PDA

View Full Version : Long List? What is it exactly?

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Dec. 31, 2009, 05:07 PM
I recently saw a friend on facebook had updated her status to say that she was "long listed". I was told that previously you were placed on the long list if completed a long format CCI**.

However, since the long format CCI** no longer exists, I was wondering how one qualifies for this list. I would have guessed that perhaps you had to complete a few CIC** or something along those lines but the rider in question has not...

I am finding it difficult to find any of this info on the USEA or USEF websites so I thought I would try asking here!

deltawave
Dec. 31, 2009, 05:16 PM
That is a very old-fashioned term, I think, and no longer really accurate/relevant. Now we have "developing rider" lists, etc. and I'm not sure exactly what the qualifications are.

But I know my trainer just got put on it. :D

Dec. 31, 2009, 06:08 PM
There is no such thing as a "long-list" anymore. There is a "developing riders" list, the A&B Training Lists, and prior to championships like the Olympics, WEG, and Pan Am's people are chosen from the A&B Lists to form a "short-list."

subk
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:10 PM
I would be very surprised if there was no longer a Long List.

Yes, it is correct that it used to be something that happened to a horse/rider pair after completing a CCI**. But the specific point of the list and the significance of making it after a successful 2 star, was to identify those who in the next calendar year could become technically qualified for a Games. (Keep in mind that the Pan Ams is a ***)

Also know that the LL more than anything is a mailing list (email list now?) that is used to keep all potentially qualifiable riders aware of issues at the international levels. It also kept them abreast of the current procedures in place for consideration on the next Team.

The List is a matter of fairness to all technically qualified riders (the USET has been sued in the past over selection procedures so fairness is certainly an issue!) and to prevent having to constantly update the list through the course of the year, it makes sense to create the list from those that at the end of the year could become technically qualified in the next calendar year to be selected.

I don't believe it was ever a published list for general consumption, but I do think the selectors receive a copy of it--and the mail department of the USET certainly got a copy. The other interesting thing was that at one time the foundation (can't think of the name) that as a rider you can set yourself up in to raise tax deductible donations used the long list as the qualification for a rider to be eligible to use them as an umbrella.

What is the current status of the Long List I don't pretend to know. Certainly more riders complete a CIC** then a CCI** so it would probably a bigger/longer list if that's the bar. I also don't keep track of current upper level qualification requirements, but for the reasons above (especially the fairness aspect) I would be very surprised if the list didn't come into play at whatever point a horse/rider could technically become qualified for a Games in the next calendar year. And regardless, I suspect that when you're ready to run Advanced it's time to be put into the loop so to speak.

snoopy
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:30 PM
The "long list", as many of remember it, is a bit antiquated now. The long list represented a time when there were very few combinations competing at the 3 and 4 star level...and a completion with a qualifying score alerted team selectors of promising combinations for future. Although the USA is not flush with top combinations, it does however have more
3 and 4 star combinations to use as a long list/developing riders list. The bar has been raised... a promising horse at two star level does not a team combination make. There are many 3 star combinations that do not stand a chance at WEG/OG level. It makes sense now to focus on those who have shown consistant form at the highest levels before the USEF shells out money for further development. This fall, some seriously good combinations did not do as well as hoped on the euopean "tour" of 3 and 4 star events and these combinations are either currently or have been past members of the A and B squads... Sadly this makes it harder for those two star combinations to get a "look in" until they get to consistant placings at 3 and 4 star level....and on their own dime.

S A McKee
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:34 PM
I would be very surprised if there was no longer a Long List.

The List is a matter of fairness to all technically qualified riders (the USET has been sued in the past over selection procedures so fairness is certainly an issue!) and to prevent having to constantly update the list through the course of the year, it makes sense to create the list from those that at the end of the year could become technically qualified in the next calendar year to be selected.

What is the current status of the Long List I don't pretend to know. Certainly more riders complete a CIC** then a CCI** so it would probably a bigger/longer list if that's the bar. I also don't keep track of current upper level qualification requirements, but for the reasons above (especially the fairness aspect) I would be very surprised if the list didn't come into play at whatever point a horse/rider could technically become qualified for a Games in the next calendar year. And regardless, I suspect that when you're ready to run Advanced it's time to be put into the loop so to speak.

For some time now USEF has published detailed specs complete with applications for the Developing rider list and a separate set of specs and applications for the next upcoming major International event.
http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/breedsdisciplines/discipline/alleventing/hpeventing.aspx
This is true for all International disciplines.

Here are the qualifications for the developing rider list:
The Developing Rider program is available to riders of any age who aspire to compete at the highest levels of the sport. If you are applying, each horse/rider combination must have completed a CCI2*. If you are identified through the talent spotter program, you may or may not have completed a CCI2*.
"Precedence is given to riders without prior team experience".

Nothing on those instructions about a "Long List" so not sure how it could come into play for any selection process.
However, the email notifications are addressed to "Eventing Long Listed Riders".

The qualifications for Weg, for example, are very detailed as to what events count for the selection process ( 3/4 star events). Because of the very different requirements it seems possible to be on the developing rider list for years and never compete at a level sufficient to qualify for Weg, Olympics etc.

NeverTime
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:53 PM
Developing Riders -- you either apply or, beginning last year, could be nominated by a "talent spotter" (mostly riders who are current & former Team fixtures -- Amy Tryon, Kim Severson, etc.) Not sure exactly how many people apply, but the final named list of 15 or so basically means all those folks can attend a clinic or clinics w/a Developing Riders coach. Unless you travel all over the place, that's typically one or two clinics in a year. But being named to the list is prestigious and is a feather in your cap you can put on your resume for potential sponsors. Beyond that though, it doesn't mean much. Many people in the Developing Riders program never make it onto the A/B list and some folks who start having strong performances seemingly out of nowhere can vault right past the DR list to the A/B squad.

I'm not sure if there's really a long-list or not, but as subk said, all of us who have completed a two-star get regular e-mails that start out: "Dear long listed riders..." and usually have some application form attached to be considered for some team that's two years off. There's no application process involved in getting on that e-mail list, it just happens once you've met certain competitive criteria. there's also no expectation that you WILL fill the paperwork out, etc.

Threeday33
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:59 AM
I got a call that I am on the long list and they wanted to update my contact info and make sure I was willing to receive emails. I asked how I was on the long list and they said you just have to have completed an advanced competition in the current year. I haven't completed a CCI** because my horse got hurt last fall and I didn't run at Fair Hill this past fall. So, I guess you have to go advanced now to make the long list.

DQ Eventer
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure that is correct as I know someone who completed 3 Intermediates and is "long listed." She had a very successful year at Prelim and a frustrating year at Intermediate, but certainly shows a TON of potential for the future with her very talented equine partner. She did not compete at Advanced, nor did she complete a CIC2* or a CCI2*. So, the long list remains a mystery, clear as mud...

deltawave
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:10 AM
Well, apparently what people put on their blogs and what the USEA defines as a rider with potential for the team are two separate things. :)

Threeday33
Jan. 1, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have been successfully competing at the intermediate level for several years and this is is the first year I have started receiving the long-list emails and whatnot. I just moved up to advanced this past season. The girl who I talked to said you have to complete an advanced, but who knows??? I used to think you had to be really successful at advanced, maybe even *** levels and look like you had a true shot at making the short list, so I was very surprised to find out how long the long list really is!

clivers
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:09 PM
Is your friend Canadian? They still use the long list term up here...
for example: http://www.eventingnews.com/stories.php?news=20090127C-2009-Canadian-Eventing-Team-Announced&title=2009%20Canadian%20Eventing%20Team%20Announce d

Gry2Yng
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:05 PM
I have been successfully competing at the intermediate level for several years and this is is the first year I have started receiving the long-list emails and whatnot. I just moved up to advanced this past season. The girl who I talked to said you have to complete an advanced, but who knows??? I used to think you had to be really successful at advanced, maybe even *** levels and look like you had a true shot at making the short list, so I was very surprised to find out how long the long list really is!

Back in 2003, I asked how many people were on the list. The answer was "about 70, sometimes as many as 100". I would guess the number of advanced competitors and the number of CCI** long format completions might be an equivalent number.

WakeRider
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:20 PM
As antiquated as it may be, the "long list" is still around. I received an email to verify my contact information last month

snoopy
Jan. 2, 2010, 08:54 AM
As antiquated as it may be, the "long list" is still around. I received an email to verify my contact information last month

I did not say it was not still around, but rather that its function would have appeared to have changed.