PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Thoroughbreds!

tcgelec
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:30 PM
Jan 1 being the "official" birthday of all thoroughbreds, may I wish all the Thoroughbreds a Happy Birthday as well as a Happy New Year!

Especially my latest "project", my very first mare, my very first OTTB, my very first training project, Lola.

After a very rocky beginning 2 1/2 years ago, this mare has captured my heart in a way I never thought possible.

I love you, Lola. This is going to be a great year. Hopefully at our first jumper shows...

SOTB
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:37 PM
I was just thinking this morning that my TB is 19 y.o. now!

Happy Birthday to Lola! Glad to hear your project is coming along :winkgrin:

Codybug
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:59 PM
My OTTB mare will be 4!! I got her this past summer, she is such a sweet heart! And she is very kind and understanding for a first time TB owner, let alone a first time OTTB owner!

Lone
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:15 PM
My OTTB will be 6 this spring- she's turning into a real grown up now!

tenacity
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:21 PM
Happy Birthday Thoroughbreds!!!!

I am crazy about my TB mare!! Also hoping to have a great 2010 in the jumper ring! I can't believe she will be 8 now!

mojo7777
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:32 PM
Happy Birthday, TBs! My ottb boy, Mojo, will be eight this year. I'm so proud of how smart he is and how quickly he learns. He is a rascal that opens gates and doors, plays with the dogs and cats and connects socially with everyone. We also took a little time, six months or so, to fully understand one another, but we now click better than any horse I've ever ridden. I guess I've never had one this smart!

tarheelmd07
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:35 PM
Happy Birthday to all the wonderful TBs :)

Huey is turning 22 - and looks half his age. He's had a big year as a 21yo - his first george morris clinic, his first rated jumper show, his first champion ribbon, and his first checks since he came off the track :lol:

Surf Guitar is turning 16, and will be celebrating his birthday by going to his first rated hunter show on the 2nd :)

Big_Grey_hunter
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:14 PM
Happy B-day thoroughbreds!

Yesterday my trainer said Ben was having a 4-year old moment. I pointed out it was okay, it was his last chance! As of tomorrow, he has to have 5 year old days!

Rockfish
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:29 PM
yeah! My Rocky is 23! and still raising hell!

c.harrison1
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:14 PM
oh yes! Happy Birthday :) Mine is 20 this year!

danceronice
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
Mine turns 8! His first birthday as a retired racehorse.

Blackberry Farm
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:36 PM
My OTTB is 11 tomorrow 8-) and such a blessing. This gal came into my life after I had to put my WB mare down last fall. Building this relationship really got me through the grief. :) We're doing jmprs this season too ;) GREAT THREAD! Happy New Year!!

rideforthelaurels16
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:43 PM
Yay! Dante's niiiiine now, what a big boy.

ponyxjd
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:42 AM
Mine will be six. She's a big kid now. :)

callmegold
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:26 AM
My boy is nine =) and it works for him because his "real" birthday is January 2nd.

Marcella
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:40 AM
My baby Riley is 20!

20 going on 3....

Void
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:42 AM
My Bay-be is 11 now. I wonder if he'll find his big boy pants, he's refused to grow up these last several years. har har.

ljc
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:53 AM
Let's see, Redford will be 27 in just over one hour.

Benjamin will be 22.

Oberon (well, he's half TB) will be 10.

And my minis turn three!!! (in mini world, 1/1 is their birthdays, as well).

Happy New Year to all.:)

billiebob
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:55 AM
My Bobby is unofficially 7 now (real birthday March 7). I guess that means no more 6 year old moments!

Happy birthday to all!

2hsmommy
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:54 AM
Da Bear is 19 this year :) Happy birthday to all TBs :)

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:00 AM
When my old ottb mare aged into her 20s, she insisted that the vet use her real birthday, since she was a late foal (May 12th), instead of Jan 1st. Vanity thy name is TB mare.

But Happy Birthday to those who prefer the official birth date.

Not So Practical Horse(WO)man
Jan. 1, 2010, 11:05 AM
Happy 12th Birthday Zoe! Love you :)

Surly Sue
Jan. 1, 2010, 11:09 AM
To the best, bravest, coolest horse ever. Happy 28th! Love you! Wish I could turn back the clock and make you 4 again!

lalahartma1
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:27 PM
Happy 13th Birthday, Nashua Miss Dancer, aka LadyBird!

Happy Birthday to all the TBS!

Beethoven
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:37 PM
Noah is 19 and Nala is 10!:eek:

I like to go by their real b-days as they are getting older!

tcgelec
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for sharing about your Thoroughbreds.

I cried the day after I brought Lola home. Yep, right into her mane. And I'm a grown man. That was right after the meds wore off and she was three legged lame with a racing injury. I had no business buying an OTTB at an auction, none. I was crying because I just could NOT deal with yet another injured horse. I COULDN'T!

Anyway, time, love and patience (and some work) made her better. I guess I WAS able to deal with it, a day at a time, anyway...I now have a mare who might well end up being a once-in-a-lifetime. I love all of my horses, but...Lola is special. She has my heart. However things end up.

TKR
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:33 PM
My senior stallion, Master Huntsman, is officially 30 today! He's been with me since he was a weanling. His son, Murray's Law, also a stallion is 21 today and the rest of the "herd" varies.
PennyG

jewll27
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:02 PM
my goober Russia turns 10 this year! Its gonna be a good one, I can feel it in my bones :)

crazy gray horse
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:30 PM
My very special James turns 10 - he's my crazy gray horse :lol::lol:, alas he's matured and is crazy no more ;).

Conrad turns 8!!

and my 2 new FL Finest:

Chequer Cat turns 7 and Red Tail's Wish turns 4

And even though they're not TBs, their birthdays are unknown so today is it - Colby is 11 and pony Cocoa is 24.

Happy Birthday TB's everywhere!!!!

shea'smom
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:36 PM
I was thinking about that this morning.
I have two turning 30 this year, two turning 27, two going to be 22. And one will be 2!

Woodsperson
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:44 PM
Happy Birthday to the racing quarterhorses too. Mine is 22.

Vesper Sparrow
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:45 PM
Andy's turning 26 but she's been having some flashbacks to her youth lately.

Bird will be officially an adult at 5. He's an old soul, as they say.

Mukluk
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:42 PM
Angel is officially SIX but I celebrate her real birthday which is May 4th. She has been wonderful and I am looking forward to many happy years with my girl! Happy Birthday to all the TBs and thanks to everyone who takes care of them!!!

jrzeqrider
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
Teddie is 18! Although we celebrate his real bday in April. We make carrot cake to celebrate, he prefers just the carrots though.

Dressage.For.Life.
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:01 PM
My OTTB's real birthday isn't until April 6th, but he'll be 10 this year-- Hard to believe!

supershorty628
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:45 PM
Nikki is 14 now, although she's quite sure that she is about 7.

lauriep
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:49 PM
Actually, since the USEF uses this for show purposes, too, the WBs are all celebrating a B-day, too.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 2, 2010, 03:04 PM
Actually, since the USEF uses this for show purposes, too, the WBs are all celebrating a B-day, too.

This WB is waiting till Feb 2nd. No point in hurrying.:lol:

delznnord
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
oh i forgot about this! happy birthday indeed to all the wonderful TBs out there!

my guy will be 18 this year, although he thinks he is still 2! he is the reason i fell in love with this breed.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 2, 2010, 08:37 PM
Da Bear is 19 this year :) Happy birthday to all TBs :)

Da Bear is 19?! Wow!

Rudy is 7 this year, and I'm hoping this will be the year that we Accomplish Things. OP, I know exactly what you mean about drying into the mane, because Rudy had THREE surgeries after a trailer accident. The accident was in May 2008 and he finally came off stall rest in March of 2009. The first time I turned him out in the big field and watched him gallop around in glee, I just about bawled my head off.

Last year (once he got off stall rest and got some fitness back) we did flatwork and some baby jumps. The highlight was jumping around a course of crossrails in November. This year, the goal is to be reliably jumping around the 2'6" division by the end of the year.

Jersey Fresh
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:58 PM
So do you count the Jan 1st bday or their real bday if you are dealing with a never-raced/not registered with the JC TB?

If its Jan 1st, Happy 5th Birthday to my greenie, High Tide.

lintesia
Jan. 2, 2010, 11:36 PM
Poet is now 21 and enjoying retirement. He still gallops and bucks and demonstrates perfect lead changes, all with a gimpy right hind leg. He was my first horse and is oh so special!

Simbalism
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:02 AM
My girl is 15yo. Made me kind of sad also, made me think I need to think about finding another to be bringing along . My mare is so been there/done that, so it may take me awhile to get another to her level...hehe.

lizathenag
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:09 AM
15 is just getting warmed up!

I just realized my boy just turned 14 (and is starting to settle down).

Simbalism
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:19 AM
hehe Lizthenag. I am sure my girl will have some good years left, but I am soon to be 56. When my mare is ready to be retired, I want another been there done that horse to step into her shoes.

Nilla Wafer
Jan. 6, 2010, 12:54 AM
Deuce is now a big six!!! :)