PDA

View Full Version : hunter jumper barns in NH

EightBelles134
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:47 PM
i currently ride at the elementary level in eventing,and also do some lower level dressage on the side. However i was looking into getting into hunters/equitation as a way to tide me over during the winter until the spring show circuit begins..so i was wondering if anyone knew of any hunter barns or instructors in New Hampshire?and also will my background in eventing affect me negatively if i were to do hunters?

LittleblackMorgan
Jan. 1, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hunter Haven (or Hunters Haven?) in Southern NH...perhaps Cutter Farm in Dracut MA, but know thats more geared to eventing.

oldenburger with fries and a cold beer
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:50 AM
I would think the only reason and eventing background could hurt you as a student is if you let it. Keep an open mind and have fun.
I don't know where in NH you are looking but a couple of barns that I have seen at shows come to mind. I am also not sure if you are looking for schoolies or shipping in.

Apple Knoll Farm in New Boston, NH

Senator Bell in Chester, NH

Winning Ways in Dover, NH

Yorkfield Farm in Kensington, NH

There are some more over the border in MA if you are near Keene or the seacoast area. Good luck and have fun!!!! I know a lot of people who have come over from the darkside!!!:cool: And stayed!!!:lol:

Invite
Jan. 2, 2010, 11:18 AM
If you wanted to go just over the border into MA, Chelise Storace is in the Newburyport area. She is very sweet and works out of a gorgeous new barn. I believe she is staying home rather than going to Ocala this winter. Last I knew, she accepted ship ins. OTOH, there are lots of H/J barns in MA.

Jodi Gitschier just put up a barn with an indoor in Chester, NH. It's called Graceful Image Farm. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met in the horse world. She will not allow any gossip or backstabbing amongst boarders, or they are given notice to find a new place. Jodi and her students do the local NH shows. I am not sure how far they go as far as shows. A friend of mine has young daughters who do leadline and walk trot type stuff with Jodi.

juststartingout
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:06 PM
Another vote for Cutter Farm in Dracut MA - training is available for eventers but there are also trainers focused on hunter jumpers

Catomine
Jan. 3, 2010, 01:08 PM
EvenStride in West Newbury MA

Ray
Jan. 3, 2010, 04:25 PM
what part of NH???

how about Penny Lowman ?
Maple Meadow Farm,13 Maple St.Pepperell, MA (let me know if you need contact info)

she is an eventer that has been known to take her horses to hunter shows ;) She teaches at our barn in No Central MA in the winter, its a h/j barn..... I have done some eventing and now do hunters and Eq.

would your back-ground in eventing negatively affect you for hunters ? heck no. The courses are easy, you just have to learn the nuances of hunters, would be great for your SJ phase of eventing

avec_love
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:12 PM
Sending you a PM.

Smithereens
Jan. 3, 2010, 06:29 PM
www.sweptawayfarm.com

kdriding
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:13 PM
There are several very good barns in southern NH:

Gretchen Anderson of Appleknoll farm: www.appleknollnh.com

Andrea Snow of Milestone Farm: www.milestonenh.com

Chelise Storace of Cressbrook Stables: www.cressbrookstables.com

They are all very well known and regarded. Good luck in your search. :)