View Full Version : jumper sales - advice needed!
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:19 PM
In the interest of keeping this post from sounding like an ad, I'm going to keep the details brief.
I have a lovely horse that I really need to sell. He's a fancy warmblood gelding, right age/size/color. But he's not a match for me, and I'm ready for a hiatus from the horses anyway. I'm an eventer and bought him 1.5 yrs ago for that, but tried to sell him as an eventer this fall and got NO bites. He's a fabulous show jumper and the top SJ trainer in my area thinks he's be great as a junior jumper, loves him, but has no one looking for this type of horse at the moment.
I've already spent lots of money with him at an event trainers' barn this fall, and really have very little left to invest in his sale. I am also up to my eye balls at work and can't easily do the marketing/showing to demonstrate him to his best ability. I really need to find someone in the southeast who will take him on commission, not ruin him (he is lovely to jump up to about 4'6" now) and get him sold. I'm willing to give them more on the sale in exchange for not paying out the nose on the monthly board/training. I just need to get him moving on...financial pressures and work pressures are killing me.
Anyone have any ideas?
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:39 PM
Would you consider a free full lease? I might know a couple people who could use a horse like this, but they can't affrd the purchase price. Most are going off to college soon, so like after a year the horse could easily be sold if it does have success in the show ring. Just something different to think about.
Jan. 1, 2010, 11:03 PM
I'm not completely opposed to the free lease situation, but I am wary. He's a fairly sensitive horse, and my fear is that he would return to me a year later with lots of bad new habits, worth less than he is now.
With the right person, I think it could potentially be doable, but I'd ideally rather get him sold now if possible. But I'm open to any and all suggestions! He's a fabulous horse, just looking for the right home.
Jan. 1, 2010, 11:16 PM
Does the SJ trainer who likes him have a flourishing sale program? If so, have you considered sending him to her?
Some trainers will be willing to take a horse in on their dime, if they like the horse enough. Then, when he's sold, the trainer can take their cut from that.
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, that's exactly the situation I'd love to find. The only jumper trainer I know well in town (I'm an eventer) doesn't have that sort of business, and would prefer just to bring him in for trials as they come along. That works ok, but there hasn't been too much action and I'm worried this could drag on...forever. Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep him in excellent shape while working 6-7 days a week - a major problem which is the whole reason I need to sell him in the first place.
I'd be happy to increase the commission percentage for someone who took him on their own dime, but not having a lot of connections in the jumper world, I'm not sure who I could rely on to do that responsibly and do right by the horse. Any ideas?
Isabeau Z Solace
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:49 AM
I know someone in VA. PM me the horses details.
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:34 AM
Sent you a PM.
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:43 AM
W R I T T E N C O N T R A C T.
Please. Bears repeating despite the fact half the posts on here with problems concerning trials and sales involve a lack of communication and either no or a poorly worded, open ended contract.
Make sure you are clear when sending one out on "spec" like this where the trainer picks up costs for a cut. What happens if it does not sell? What happens if it gets hurt? Who pays what?
Alot of trainers who do this kind of deal now put time limits on them as it is too expensive to carry one indefinately-and alot of sellers get blindsided by a horse coming back after 6 or 8 months unsold with a big as* bill for vet, farrier and lord knows what else.
Be real clear and get it in writing.
Is there any way you can hold off until later in the spring? Or get him to Florida? I'm sure it's a nice horse but is one of about a million for sale and the worst possible time of year.
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:51 PM
I am in total agreement with findeight on this!!!!
These types of arrangements can unfortunately go south on you really fast. Make sure you have thought of every little detail before you enter into any agreement, and if the requirements are too much for the trainer to sign off on, run away!!
I would advise to pass on the free lease idea, rarely see these work out good, unless it is as a pasture buddy or a pleasure horse.
Would it be possible for you to reduce your costs but giving the horse a break for the winter and just let him be a horse, board outside with some buddies etc.?
Jan. 2, 2010, 04:28 PM
I appreciate the advice! I think you guys are absolutely right about the contract issues. The worse case scenario is I wind up paying lots of money (vet bills, farrier bills, show bills, what have you) and he doesn't sell and winds up back with me...possibly having been in a not-so-great training program and with new problems.
My costs for him now are almost nil - I keep him at my own barn, so there's no board and the upkeep costs aren't bad. The issue is that I don't have time to ride him daily, advertise, deal with potential buyers, show him to buyers, etc all on my own. (I'm a resident surgeon and my life is not really my own.) That's why I'm looking for a good motivated agent to deal with that stuff for me - it is well worth the commission if it gets him sold.
Thanks for all the PM's...I am getting back to you as quickly as I can!
Jan. 2, 2010, 04:40 PM
Sent you a PM!
Jan. 2, 2010, 09:09 PM
We do marketing and do a pretty decent business in reasonably priced horses BUT we do NOT take horses "on the cuff". It is just not a good business move for a variety of reasons to get into this, and the situations I know of that did this RARELY work out to both parties benefit! Our marketing board IS very reasonable and we can usually get a sale within a 3 month window, often less sometimes (but rarely) more. Everything is done with a contract and up front about all costs etc. I have had people send me horses from all over and many happy customers both buyers and sellers. Jsut realize, that often the people that WILL do on the cuff really don't have the contacts or ability to market effectively, and unless you have a SUPER TALENTED horse the big pros that might do it, won't be interested.
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:55 AM
What about doing a free lease for someone to ride him until you have more money to market him?
I can't imagine any reputable trainer taking a horse just for commission... I think the market is too unreliable right now. If you pay board, I guess its possible to bargain for reduced training fees and a higher commission, but I think you're going to have to spend money to sell him. Sounds like a nice horse though!
Maybe you can get him down to Florida before circuit ends, there are usually lots of people selling and buying.
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:02 AM
I would try to find a really good trainer who could take him to Florida for a good junior to ride, perhaps on free lease, until sold.
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:58 PM
Yankee Lawyer, I like the idea, but does anyone have any suggestions of such a trainer who is reliable/trustworthy and will look out for the horse?
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:17 AM
Just trying to help here, but does your horse have the disposition to be a Big Eq horse? If so, have you considered this option? He sounds like he might be just the ticket for someone...
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:55 AM
Why don't you send him to a high end auction, Nona Garson has one in February. I sold one of mine (same situation as you) last year.
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:59 AM
I am always weary of sending them out on a free lease situation but many trainers will take nice ones on the cuff. I'd recommend that or a high end auction.