower range at this point, though I know that might not be possible...

only difference: my guy is medium-wide backed, fairly wide shouldered little OTTB with the same lovely withers you're trying to accomodate! I tried the Prestige Eventer again on Rasta in a wider tree this time, but like you, I think its the panels that just don't fit him; same with the Albions I tried, only with them, the points were just not right - plus, I got used to the Amerigo's "feel" and missed it each time it went out for adoption, hence my nixing the sale. Am going to seriously look at the Amerigo monoflap Pinerolo event saddle once I'm riding again...you might want to check ebay and Middleburg Tack Exchange for good used saddles, as well as Trumbull Mountain. Good Luck!!! :cool:

Trakehner
Jan. 3, 2010, 03:58 PM
Try some Passiers. I use a Military II saddle and it fits an amazing number of horses, some with high withers.

Beam Me Up
Jan. 3, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've had good luck with the Berney Brothers Dublin Jumper.
It's also good if you are long legged/like a forward flap.
They run narrow and have sloping panels--I have a medium which fits the more narrow TB types (I bought it for a 15.3, 950 lb, shark withered guy) and a wide which fits the more average built TBs and my wbx.
They area also in your budget.