View Full Version : My $1000 horse, two years later.

Dec. 31, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hello everyone:)
I just wanted to post I guess you could call it a brag, or something that I just wanted to share with everyone.
Two years ago, I bought my horse, Jester, from a race trainer in Elkton, who just wanted to empty out his barn. Jester had been on the track until he was 7, and I was able to get to him when he was 8. He was thin, rainrot EVERYWHERE, a club foot, and some major chiropractical and mental flaws.

Secretariat's grandson, winning $133,000 on the track, this little thoroughbred came into my life for only $1000. We were very skeptical in whether or not to buy him, as I had high aspirations, and Jester's club foot was a concern. We were able to vet him out at my barn, so I was able to have both my vet and farrier have an analysis of him, to see if he was going to be alright.

It was then when my trainer came up to me, and told me that if I didn't want to take the chance with him, that she wanted him. Later, when I showed him to my farrier who told me that if I didn't want him, that he did(so my trainer and him argued about who got first dibbs :lol: ) I then knew, that if these two well educated people wanted my horse, that he was going to be mine, and that I was willing to give him a second chance.

So this day two years ago was when this all went down. Here Jester is today, and I don't know where I would be without him.

Heres some before and afters
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs143.snc3/17070_1174377963097_1337490139_30426754_7766700_n. jpg
(the girl in the pink isn't me, just a girl at my barn that I asked to hold him)

Dec. 31, 2009, 09:38 PM
Good for you -- Congratulations!! One of our best horses, who took Megan from Novice to Preliminary, had a club foot and we never had an issue with it (we did actively manage the farrier work!).

Zu Zu
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:40 PM
WOW ! You have done a gret job on your $1,000.00 horse - he looks like a million bucks now ! Thanks for sharing your photos ! Happy New Year to you and your handsome boy !

Dec. 31, 2009, 09:49 PM
It seems like it was yesterday that you got him-- I am so happy to see you guys developing a lovely partnership!

Jan. 1, 2010, 10:13 AM
I cried watching the video! He looks so happy and it's very obvious how much he is loved. What a lucky boy! Congrats on your diamond in the rough and best wishes for your future together.

Jan. 1, 2010, 10:54 AM
He looks great! Very well done. :)

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:03 AM
Awesome, awesome video! I make no secret about my passion for the OTTBs and your Jester is exhibit A! Congratulations and continued success!

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
Lucky horse. :D

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:22 AM
A wonderful success story that CAN be repeated all over, if only people will educate themselves to see past the minor issues. You cannot buy perfect horses, they do not exist - how refreshing and great you and your people saw past his issues and went on to make him a great one! Congrats and have a great 2010!!!

Jan. 1, 2010, 12:53 PM
very nice!

Jan. 1, 2010, 02:44 PM
Super story! congrats and have a great 2010

Jan. 1, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thank you everyone. He really means the world to me. I cannot believe how far he has come in the past two years.

Jan. 1, 2010, 08:09 PM
Oh and retread, if you and Rugby go out Training at all this year, maybe Jester and I will see you there..he is moving up, and I'm a "senior" now..:lol::cool:

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:09 PM
Great video!!! You have done a wonderful job. Best of luck in 2010 and beyond!!!

Jan. 2, 2010, 12:02 AM
thanks for posting this and congratulations on all the things you are doing with jester! this is very inspiring since i just bought an ottb in the same condition and age! have a great 2010!

Jan. 2, 2010, 12:32 AM
He's lovely and you have so much to be proud of! Beautiful!

Jan. 2, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thank you everyone. He really means the world to me. I cannot believe how far he has come in the past two years.

Well we hope to be trying Prelim, but I am sure we will still be training level at a few...not sure how many I can afford as I have two others that have to go out this year at BN, N, and T too....so I am sure I will be ROOTING for you if not competing against you, girl! :)

Bank of Dad
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:35 PM
Made me cry. Congradulations to both of you. A dream come true.

Jan. 2, 2010, 12:38 PM
great soundtrack too :D

Jan. 2, 2010, 07:53 PM
Thank you everyone. Your words really mean the world to me. :)

Retread-I was hoping you would say that! congrats on the hopeful move up! I hope to at least see you at some events this year!:yes:

skip- Good luck with your OTTB..I'm sure it will turn out as good as mine has:)