PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning brushes?

Tecktonik
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:57 PM
How do you get your dandy/soft brushes clean? Do you just rinse them off with water? Warm water and liquid soap? Or do you use rubbing alcohol to sanitize?

Thanks!

cooljenn77
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:10 PM
we soak ours in hot soapy water, use a mild soap. then rise them good. and air dry.

who22
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:49 PM
Where I work, this is an every Sunday thing to do. We fill a wheelbarrow with hot water, a little Palmolive, a little Betadine, and a little bleach. Throw all the brushes in so the bristles are in the water, let em soak all day (start this in the morning). Then before we go home we dump em, rinse em (scrape all the really dirty ones with another brush) and leave them bristle side down overnight (grooming mitts are propped open with mane combs to dry inside). Monday morning we flip all the brushes over to continue drying if they aren't completely dry already. Voila! Clean, sanitized brushes!

jewll27
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:21 PM
I heard somewhere along the road that you can put them in the dishwasher?

horsepoor
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:21 PM
In good weather, I'll do them in a bucket of soapy water (betadine if really trying to disinfect). But I also have started throwing a few in when I do a load of rags in the washing machine. I have a front loader, so they make a bit of noise, but come out really clean, and it is kind of a regular thing now (just don't tell my SO!).

fourmares
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:54 PM
Swish in a bucket of warm soapy water, rub against the curry comb a few times. Rinse well. Set to dry bristles down.

sweetpea
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hot sudsy ivory -- rinse rinse rinse,
then I put them facing into a powerful fan. Sometimes I use conditioner on them!

KnKShowmom
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
Hot water and Nolvasan

If they are really muddy, I will prewash in Murphy's Oil Soap

Personal Champ
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:14 AM
Denture cleaner tabs. The fizz lifts the peskiest dirt, and they are germ free when finished. I just put 2 tabs in a 5 gal bucket with hot water, let them soak for a half hour, remove, blast with a hose and let them dry.

Comfortably Numb
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:40 AM
I am a big fan of the dishwasher method. A couple years ago I bought some sort of brush cleaning product at a show, and it fizzed like crazy, worked really well, but I never saw that product again. Wonder if it was denture tabs crushed and repackaged.

pippa553
Jan. 1, 2010, 03:22 PM
I am a big fan of the dishwasher method. A couple years ago I bought some sort of brush cleaning product at a show, and it fizzed like crazy, worked really well, but I never saw that product again. Wonder if it was denture tabs crushed and repackaged.

I saw those last time I was at the tack store, they looked interesting but couldn't justify the price. I use oxiclean or the novelson (sp?) method with hot water.

kellyb
Jan. 1, 2010, 05:52 PM

This? http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=3736

And you're probably right :lol:

HowDoILook
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
Will doing this ruin the horse-hair soft brushes? or will they be fine?

dogchushu
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:31 PM
I throw mine in the laundry machine and wash in hot water with a touch of bleach and regular laundry soap. Doesn't work well with a front loader (brushes just bang and bounce around), but it seems to do the trick in a top loader. Both synthetic and natural fiber brushes come through just fine.