PDA

View Full Version : Another Show Name Thread

Lizrd
Dec. 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
Long time lurker, never poster! Last July I got a 2003 OTTB and since show season is almost upon us I am desperate for a show name! I am turning to you creative folks for help. Here's some of the more interesting info on him.

Barn Name: Atlas - I wanted him to have a strong name that couldn't be made cute with an -ie ending.
Dark Bay, 16.2, 3 white ankles with black spots and a few white hairs on his face
Race name: Wild Moonglow
Birthdate: April 1

He was raced 17 times and it didn't work out. Then he was sold to work on the rodeo circuit in Oklahoma. Needless to say that didn't work out either - this guy ain't a cow pony. He was starved for a year since he wasn't "useful" and then was bought out of the kill pen by a horse trader who "saw something in his eye." I tried him out once in Oklahoma and hauled him to Chicago. Needless to say he is now schooling 2'6" and has auto lead changes. I think he has found his calling! We are palnning on doing the local circuit and small B-rated shows. I'm an adult so I'm not looking for anything too cutsie but tongue in cheek works for me. He has a lot of attitude and is not a snuggly kind of guy whatsoever - I think due to mishandling in his past.

The names I have thought of so far are:
Road Trip (not sure I like the word "trip" in a hunter name!)
On the Road Again
Ain't My First Rodeo
Suburban Cowboy
Oklahoman
Chauffeur

Any and all suggestions are welcome- thank you in advance!

Sing Mia Song
Dec. 31, 2009, 04:18 PM
Personally, I like just Atlas. :) One-word names are cool, and it's a nice, strong name for a stand-alone kinda guy.

ETA: Did you know you can see all the charts of his races here?
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorseInfo.cfm?refno=6842924&registry=T

Lizrd
Dec. 31, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks Sing Mia- he certainly needed a strong name when I got him. The horse dealer was calling him "Biscuit" which just didn't work for me! Poor guy had never had a treat in his 6 years - didn't know what a carrot was let alone the creature comforts of a well-kept horse. That's a cool site with race records - thanks for posting it!

klmck63
Dec. 31, 2009, 04:44 PM
All of my horses have wound up with one-word show names so I give a big thumbs up for both Atlas and Chauffeur.

Lizrd
Dec. 31, 2009, 05:21 PM
klmck63 - thanks. The mare I shareboarded forever has a one word show name and they can be classy if you come up with the right one. Chauffeur works for me since I am a former French teacher - plus I would hope the announcers could pronounce it...

who22
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:38 PM
Since his name is Atlas, I literally thought of that. You could do McNally haha. Or yea, Atlas is a cool show name too! Another thing I thought of was At Last... I think because it goes with his barn name. Again going along with the "Atlas" theme, Navigator, Magellan, etc. I tend to like one word show names too. Good luck!

chemteach
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:49 PM
I like Moonglow or Twilight.

Lizrd
Jan. 2, 2010, 05:41 PM
Who and Chemteach - thanks for the reply. I have never had a horse that needed a show name before. It is a big responsibiliy! :)

Tegan
Jan. 2, 2010, 06:52 PM
I actually really like Atlas. I think show names can get too complicated sometimes.

The first thing I thought of was Atlas Shrugged. That completely depends on if you're an Ayn Rand fan or not though.

snaffle635
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:18 PM
My fave on your list is Chauffeur.

I like Road Trip, but I'm with you on using 'trip' in a hunter name.

Along the road trip lines, how about 'Route 66'? I've always liked that song and route 66 goes through Oklahoma City to Chicago. :-)

A couple of others:

Incognito
Instant Karma
Atlantic

Lizrd
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:25 PM
Tegan - I don't know Atlas Shrugged so I am off to Google!

snaffle - great ones! Route 66 is clever and appropriate and unique.

Thanks everyone. All others warmly welcome!

superpony123
Jan. 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
i really like Atlas!

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 2, 2010, 08:28 PM
I like Moonglow or Twilight.

Oh, please, not Twilight. I love the books, but that name is totally overdone. ;)

Mamy
Jan. 2, 2010, 08:36 PM
Love Route 66 !