PDA

View Full Version : Collegiate figure 8 bridle

jrzeqrider
Jan. 1, 2010, 04:44 PM
Sorry for another bridle thread, but the one I ordered from Smartpak arrived a little too light and after doing some research, I've read that it won't take oil too well.. I'm on a pretty tight budget now, so just looking for a good bridle to get me through until I get a nice one and make this a schooling one.

So does anyone have this one? Is it pretty dark? I'm riding a dark bay and have a really dark Prestige saddle, so I don't want anything too light. TIA!!

http://www.victorycanter.com/Collegiate-Figure-8-Bridle-p-22027.html

3DogNight
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:39 PM
Don't have an answer for you yet, but I did just order that exact bridle from State Line and it will be here next week. I will try to remember to post my impressions once I receive it :) Hoping it's as nice as it looks in the pictures.

jrzeqrider
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:52 AM
bump?

SkipChange
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:53 PM
Well I have a 4 year old Collegiate pony bridle that I love dearly. Sure, its not a high end bridle but it's more than worth the price. It turned dark and supple and looks great. I've seen some newer ones and have been less impressed. Stiffer, more plastic type leather...but I think with some thorough oiling it would soften up as well.

I confess I oiled mine *liberally* as in poured oil in a bowl, dipped each piece slowly. Repeat. It is still very durable, darkened beautifully. I wouldn't do this with fine high end leather but worked for this bridle.

Be sure to clean it off (castille soap preferably) before oiling to help it take up the oil.

3DogNight
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
@ Jrzeqrider - received Collegiate figure-8 bridle this past week. Looked great straight out of the box. Cleaned well with saddle soap to remove the waxy stuff they dress it with for shipping and I have since oiled it twice with warmed olive oil (EVOO). I can't believe how great it looks! It's already almost as dark as my older Edgewood (5 yrs.) and Hadfield (7-8 yrs.) bridles. I have yet to actually put in on the horse, but I couldn't be happier with the way it oiled and darkened up. For the price, it is definitely a great value. Craftsmanship also appears to be very good, time will tell how it will hold up.