PDA

View Full Version : Linda Allen as clinician?

Hilary
Dec. 31, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm an eventer but always open to new ideas - Linda Allen is coming to a nearby barn in March -

I'm brave, game and know my quirky horse well (as in when to push, when to say "not today"), but I really don't know much about her other than what she writes for the Chronicle and her 101 exercises book .

I don't mind tough/blunt (Anne Kursinski - get it right the first time) but appreciate the occasional "at least you tried".

They are requesting whether you are hunter/jumper/eq oriented so I figured jumpers is the closest to eventing.

Any thoughts would be welcome
Thanks!

Lucassb
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:01 PM
Linda is *fantastic* as a clinician - GO if you have a chance!!

She is demanding but never in a negative way; in fact, I'd say she is quite encouraging. I vividly remember doing a clinic with her on my then-new-to-me young/green horse... somehow we got stuck in the height group a step above where I'd signed up to be and I was a bit nervous as the jumps went up. Anyway, I had a fairly big miss to a fairly good sized oxer and got a bit left. I was absolutely mortified but Linda just observed that "they only leave long like that if you've given them good rides most of the time," and "well, you'll certainly never have to worry about running out of scope," which made everyone laugh - plus, it was true and it made me feel quite a bit better!!

You will have a blast. Enjoy.

GallopGirl
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:41 PM
Linda's fantastic! I think if you clinic with her, you won't regret it. She was just at our barn a few weeks ago. I loved her. She is a great horsewoman and makes things that seem very hard into pieces that are simple. We worked a lot on track and lines. She had this course built that I would have sworn I never could have gotten around. Crazy turns, weird angles, etc. She explained how she would ride things and why. She was very tough on us, but would compliment where appropriate. Not an ego stroker, but you come out of the clinic feeling like you learned something and like you can go out and take on the gnarly course next time. If you have the chance, do it!

RumoursFollow
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:09 PM
Linda is a great clinician and a really lovely person. I have done 2 multi-day clinics and have really been happy with them. She is very particular about track. I learned a lot from her and I hope I have another opportunity to work with her again.

Absolutely, GO!

(pay close attention to her bag.. if it moves, theres probably a papillon in there! ;) )

Hilary
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:52 AM
Thank you! Now I have to motivate to be fit enough! I don't have an indoor so we mostly hack in the winter but this will be a nice goal to have and a good start to the season. I love tricky lines and skinnies etc - plenty to learn without pounding their legs with height.

snaffle635
Jan. 1, 2010, 02:26 PM
Definitely go!

I've cliniced with Linda quite a bit (four or five times, I think). She is very fair and, as GallopGirl said, not an ego stroker. I've learned a ton from her. She says things in such a simple way that really resonate with me. To get the most from the clinic, definitely take notes after you ride.

Yes, she sets up these CRAZY courses that you think you could never do...and she gets you to do them. She pushes, but not too hard.

She does not like it if you give up in the middle of an exercise and want to start over. If you mess up in the beginning, keep going until the end!

Have a great time...and be sure to report back!

pony grandma
Jan. 1, 2010, 02:36 PM
She is very good at quietly drumming in the solid basics. Pace, lines, balance. Very clear instruction and her exercises really teach. Use your time to watch everyone else ride too!! Hand your horse off to a good friend and stay focused on the clinic.

Say hi to Willow too. I'm a fellow happy Pappy owner. :D

sptraining
Jan. 1, 2010, 04:38 PM
She's amazing. I've ridden and audited different clinics but I absolutely love her style. I love how she uses courses and exercises to teach horses and riders how to think.

Agree with the others...go ride with her! She's not intimidating at all and seems to really enjoy her job. Have fun!

Vandy
Jan. 1, 2010, 04:55 PM
I don't mind tough/blunt (Anne Kursinski - get it right the first time) but appreciate the occasional "at least you tried".
Funny, I once rode in an Anne Kursinski clinic within a week or so of auditing a Linda Allen clinic because I couldn't afford to ride in both. Afterward, I wished that I'd ridden with Linda and audited Anne instead, mostly because of how much more positive the interaction was between Linda and the participants. Sounds like you're already decided to do it, but wanted to add another very positive review.

Hilary
Jan. 1, 2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, Anne was pretty tough - a few people really didn't like her. I did learn a few things, though.

Good to know about not stopping in the middle for a do-over - I find when I compete I always manage to pull off whatever the course asks, even when it's not perfect, but schooling? I chicken out and want to try again - I don't muster whatever it is I have when I compete.

I am glad I asked - and since no one has anything bad to say, that's a good sign - over on the event board there are a few names that cause some good fireworks when people ask about them!

I'll have to get her book out and brush up.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Jan. 3, 2010, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking of going as well and I'm glad to hear of all the good reviews you have for her...thanks COTHer's!

two sticks
Jan. 3, 2010, 04:12 PM
I have been to two Linda Allen clinics, one to ride in and one to shoot. Both were great and very educational. She really helped me with the horse I was riding at the time. She is very good at explaining things in ways that really make sense. Like everyone else said, prepare to work on track, turns, and also lots of work with ground poles.

Definitely go if you get the chance!