PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather riding gear

AEM74
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:40 PM
I just got home from a lesson a little bit ago and the outside temp was around 12 degrees (yes, LAZ, I know it was 20.7 in the barn but still... ;)). My boy and I had a good lesson and once we got movin' I was fine, but I think I need more "serious" winter riding gear so I have one less excuse to not drag my sorry butt to the barn when it's this frigid. I have the Ariat thermal, full seat riding tights and really like those. I'm thinking of ordering another pair but I'm also considering the Kerrits Sit Tight N Warm breeches. Anyone tried those? Any opinions on them?

Also, I need warmer underthings. Anyone tried the two-piece Mountain Horse tights and mock neck that you're to wear under your breeches and whatnot? What do you think of those?

Any other recommendations of winter breeches/tights or warm under-layers are most welcome. Thanks!

jn4jenny
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:56 PM
No opinion on the Kerrits, but I adore my Irideon Wind Pro Fleece breeches. They served me well today in 28-degree indoor arena temps!

IMO you're better off getting non-horse-branded long underwear. Under Armour is the bomb, but if you can't afford it (like me), Cuddl' Duds microfiber is also very good. Sam's Club sells Cuddl' Duds in the winter, and I think Penneys sells them year round but don't quote me on that.

gardenie
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:08 PM
No matter what you wear on top, when its cold, chemical hand and foot warmers make life much more bearable. Easy to find in hunting section or online...I cannot survive without them in anything under 35 degrees, and that includes Michigan and Kansas winter temps...

WishIWereRiding
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have the Kerrits sit tight n'warm in both knee patch and full seat, and find them very warm and comfortable. Are you riding outside or in an indoor? I am usually comfortable wearing a smart wool or other crew neck thermal top, layered on top with either a fleece, or other synthetic turtleneck type top. My outer layer is a lightweight EMS quilted jacket which I only where when tacking up, but get too hot in it when riding. Even when it was 12 degrees last week I still ditched the jacket when riding and wore the Smart Wool top, knit fleece turtleneck, and Kerrits sit tight n'warm breeches. I also got the Middleburg boots from Dover which are very warm. I like the Hot Chilly's thermal tops because the back is long enough to tuck into your breeches.
I wear this a lot and love it! http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3646225&cp=3677318.3737271.3693429

asterix
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
ditto on the chemical foot/hand warmers -- I have a stash that I will use for clinics and other times I can't just abandon myself to unkempt layers :D

I grew up in SoCal so find even our MidAtlantic winters terrible.

You can get great deals on long underwear at sierratradingpost.com -- get bottoms, sock liners, glove liners, and tops.
Then add on top of that layer, smart wool socks and good insulated boots (some on TOTD today), fleecy winter britches (I covet the Irideons and FITS but have a nice pair of Harry Halls I got for super cheap at Rolex), a lightweight fleece layer or two, fleece headband for under your helmet, and a good windproof jacket/coat and serious gloves (I just got Mtn Horse "extreme" gloves and love them).

Then you can strip down while riding a fair amount -- I'll lose the top two jacket/fleece layers, go back to regular riding gloves, and even lose the fleece headband if I'm warm.

EightBelles134
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:42 PM
i LOVE my PolarTech winter riding breeches by EQ...I got those about a year ago after suffering through one New England winter with "Regular" riding pants,and i haven't regretted since, add to that my fleece helmet cover and winter riding boots that i have and i'm good to go...i would highly reccomend the PolarTech breeches to anyone

KBG Eventer
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:04 PM
Well, it doesn't get as cold as that here, but warm clothing is warming clothing I suppose!

My mom ordered a bunch of stuff from www.moosejaw.com. She got some great layering tops for free with the reward/point system.

Under Armour is GREAT, but I got a couple of Icebreaker (wool) items which have been very warm too.

I think a good breaker helps so much, and I have had a North Face windbreaker/shell for several years now. It has gotten a lot of wear, mud, rain, horse snot, etc. and it keeps me very warm and dry.

Smart Wool socks, for me, work even better than the feet warmer/Toasty Toes.

I have one pair of fleeced lined breeches that I like by EQ. I have the regular Kerrit Sit N' Tights and kind of think the full seat part is too sticky! So I haven't gotten the fleece lined pair.

pixietrix
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:12 PM
Sit Tight N' Warm Breeches. Every day this week....getting ready for another bout of temperatures in the teens. I can hardly wait to leave for Aiken!! :(

billiebob
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:19 PM
EMS has some great thermals. I have two of their heaviest weight. Also scour TJ Maxx or Marshalls for great deals on Under Armour. Tomorrow it's supposed to be about 30 with some serious windchills, and I will be wearing:

(top) Shiny thermal, long sleeved shirt, fleece, winter jacket
(bottom) Under Armour tights, Tropical Rider toasties, wool hunting socks from Walmart

Layers are key (although right about now I'd love to only have to put one set of clothes on every morning).

SparklePlenty
Jan. 1, 2010, 11:43 PM
I recommend the Kerrits you mentioned and Under Amour Metal.. Best stuff i have ever used! I can wear just the UAMetal Shirt and a sweatshirt when it's in the 20's and be a-ok..

:) Good luck!!

Friday1
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:21 AM
i just bought these britches in full seat on sale at Dover and they are fabulous. I live in NJ where it has been 19 in the indoor one day and 40 the next. Its GRRREAT! :(

I also just bought a Mountain Horse Winter Jacket. It is super warm and I am a big fan. I was looking for a down jacket and was very skeptical, but the new Mountain Horse is super warm.

My normal gear for the 20's is:
bottom--silk long johns, kerits sit tight britches in full seat, wool winter hiking socks.
top -- long sleve tee shirt or slik long john top, Reebok Play Dry fabric mock turle neck (love these), fleece top/sweater/sweatshirt, Moutainhorse Jacket.
Still trying to find my favorite pair of winer gloves, but the ones I have now are ok.

Find the hand warmers to be a must if its in the low 20s or below and I am riding more than one.

Good lord it seems like its going to be a long, snowy winter! Wish I was off to aiken this year...:no:

yellowbritches
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:41 AM
I don't think you need to buy horse specific cold weather gear to survive. Quality base layers that wick sweat away are the best things, and you can find decent ones inexpensively. Some of my favorites are called "Cuddle Duds" (the name cracks me up). They are light weight and silky against the skin, don't bunch up, and fit well under britches. I think you can find them at Target. Obviously, you can get great stuff that is very fancy and technical at sporting goods stores, especially stores that specialize in outdoor sports.

I swear by Smart Wool socks. They are warm, comfy (good, since I am on my feet all day), and are designed to wick sweat away. Warm socks are super important to me...I hate cold feet!

And screw the warm britches...I am all about full chaps, especially since I scored so incredibly this week when I got a new pair (looking for off the rack, none that fit me. They had a pair of unclaimed customs that fit me like I had ordered them myself!!!! ).

Irideon does have a nice balaclva (sp? I know that is NOT how you spell it but my brain isn't awake yet) that I got for Christmas. It is designed to go under helmets, so it's not bulky at all, has a handy pony tail slot, and is very soft and comfy. I highly doubt I'll actually wear mine for riding, but I'll definitely be wearing it on my bikes!

Brigitte
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:24 AM
Not exactly clothing, but Sams Club carries the giant box of the hand warmers quite cheap! Gets me through the whole winter.

I find I can stay out nearly all day with the hand warmers in my gloves. And of course layers of fleece, etc.

horsecents
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:30 AM
Love my Tropical Rider Toasties Full Seats, warm and comfy. I usually tack up my horse then change into my paddock boots (Ariat Winter) and half chaps (Ariat Thermal). Keeping a dry pair of wool socks to change into is key. Right now I'm just walking my horse for a half hour each day in the indoor and keeping warm can be tough. I like to wear a Cuddledud shirt under a polarfleece 1/4 zip shirt. If I'm doing more than walking I wear a vest (Royal Robbins Peralta) over that. I start out wearing a jacket but can quickly shed it when I start trot work. I have a Tipperary helmet that I can wear a polarfleece headband under to keep my ears warm. Tried one of the Helmet Helpers Fleece Covers but it was too warm! I like the SSG All Weather Winter Glove to ride in. 2 way zippers on outerwear is very important and I wear a nice pair of nylon ski type pants over my breeches before and after I ride.

I'm up in the northeast corner of Ohio in the snowbelt. I don't ride when it is 15 degrees or colder (unheated indoor).

Irishrose261
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:31 AM
I really love my Sit Tight and Warm breeches. Be warned: the knee patches are VERY sticky!

jn4jenny
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:34 AM
Not exactly clothing, but Sams Club carries the giant box of the hand warmers quite cheap! Gets me through the whole winter.

I love those, but at about 40 cents a pop, they're a little too pricey for me. If I were out at the barn for the full 10 hours that they work, I would definitely spring for them. But since I only need to stay warm for a few hours, I use the reuseable kind that you recharge in boiling water. They claim that you can only use them 40 times but mine have surely been used over 100 times and are still going strong. It's cheaper and better for the environment, but the tradeoff is that they only stay warm for about 60 minutes.
http://www.campingsurvival.com/prreha.html

ThirdCharm
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:54 AM
I have the Kerrits Sit Tight n Warm and Irideon WindPro breeches and they are both awesome. The kerrits knee patches ARE very grippy.

I love my UnderArmour, too.

Jennifer

Hollywood
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:56 AM
My challenge is always my fingers.

But as for everything else - I love under armour as my base layer! I also have a couple Nike equivalents that I found at TJ Maxx last year for a fraction of the under armour.

I have the Boink full seat fleece lined breeches and they are very warm and comfy. I've had them for at least 6-7 years and they have held up great.

I have the Ariat Iceberg insulated boots in a 1/2 size too big, these with a pair of moisture wick ski socks, I have never had cold feet!

And people make fun - but I have a polar fleece helmet cover and that thing is the bomb for keeping my head, ears, and chin warm.

And then to go outdoors, my riding coat is wind resistant.

AEM74
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:06 PM
And people make fun - but I have a polar fleece helmet cover and that thing is the bomb for keeping my head, ears, and chin warm.

Yes, we do make fun, but I'm sure your ears are nice and toasty! ;)

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I just ordered a couple pairs of the Kerrits Sit Tight n Warm full seats and am going to TJ Maxx this afternoon to comb for Smart Wool socks. I'm also going to keep my eyes peeled for Nike under things or a deal on Under Armour.

LAZ
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:42 PM
My challenge is always my fingers.

And then to go outdoors, my riding coat is wind resistant.

The first time I rode with the polar fleece helmet cover all you guys were rolling around on the ground, laughing at my bowling ball head--but I've noticed nearly everyone has one now! Great for keeping ears, neck and face warm, and easily opened up to be cooler if need be (though then the snoopy comments start).

My hands don't get too cold indoors while riding, I usually use just my usual gloves for riding and have my beloved Gordini gloves for before/after, though for really invigorating days I use a pair of thinsulte backed SSG's. I think it is much the same as socks/boots--if you wear them too tight you get cold, so try buying your insulated gloves a size bigger.

AEM & Hollywood already know this--I buy a lot of my outdoor gear off the Campmor Hot Deals page, or the REI outlet page. Same equipment, but a season out of date or off colors for as much as 70% less.

Auburn
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
Layers, layers and more layers.

The polar fleece helmet cover is great.

You can find great deals on base layers, silk layers, mid layers and polar fleece on top. They make the polar fleece, with it turned inward, so that shavings, hay and hair will not stick to you.

I like the Wind Pro Irideons better than the 3 Season ones, because they are warmer and stuff doesn't stick. The Kerrits, Sit Tight and Warm are great, but they are very sticky. If you have car seat covers, they will come with you when you get out of your car. :yes:

For feet, I have thin base layer socks (I got those at Dick's), which go under the smartwool socks. Because my feet are so large, I get a men's large. You have to leave room for your toes to move or you will start to lose circulation, which will make them cold really fast. Mountain Horse paddock boots or the tall boots work well, too. My DH just bought some insoles called "The Insulator", which are supposed to help keep your feet warm. I am going to cut them to fit my Blunstones.

Polar tec gloves, with hand wamers, work just fine to keep my fingers warm.

Just remember that your base layers need to be "wicking" material.

clm08
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:04 PM
I second the Boinks full seat winter breeches. Mine are 5 yrs old and still my favorite pair: warm and very comfy, so much that I forget to change into regular pants when I go back home. Every year I think I'll need to replace them but they are in the same shape as when brand new. I also have the Kerrits but they are not warm enough for me when it is 15 F in the indoor and 5 F outdoor. With the Boinks I don't need an underlayer. Ariats Artic tall boots and wool socks complement the breeches. For the top I like to layer so if I get warm riding I can peel some layers. I usually have a long sleeve t-shirt, a fleece, a vest and a jacket.

Auburn
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:10 PM
Oh, I forgot. Toasty top bras are awesome. Cotton anything will get wet, stay wet and then make you cold. The Toasty top bras are made of polar fleece, so they wick away the sweat. I highly recommend them. :D

AEM74
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:19 PM
Oh, I forgot. Toasty top bras are awesome. Cotton anything will get wet, stay wet and then make you cold. The Toasty top bras are made of polar fleece, so they wick away the sweat. I highly recommend them. :D

Thanks for the bra tip. After my lesson yesterday that's what LAZ and I were discussing - how my sweaty bra, more than anything, is what causes me to get chilled after riding. Maybe TMI but hey, is it what it is... :winkgrin:

Absolut Equestrian
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
It's currently 15 degrees outside, and I'm getting ready to go ride in the following. Tried and true, and I know I'll stay warm!

Kerrits Sit tight and warm breeches - I don't really like how "grippy" the full seats are, but they are toasty!

Ariat Insulated Tek Grip gloves - super warm and not too bulky. I recently tried the Kerrits Wintersport gloves thinking that they would be like the breeches, but I hated them! Way to stiff, and actually made my hands sweat.

Under Armour Shirt - My latest obsession! I got a coldgear compression shirt for Christmas, and I'm totally in love. I choked at retail prices to buy more, but today I snagged a men's small at Marshall's for $20!

Fleece half-zip from old navy

LLBean reversible fleece & nylon jacket

Silk socks under thin 100% wool dress socks.

retreadeventer
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:42 PM
What? Campmor Hot Deals? Sounds like a registered Quarter Horse name....LAZ....you cannot stay warm enough no matter what you wear if you are wimpy like me. I would try a heated motorcycle suit if I could post the trot in it.
Who the he** has an indoor to ride in?
We are currently at 16 degree wind chill. They don't make riding clothes for that kind of wind or cold! It's Delawhere. They haven't invented indoors in this state yet.

scubed
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:46 PM
So in coldest weather:

Under armour thin beanie and 180 ear muffs with my helmet
Fleece gaiter around my neck
Toasty tops camisole over EMS techwick bra
1 layer capilene
1 layer lightweight fleece mockneck
thermatex vest
Polarfleece 200 zip
Thisulate vest (not puffy)
Down coat (that I actually take off when I am riding down to about 15 degrees and if colder than than I probably don't ride)

Irideon wind pro full seat breeches (best prices www.classicsaddlery.com)

Acorn fleece socks
chemical toe warmers
Ariat winter paddock boots and half chaps

North face windblock gore tex gloves with chemical hand warmers inside

Have thought about this, but haven't done it: http://www.brookstone.com/Womens-Heated-Vest.html?bkeid=compare|mercent|googlebase|search&mr:trackingCode=9F785FE1-428B-DE11-9EF7-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA

I am a total cold weenie, but ride through the winter (and even did in Michigan for 6 years)

RegentLion
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:50 PM
I've been riding outside all winter! So far, so good.

My plan is warm layers and wind blocking top layer.

On Top:
Under armor top
Fleece, fleece, fleece! I wear multiple layers of fleece depending on how cold it is. It is lightweight and WARM. Most often I wear 2 fleece jackets/zipups or a pullover and a zipup over my UA.

If it is windy I then add on a wind stopping jacket, usually a windbreaker works fine.

On Bottom:
Under Armor bottoms
EQ fleece full seat breeches (they are entirely polar fleece, not just lined)
Full chaps or half chaps if it isn't too windy.

Feet:
Thick Smart Wool socks
Dahner hunting boots (they have a tread and a heel and aren't too wide for my stirrups), they are lightly insulated.

Head:
I tack up in one of those down/rabbit fur mad bomber hats over a UA polar fleece hat. I then swap out the mad bomber hat for my helmet.

The big keys for me are:
-Keeping my head warm and then the polar fleece topped by wind stopping something or other.

In temps as low as 10 I've ridden comfortably in just 2 or 3 fleece tops and UA as well as my fleece breeches and full leather chaps.

For those of you using chemical hand and foot warmers, where do you put them in your gloves/boots that they aren't in the way?:confused:

IFG
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
I love the Boinks. I have three pairs of the knee patch that I have had for years (like 10). I do not have an indoor, and the Boinks keep me riding in all weather.

I recently got a pair of the Von Boink Full seats, and they don't seem to fit the same. (I have them for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested).

I agree on using layers and relying on non-horse suppliers. I love a coolmax or silk vest in the twenties, then a cotton turtleneck, then a polarfleece vest, then a polarfleece sweatshirt, topped by a wind shell anorak from LL Bean.

In colder weather, I use long sleeved silk long johns or Patagonia long underwear, topped with polarfleece t-neck, and then the other layers that I mentioned.

I just got a pair of the Kerrits. We'll see if they can measure up to the Boinks.

I also just got an awesome pair of Kerrits gloves. I used them riding the other day when it was in the teens, and my hands were too hot. They have ribbing on the back so they move easily. I think that they are the Wintersport, but I have some with the smooth back that I don't like at all.

Smartwool is to die for...Nuff said.

Layers are key as is using good wicking bottom layers.

Ltc4h
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
I also use either Irideon or chaps on top
Bandanas fit great under your helmet for warm ears + you can still hear
Dovers fleece turtlenecks actually warm enough that you can ride with just that and a wool sweater down to 30* Add down vest to 20* Mountain horse coat to 10*
I don't ride colder than that
Silk socks in insulated Ariats
And best thing ever-Winter Cycling gloves, extremely thin but doesn't allow wind to go through

IFG
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
Forgot to add. Boots are insulated Ariats. And I also own a Polarfleece cover for my helmet. I use that when it drops below 25 or so.

LAZ
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:48 PM
What? Campmor Hot Deals? Sounds like a registered Quarter Horse name....LAZ....you cannot stay warm enough no matter what you wear if you are wimpy like me. I would try a heated motorcycle suit if I could post the trot in it.
Who the he** has an indoor to ride in?
We are currently at 16 degree wind chill. They don't make riding clothes for that kind of wind or cold! It's Delawhere. They haven't invented indoors in this state yet.

Retread--we have *2* indoors. :D

Don't you know there is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing....

;)

pony grandma
Jan. 2, 2010, 03:01 PM
Don't you know there is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing....

;)

She's blonde!! she must be Norwegian. You know that they bundle the babies and stick them outside in the snow on a sunny day in a basket to take a nap. :D

AEM74
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:51 PM
Okay, ya'll, to add to my Ariat thermal breeches, I've ordered a couple pairs of the Kerrits breeches and I am now the proud owner of some new Smart Wool socks, Under Armour cold gear mock neck and a Reebok Cold Weather Compression mock neck. Between those items and my fleece layers, silly beanie and whatnot, I should be good to go. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

BTW, Dick's Sporting Goods has the Reebok shirts on sale for $22.50 - half off. You can get them in-store of course or receive free shipping online on orders over $69. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3583268&cp=2460170.3088373.3090184.3090187

atouchofclass
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:51 AM
The best cold weather gear I have found is Mountain Horse.
They are from Sweden and I think that kind of gives them an edge in cold weather riding.

http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/winter_polar_breeches.html

wildlifer
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
Yes, don't waste your money on "horse specific" cold weather gear -- you can usually get better fabrics and more effective stuff much cheaper at outdoor goods stores. I just picked up a bunch of great long underwear at sierratradingpost for $10 a pop, tops and bottoms. Layer technical wicking fabrics for the best insulation.

ETA -- I do have two things horsey -- Mtn Horse insulated Ice Rider paddock boots, which are awesome, and Kerrits fleece lined tights.

sisu27
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:57 AM
Irideon Windpros over Woolpower longjohns and suede full chaps on top.

Battery heated socks, Columbia short boots, Woolpower balaclava and thinsulate lined deerskin gloves.

For non-riding days (auditing, lunging...) Sorel Caribous and a fur coat!

slight
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
I've been riding outside all winter! So far, so good.

My plan is warm layers and wind blocking top layer.

On Top:
Under armor top
Fleece, fleece, fleece! I wear multiple layers of fleece depending on how cold it is. It is lightweight and WARM. Most often I wear 2 fleece jackets/zipups or a pullover and a zipup over my UA.

If it is windy I then add on a wind stopping jacket, usually a windbreaker works fine.

On Bottom:
Under Armor bottoms
EQ fleece full seat breeches (they are entirely polar fleece, not just lined)
Full chaps or half chaps if it isn't too windy.

Feet:
Thick Smart Wool socks
Dahner hunting boots (they have a tread and a heel and aren't too wide for my stirrups), they are lightly insulated.

Head:
I tack up in one of those down/rabbit fur mad bomber hats over a UA polar fleece hat. I then swap out the mad bomber hat for my helmet.

The big keys for me are:
-Keeping my head warm and then the polar fleece topped by wind stopping something or other.

In temps as low as 10 I've ridden comfortably in just 2 or 3 fleece tops and UA as well as my fleece breeches and full leather chaps.

For those of you using chemical hand and foot warmers, where do you put them in your gloves/boots that they aren't in the way?:confused:

I wondered that too! (I mean about where to put the warmers)

NMK
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:08 AM
On top of your toes (not under) and on top of your hands. I can't put them under my feed (old feet, bad bones).

N

sch1star
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:08 AM
You can fit them in the palm of your hand under your glove, but I usually just keep them in my pockets, and take off my gloves to hug them.

They are really useful - but beware - they take a little while to heat up - longer if you open the package and stick them right in a pocket, since they're air-activated.

Ready here for winter to be over already! Hahaha... :no:

AM
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:56 AM
Tip from one of the newscasters reporting outside for over 12 hours during our recent major snowstorm - anti-persperant on your toes/feet. He said it keeps them from sweating and getting your socks wet and cold.

Also I'm wondering if you all are riding outside in all these layers? I ride in an indoor in the evening and don't wear near so many layers.

slight
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, I'm outside - wishing for an indoor :lol:

I'm also in NC and not nearly as frozen as some of you folks...
a confessed wimp who grew up in southern CA.

I loved the pictures of the beautiful snowy farm!! How lovely, (and how humbling that I'm cold in NC). Thanks for posting those.

cindylouwho
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:48 AM
One other winter riding trick I use, is keeping a blow drier in the barn to warm my bits. I'm sure some of you have heated tack rooms, but for the rest of us.... the blow drier comes in handy.

IFG
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:26 PM
I ride outside. I warm by bit using a home-made bit warmer. Horsey lives at home, so I have an old sock filled with dried split peas that were past their date. I zap it for 2 mins, then hang it over the bit once I walk out to the barn.

Mudroom
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:42 PM
I have a pair of winter bicycling pants - lycra designed to both keep you warm and cut the wind. I just use those under regular breeches. I like them as least as good, if not better than the Under Armour bottoms.

Get some of the Thermacare back wraps. They will keep you warm for 6-8 hours. If your core is warm then the rest of you will be better off too. great for while doing chores too.

If you are taking a lesson in the cold show up with one for your instructor he or she will be in a much better mood and with thank you all day long.

mybelle
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:23 PM
I have a pair of Ariat Tall winter boots and when they arrived (I bought them online) they were too big - or so I thought - there is actually the perfect amount of room for me to wear one thin sock, then I stick the toe warmer to the underside of my toes then I put a thick sock over it. I wear 2 pairs of longjohns under my fleece lined breeches on really cold days.

My Mountain Horse jacket is so warm, I can only use it on super cold days. It has ten million pockets too!

I find the neck warmer/gaiter/turtle fur (it goes by many names) to be key to warmth on really cold days. I also have the dorky helmet cover that makes me look like a goon, but keeps me very warm

LARGEBORE
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:55 PM
I stumbled into the hunting section of a sporting goods store and found lots of cold weather stuff, socks, gloves, underwear, wind proof liners and down jackets. But much to my disapointmnet after spending almost $500 I found them not so great for riding. Learned a lesson. I will stick with my Mountain Horse cold weather gear because it just works. I wear it standing in a bone chilling arena as well as being active riding out in the field... Now if I can figure out how to return the merchandise I bought I have my eye on some cool, I mean warm stuff from Mountain Horse.

AEM74
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:25 PM
Those who know me know that I love a good bargain (and I love to pass bargains onto friends). So... For those of you that are fans of the hand and toe warmers, check out Overstock.com. Forty pairs of 6+ hour toe warmers for $40, case of 40 7-hour hand warmers for $33 and they have a kit with hand, toe and body warmers for $27.

Dawnd
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:00 AM
The first time I rode with the polar fleece helmet cover all you guys were rolling around on the ground, laughing at my bowling ball head--but I've noticed nearly everyone has one now! Great for keeping ears, neck and face warm, and easily opened up to be cooler if need be (though then the snoopy comments start).

Be sure to check out Irideon's helmet liner. Not quite as geeky as the outer helmet cover. I have both and prefer the helmet liner 1000xs more. (mostly because I am very vain but also because it is SO comfy).

IFG
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:44 AM
OK, where did you get the Irideon helmet liner. On a cursory google search, I could not find it.

Also, after riding in my new Kerrits winter breeches, IMHO, they are not nearly as warm as my Boinks.

AEM74
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
OK, where did you get the Irideon helmet liner. On a cursory google search, I could not find it.

This is what I found when I searched: http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?k=82201&p=30-4573. I wonder if this is it.

IFG
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks. I missed that when I searched. Looks interesting. I have the Polar Fleece one. It makes me nervous when I trail ride in the snow, because I cannot hear hunters well.

LAZ
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:22 AM
I have a pair of winter bicycling pants - lycra designed to both keep you warm and cut the wind. I just use those under regular breeches. I like them as least as good, if not better than the Under Armour bottoms.

Get some of the Thermacare back wraps. They will keep you warm for 6-8 hours. If your core is warm then the rest of you will be better off too. great for while doing chores too.

If you are taking a lesson in the cold show up with one for your instructor he or she will be in a much better mood and with thank you all day long.

That's a great idea--do you get these to fit tight?

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:44 PM
I use these under my helmet. I used to nordic ski race and then I decided they had double duty. They keep my ears so freaking warm it's crazy. I will put on a neck warmer with it if it's really cold aswell.

http://www.ernordic.com/merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EWS&Product_Code=MC110&Product_Count=1&Category_Code=4

They are the best. It's very cold where I am, and for the first time in forever I don't have an indoor.

atouchofclass
Jan. 7, 2010, 06:17 PM
Check this out if you really want to ride in any weather.
The link is to the balaclava but they feature a headband that keeps your ears warm and beanie to wear under your helmet.

http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/winter_opus_balaclava.html

Dawnd
Jan. 8, 2010, 01:57 PM
This is what I found when I searched: http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?k=82201&p=30-4573. I wonder if this is it.

Yes, that's it. Mine's black and has a ponytail hole. It is thin and silky feeling. I purchased mine from VTO saddlery but I can't find it on their site now. I paid $17.95. Maybe it's worth calling them.

The colors on the toklat site are nice.

This was probably the best $ that I've spent on gear. Every time I put it on, I'm glad that I have it. (I'm in Vermont so we know cold weather).