PDA

View Full Version : Express Eventing: now aimed at Young Riders

JER
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:17 PM
Horse & Hound: Express Eventing turns to young riders after Barbury Clash (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/293322.html)

"We had so many issues with the date clash that we can't go for the premier riders," said Mr Hetherington. "Instead we'll put on a 'youth academy' Express Eventing, giving younger riders the chance to win a big prize."

Between 12 and 15 young riders will be invited to take part in the event on 11 July, which forms part of a new "Festival of the Horse" — replacing the Royal Show at Stoneleigh.

Though Mr Hetherington could not confirm the prize-money, he said first prize is likely to be over £50,000 and "substantial enough to buy a top-class horse".

Never mind that the competition itself has proven to be a good venue in which to fatally injure a top-class horse.

:no:

Eventer13
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:21 PM
As much as I'd love to get eventing out "to the public" I really don't like EE and what it does for the sport. Did ANY of the riders who competed last time have something good to say about it? And would any of rider, having seen how the last one turned out, still enter a horse if there wasn't any prize money??

I think its just playing out on greed.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 1, 2010, 03:15 PM
Its scary enough when pros ride those courses, I cant imagine what a 14 year old kid looks like....

I hate what EE (or indoor eventing) does for the sport.

LLDM
Jan. 1, 2010, 03:50 PM
Oh Boy! Just when I thought it couldn't get any more idiotic, they go and prove me wrong.

Dangling big money in front of young riders who may not have the experience to know how dangerous to themselves and their horses this can be. Nor a hide thick enough to walk away - even in the middle - if things are deteriorating. That's pretty common.

SCFarm

nomeolvides
Jan. 2, 2010, 06:39 AM
Its scary enough when pros ride those courses, I cant imagine what a 14 year old kid looks like...
Don't worry, as it is by invitation I'm sure there won't be anyone that young, it will more likely be the 18+yr olds, and our Young Riders are superb.

It all sounds badly planned... not sure they'll get much of an audience. So much for a "showcase" of eventing ;)
I want to know what format changes will be! I await with interest, though not necessarily excitement...

caevent
Jan. 2, 2010, 09:53 AM
Is it just a coincidence that all the pro riders are too busy to ride in the event? Or are they choosing to back out so they don't have to put their horses through such a circus. Hmmmm, just a thought.;)

mugsgame
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:11 PM
I personally think it will be a good showcase for the Young Riders to get better known and show their ability. The course will probably be similar to that at the British Open where they have successfully run arena eventing for several years over a 2* standard course. The difference is they will have a dressage test to start.

Barbury is often a final trial for the juniors and young riders so will be interesting to see who goes but £50k could be a life changing sum of money for one of them to win. This is part of a big festival of the horse event so is just one of the many events at the festival.

Express Eventing was a great concept and I think with a few big tweaks it could work. Eventing is a minority sport and I support anything that gets it better recognised.