PDA

View Full Version : Enlightenment needed by great gurus!

oldenburger with fries and a cold beer
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:13 AM
Hi! Happy New Year!

What would all of you do in this situation?
I am presently riding a lovely gelding in the modified adults. We had a wonderful year in 2009 and my trainer believes that the two of us are ready to move up to the adult hunter classes. I agree but here is the kicker. My lovely mare is back in work and it appears will be show ready for the 2010 show season. I only want to ride her in the 2'6" divisions after her two year break from the sport. In order to ride one horse in the 2'6" modified divisions I am not allowed to cross over to the adult 3' divisions with a second horse at the same shows. So, would you stay at 2'6" with both horses or move to 3' with one horse and only have limited non modified 2'6' classes to enter into with the second?
Not a bad problem to have. I was just wondering what others might do? I also have learned that sometimes when an opportunity presents itself now is the time to act. Horses go lame, people go lame, Murphy's law kicks in, it rains on your birthday.
I was thinking of climbing to the great mountain top to the other great guru but instead thought I would post here!

Please make your answer fun and kind.

findeight
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:26 AM
How about you pick and choose? As opposed to taking both to each show?

I am a very firm believer in moving up when the opportunity presents itself-it's staring you in the face at the moment, grab it before it gets away.;)

You can alternate which one you take depending on where, who the judge is and that kind of thing. Or practice on the mare at the 2'6" in some of your lessons and let her ease back to the show ring gradually. I'd go with option 2 and just do some limited 2'6".

One thing about a move up year, you suck for a bit. Happens to everybody as they learn to handle more pace more then the height-more width in those oxers too. Likely not be in the running for anything major on the year end awards front so just use this year to build your skills at 3' altenating with a few shows for that mare stepping her up to 3' by the fall.

That's what I'd do, anyway. That mare doesn't care if she goes to as many shows as the gelding and won't feel left out at all if you concentrate on yourself and moving up-she will be there for you when she is ready.

Justice
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:32 AM
I vote for option number two, for the very reasons that you listed. Since you're ready for the 3', do it now before something goes wrong, or you spend too much time building the jumps higher in your mind. It will limit your showing with your mare, but it will also make the jumps in the classes you show her in look small, and you'll give her a confident comeback.

You will be surprised at how easy the 3' is for you after just one round. Once you've jumped the fences, they have a magical way of shrinking.

alteringwego
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:41 AM
I agree with the other posters to go ahead and step up with your gelding. If possible ship your mare to the shows and have the pro show her a bit or school her at 2'6". Then when she's ready show her for a weekend then your gelding. Mix it up and have fun!

superpony123
Jan. 2, 2010, 11:59 AM
if you have the funding, which i assume you do because you have mentioned it as an option, i would go ahead and take the gelding to do 3' and mare to do unrated 2'6'' divisions that allow crossing over, at the same show. if you're ready and want to step up to the 3', why let anything hold you back?

Jan. 2, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thankyou for all of the wonderful replies to my thread!!! I guess I am moving up with the big dogs...well bigger than what I have been doing. Not so big compared to what all of you have accomplished. I greatly appreciate your advice!!! I knew I needed a larger perspective on this. If you see a midcenturian on a really cute 16'3 gelding giggling nervously as she moves up for the chip...that would be me. Say hi..I always have beer, wine and yum yums in my cooler!!!!

FindEight you are correct I horseepormorphize(sp)? way too much. My mare will be just as happy turned out with her donkey and pony.

Thanks all!!! Have a great 2010!!!

Midge
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:55 PM
If you see a midcenturian on a really cute 16'3 gelding giggling nervously as she moves up for the chip...that would be me. Say hi..I always have beer, wine and yum yums in my cooler!!!

LOL, as opposed to the rest of us? Well, mine's 15.2 and I'll be saying $h!t instead of giggling, but the picture is pretty much the same.

Justice
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:04 PM
Here's a tip. Drink the beer BEFORE your first round to promote a nice relaxed round. Even if it's at 8 a.m. I like to think of it as Xanax without a prescription.

ET's Home
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:52 PM
Here's a tip. Drink the beer BEFORE your first round to promote a nice relaxed round. Even if it's at 8 a.m. I like to think of it as Xanax without a prescription.

I tried that, once. Ended up in the dirt in the middle of the Syracuse Colaseum. Very embarassing.

Better to use some mental imagery to focus the energy into good.

Duckz
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:19 AM

:yes::D

Wanderluster
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:55 AM
Uhem, Missy I never saw an adult beverage in your cooler but it has been awhile. :D
Horse shows used to be more about daring to be all about the sport, stories of chips, falls and off course rounds were as celebrated and reminisced about as big wins under insurmountable odds.
If you want to test yourself and are up to the uncertain results of moving ahead than by all means have a go at it.
If instead you are more interested in feeling safe and winning at the levels you are successful riding in stay there.
Not everyone has the motivation and commitment to advance, though I think that is the intent of competition.

Justice
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:23 AM
I was forced to start drinking when I moved to Michigan and found Justice up to his knees in water in his stall at his first show there. If you know me well enough, no doubt you are aware that I am a cheap date and one beer goes the distance. I do wish big chips and exciting rounds were still something to be celebrated. I would be doing a lot of celebrating when Stella starts her show career.

I did get busted for drinking a beer in the morning before a class with
the Michigan trainer. I had encouraged a fellow ammy to take my "medicine" with me, and he walked in and found us drinking beer in the aisle at 9 a.m. He just laughed and pointed out, "You know, this is a family barn. We usually do our drinking at the end of the day."

BTW, Wanderluster, send me a pm and tell me who you are. I think I knew at one time but can't remember now.

Jan. 4, 2010, 09:46 AM
LOL!!!! I love the beer suggestion!!!! Midge, I have been known to let the expletives fly too!!! Sometimes over a fence right in front of a judge.

It is interesting because when I asked the question I wasn't thinking of about the lack of challenge or the lack of blue ribbons. I started this sport at the age of 42 and everyday that I am on a horse is a gift whether or not I am walking home with a championship or not. Having missed death by a butterfly's wing because of a horrific car accident has given me an interesting perspective on my life. I am very proud of myself for my accomplishments but I am interested in the learning process much more so than winning. I posted the question because the move limits the number of classes I can enter with my mare. I feel like I have not had a lot of time in the saddle, as I am entering my 6th year with one year off. Compared to the other adult riders I speak to ringside who share that they have been riding since they were kids. I always have that nagging fear that I will make a mistake and injure my horse.

I appreciate all of your perspectives and thankyou for the giggles!!! I think I will write "Ringside Xanax" on the side of my cooler!

findeight
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:15 AM
I was forced to start drinking when I moved to Michigan...

Place has that effect on people.;)

See, I moved just south of there but, having a Mom from northwestern Canada and relatives all the way to Great Slave Lake and the Yukon? I started long ago, even in nice, pretty, warm places.:lol:

Whooppeeee, 23f today and the warmest all week if the forecast holds (50/50 shot of that:rolleyes:). I remain on sabbatical and the horse on vacation until around Valentines Day.

Interesting trivia-the coldest game in NFL history was not in Green Bay or Minynoplace before they wimped out and built a dome. It was right here in Cincitucky-either the Freezer Bowl or the Ice Bowl, can never remember. Might rival that on Saturday. Anticipated high of 18f, windy, low near 0f, wind chill minus teens. Kick off at 4:30pm just to be sure the sell out crowd is well fortified before sitting on those cold seats in the wind.

Good reason to stay in and enjoy a warm toddy.

Blinky
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
Oldenburger,
How exicting for you! Good luck with moving up! Does your area have Limit Hunters, which sometimes is 2'9"?