PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub method for breaking in tall boots??

Raaben
Jan. 1, 2010, 04:05 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this, that could give me some advice or whatnot? Here's the instructions I've been given..

"Fill a tub with lukewarm water and put on old schooling breeches/socks, then slip on the boots and get into the tub until the boots are wet(until you feel water inside them). Once done leave everything on until the boots are dry then leave them upright overnight".

That's what my RI told me to do, does it work? Cuz it seems a bit weird to actually wear all that just to break them in lol

ThisIsIt
Jan. 1, 2010, 04:19 PM
I know alot of people that do that.
I've done it, it works pretty well.

Raaben
Jan. 1, 2010, 04:34 PM
I know alot of people that do that.
I've done it, it works pretty well.

Guess I'll put on my schooling breeches and hop in then if it works;)

Lucassb
Jan. 1, 2010, 05:18 PM
You don't actually have to get IN the bathtub (unless you want to, lol.)

Fill tub with warm water, hold boots by the foot, and dunk them in the water til they are quite wet. I don't bother wetting the foot portion (although it won't hurt anything) and then put them on; wear til TOTALLY dry.

I've used this method on several pairs of boots, including my $$$$ customs, and it works great.

kateh
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:48 PM
I used it on my last pair of boots. Wear plastic bags over your feet so you don't have to feel the disgusting wet-boot feeling. Consider giving the leather a conditioning the next day when they're totally dry.

ThisIsIt
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:29 PM
I used it on my last pair of boots. Wear plastic bags over your feet so you don't have to feel the disgusting wet-boot feeling. Consider giving the leather a conditioning the next day when they're totally dry.

Yeah. My feet started itching. :O

GallopGirl
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:29 PM
Definitely works. I use the bathtub for tall boots, but I only stand in the water until I can fell my feet getting damp. My girlfriend sat there for like 20 minutes and literally was sloshing water all day. They never dried! Once feet are damp, I get out and do whatever. If I'm breaking in paddock boots, a day of baths usually does the trick. I've done the same with custom chaps. Water helps loosen the leather. If you take them off before completely dry, they shrink down.

Raaben
Jan. 2, 2010, 03:10 PM
Definitely works. I use the bathtub for tall boots, but I only stand in the water until I can fell my feet getting damp. My girlfriend sat there for like 20 minutes and literally was sloshing water all day. They never dried! Once feet are damp, I get out and do whatever. If I'm breaking in paddock boots, a day of baths usually does the trick. I've done the same with custom chaps. Water helps loosen the leather. If you take them off before completely dry, they shrink down.

Some suggest actually sitting others don't. I haven't done it quite yet coz as I said I was told to use old socks and breeches at the same time others say not to..not really sure who to believe lol:/

Long Spot
Jan. 2, 2010, 03:41 PM
Done it. It's uncomfortable, but it works. It's not as uncomfortable as trying to ride in boots that wont break in though.:lol:

cllane1
Jan. 2, 2010, 03:52 PM
Or you can stand in a water jump. That's how I got mine soaked!

Mine are only cheap Ovations (backups to my Mountain Horse boots, on which the zipper has broken) and they look and feel great after soaking!

tidy rabbit
Jan. 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
I never thought there was much merit to that suggestion until I got completely drenched at the Biltmore and my Vogels fit much better across the toe afterwards!

Valeureux
Jan. 2, 2010, 05:53 PM
At the last show, my boots broke and I had to get new ones by the next day. We got them after I finished showing and wore them around until the backs of my knees bled. A lady at one of the tack shops told me to wrap sopping wet towels around the ankles overnight and pop them on the next day. Showing the next day was painless, the boots had broken in great, and no gross wet boot feeling in the bathtub :)

YankeeLawyer
Jan. 2, 2010, 06:01 PM
At the last show, my boots broke and I had to get new ones by the next day. We got them after I finished showing and wore them around until the backs of my knees bled.

With new boots, it is a good idea to use 1 or 2 heel pads inside until the boot drops slightly around the ankle. Otherwise you will get rubs and an extra fold in the leather right behind the knee.

Kestrel
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:32 PM
A bio-occlusive dressing like Tegaderm (what they put over your IV in the hospital) will help protect the skin on the back of your knee. You can leave it on for a couple days, then it will mostly fall off. You can buy these at Walgreens. If I get a bleeding wound there, I put some polysporin on just the owie part, then cover the whole area with the dressing. That can get you through the show. Make sure your skin is really dry when you put it on.

Raaben
Jan. 3, 2010, 07:53 PM
Or you can stand in a water jump. That's how I got mine soaked!

Mine are only cheap Ovations (backups to my Mountain Horse boots, on which the zipper has broken) and they look and feel great after soaking!

Unfortunately no water jump although there is a waist deep pond near my house, maybe that'd work:)

Horsegal984
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:33 PM
Water troughs work too, except the horses think you're nuts! Worked great for breaking in my Ariats, just make sure they are totally dry before taking them off or they will be too tight. Best to do it in the morning and then wear them all day.

cllane1
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:47 PM
Here's a pic of me in the water jump with my boots on! I had just finished x-c schooling, and didn't want to have to trailer back to the barn to hose the horse, so I cooled him off in the water jump. The beneficial effect on the boots didn't occur to me til later.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2141887690058017139VsdYme

But yep, the water trough or a pond would work too!

GrayCatFarm
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:32 PM
I am getting my first pair of custom boots (Vogels) with back zippers - due in mid January. I have found this forum to be filled with great tips, but I just can't get my mind around putting them on and then getting them wet. Maybe after I put them on the first time, I'll see the light.

SportsFan46
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:35 PM
A less extreme method for breaking in boots is to mix water & alcohol in equal parts in a spray bottle and spray the heck out of them when they are on and wear them.

Lucassb
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:39 PM
A less extreme method for breaking in boots is to mix water & alcohol in equal parts in a spray bottle and spray the heck out of them when they are on and wear them.

Yikes. I would *never* use alcohol on fine leather.

citydog
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
It's what's in the commercial "boot stretch" spray stuff, and what most cobblers use before putting boots on the stretchers.

RockinHorse
Jan. 4, 2010, 07:26 AM
How long does it generally take for the boots to dry? I am thinking of trying this method but don't know about how long I will need to plan to keep the boots on for them to dry completely.

danosaur
Jan. 4, 2010, 05:01 PM
you absolutely do NOT need to wear britches and socks in the tub. that is ridiculous.
I've done it a couple times, works like a charm. I wore just my tall boot in the tub. I felt a bit like a stripper, but it got the job done.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:04 PM
You guys swear this isn't some kind of sick joke? I really want to try this, but I'm terrified this is just a cruel joke that will ruin my shiny new boots? Does someone have a photo of them soaking their boots so I can believe?

KateKat
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:27 PM
Its true about the rubbing alcohol and water, that was recommended to me to stretch out a pair of heels.

And I don't think this is a joke...haven't you seen the threads about people doing this to their saddles? :)

Pally
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:13 PM
you absolutely do NOT need to wear britches and socks in the tub. that is ridiculous.
I've done it a couple times, works like a charm. I wore just my tall boot in the tub. I felt a bit like a stripper, but it got the job done.

Yes but, since I had to wear them until they dried, I sure wanted to be wearing something. As if spending a day doing housework in tall boots wasn't strange enough...just imagine if I wasn't wearing any pants. :winkgrin:

Raaben
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:05 PM
Yes but, since I had to wear them until they dried, I sure wanted to be wearing something. As if spending a day doing housework in tall boots wasn't strange enough...just imagine if I wasn't wearing any pants. :winkgrin:

Ditto on not wanting to be nakie lol. I was just told to use old schooling breeches and summer socks(dry faster).

For anyone who uses this method do you wear breeches or not and do you kneel or sit in the tub?

klmck63
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:24 PM
Yikes. I would *never* use alcohol on fine leather.

They sell an alcohol based spray (with a lot of other added chemicals, I'm sure) in tack shops advertised specifically as 'boot stretch' spray.

You spray it on the inside of the boot. Tack shop recommended it, I used it on my Monacos, and it worked great!

Lent it to a friend to use on her boots and she had no problems with it, either. To me, anyways, it was no less shocking than the idea of using ammonia to strip waxy leather, or jumping in the tub with my brand new boots. :lol:

mypaintwattie
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:54 AM
Ditto on not wanting to be nakie lol. I was just told to use old schooling breeches and summer socks(dry faster).

For anyone who uses this method do you wear breeches or not and do you kneel or sit in the tub?

After finding a steal of a deal on a new pair of Ariat Crowne Pro's on ebay, I knew I needed to break them in properly, so I searched the past threads, read them all, said a quick prayer, and started running the water... I wore shorts and thicker boot socks, got the shaft of the boot soaked in lukewarm water, and wore them around the house all day. It took most of the day for them to dry, but it was worth it! Had to soak twice to stretch one calf enough but now they look like a custom pair!

desertmyst
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
Ok,
I did this to my nice Ariat boots...
Filled up a bucket with hot water, stuck my boots in them upside down until the ankle area was covered....this way the foot bed DOES NOT get wet i.e. the wet foot yuck...let them soak for awhile.

Put on my breeches and socks, then saran wrapped my legs upto my knees and put the boots on. I wore those boots all day long and rode in them and went to the store in them (lol). I had to put some paper towels behind my knee because the black bled a little.

After they were almost dry and i couldn't stand wearing them any more I stuffed them with old newspaper tight so they would finish drying the proper shape.

Now I keep them stuffed and every time i've went to put them on they have been PERFECT!

Raaben
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:51 AM
After finding a steal of a deal on a new pair of Ariat Crowne Pro's on ebay, I knew I needed to break them in properly, so I searched the past threads, read them all, said a quick prayer, and started running the water... I wore shorts and thicker boot socks, got the shaft of the boot soaked in lukewarm water, and wore them around the house all day. It took most of the day for them to dry, but it was worth it! Had to soak twice to stretch one calf enough but now they look like a custom pair!

I never thought about wearing shorts haha:)