PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for fun in the indoor - Idea #1

slp2
Dec. 31, 2009, 05:51 PM
Over the holidays, my sister's family was visiting and wanted to go see my horses. Of course--none of them are "horsey", and didn't want to ride, and I knew that the males of the group would be bored to tears watching me groom or ride. So I talked them into helping me build a jumping chute in the indoor. This helped my nephew burn off some energy (much needed) as he dragged around poles that weighed as much as him. Then we brought my two horses in. I didn't know how this would go with the 2 of them. My older mare had been through a chute before (last winter), but my 3 year old had definitely never seen one before. Never underestimate the power of a great lead horse! My old, wise, mare knew "what was up" and trotted right through the line (we started with just poles on the ground) and the 3 year old followed her through, like "what are we doing?" After they were both doing that well, we started building the jumps, adding one at a time. Again, my older mare led, with the 3 year old following. At one point, the 3 year old decided *she* was going to lead--so she cantered past and jumped through first (my older mare gave her the stink eye when she did that!) Then we "culled" each of them off and had them go through separately. It was fun and everyone got to participate in some way. Any other ideas for fun things to do in an indoor? Those of us in the North have several more months to spend in there!

deltawave
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:23 PM
Believe it or not, one of the funnest rides I've had this year was playing "solo" horse-soccer with Bonnie and one of those gigantic, squishy green "Parelli" balls that are for horses to play with or for desensitization. She's not scared of them at all, and very quickly figured out that chasing the thing down and having it bounce away (courtesy of the rider whacking it at first, but then Bonnie would sort of body-check it) only to chase it again was fun. :D You can do it just at the walk, but it's a whole lot more fun--and a good workout--to do it at trot/canter. I haven't been able to find anyone to play with one-on-one, but that would be super fun! How 'bout bringing Ella over for a boss-mare soccer tournament? :D

denny
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:23 PM
Fun in the indoor???

First, get three kegs of beer------

retreadeventer
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:25 PM
Then, invite all your neighbors.....even the HUNTER-JUMPER and DRESSAGE ones....:)

allpurpose
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:07 PM
...and put everyone's name in a hat, draw names, and switch horses!...;)

ss3777
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:12 PM
.................set kegs up as a one stride to a two stride............make sure kegs are upright.......

SkipChange
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:24 PM
...and put everyone's name in a hat, draw names, and switch horses!...;)

sign me up! :lol: oh wait, I don't have an indoor...

bip
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:19 AM
.................set kegs up as a one stride to a two stride............make sure kegs are upright.......

If you have a run-out, you have to drink?

ss3777
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:35 AM
If you have a run-out, you have to drink?

Exactly, and you can not switch horses until you are clear ;)

teddygirl
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:55 AM
You should do it bareback. It's even better if you Show Sheen them really well first!

JFS
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
You guys crack me up:) Happy New Year!!

Jackie

allpurpose
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:40 AM
Enter A, working trot sitting.
X Halt, Salute, Drink. Proceed working trot sitting...:lol:

denny
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:39 PM
I see I started a trainwreck! But then, it`s always very easy to lead eventers astray!

allpurpose
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:54 PM
I see I started a trainwreck! But then, it`s always very easy to lead eventers astray!

Well, kegs ARE shiny things, afterall!!! ;)

eponacowgirl
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:33 PM
This thread is possibly the best way to start off 2010!

LAZ
Jan. 1, 2010, 03:40 PM
Fun in the indoor???

First, get three kegs of beer------

You must be planning a small party....

ksbadger
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:05 PM
You must be planning a small party....

Denny's close enough in Vermont to get some real Canadian ale - much stronger than your average American light beer - or, of course, there's always good old Vermont cider!

Blugal
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
Try riding at the same time as someone from a different discipline, and see how well you can do.

I'm riding with a reiner right now, it's pretty fun. There is also a Combined Driver - I am watching her double-lunge and thinking it's time I dusted off that part of my repertoire.

frugalannie
Jan. 2, 2010, 08:15 PM
The really important question is whether numping and finging in the indoor is as beneficial for horse and rider.

Any opinions?

SmallHerd
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:44 PM
Okay, I have a serious suggestion. Teach your horse how to play broom polo! Get a cheap plastic kids' ball at the dollar store, a couple of brooms, and off you go. My QH is fine with it, but my TB wants nothing to do with the ball! And of course, it would be MUCH more fun if the kegs were the goal posts. LOL.