PDA

View Full Version : Vermont and New Hampshire...a lease for the summer?

Beau Cheval
Dec. 31, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I applied/briefly interviewed for a WS with a quite well regareded eventing trainer for this summer. Cross your fingers for me that I actually formally get the job, but it seemed to go well, so I'm just waiting to hear. The trainer said that she wanted me to have my own horse for the summer...as a HJer I was pleasantly SHOCKED to hear this, because in the world of HJ WS jobs, the idea of bringing a horse is entirely unfathomable and socially unacceptable:no::lol:. They drill it into your heads that you are not welcome to have a horse...you're there to work dammit! lol.
But while this is a lovely idea, I don't have a horse currently (well, I do have a retired, adorable but finicky, large pony....) and as a H/Jer I don't know that I want a year lease on an eventer, just because when I go home there is no opportunity to train with an eventer or to event.
To compound the complication, I am going on a semester abroad from March up until this job would start, so my ideal time period for trying horses is not available.

So the question: I'm not incorrect in thinking that finding a 3 month lease 3 months prior to the start of the lease is going to be a potentially insurmountable challenge? Do you have any ideas for me? Assuming the job happens, I will further discuss with my employer, but I want to be as prepared as possible and start as early as possible.

--or-- if I was to buy something young (something the trainer mentioned as possible situation) to sell before I went to college could we be eventers for three months and then become equitation, hunter, or jumper stars? I know a girl who has a successful children's hunter who was an eventer before she got him, but I don't know the intricacies of eventing. It seems that a horse would be able to make the transition at least to jumpers or possibly equitation well. Do you experienced eventers see a problem with that?

Thanks!!!

Hilary
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:01 PM
Don't give up hope - horses come up needing a rider all the time- maybe not a "ready to go prelim right now" horse (but you never know), but something you can work with and learn on. Post on the Area 1 site classifieds and see what you get.

cranky
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:11 PM
I would suggest that you post an ad in the "Wanted" section of the Area I (http://www.area1usea.org/) classifieds, you might be surprised at what might be available to you -- especially if you're going to be working with a reputable trainer. A WS at my barn found a free horse this Fall this way, and I believe that she was contacted about numerous horses.

Ray
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:35 PM
you can also advertize for free on www.equimarket.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?website=&language=&session_key= (affiliated with Equinesite.com)

you should not expect a free lease, and should make sure that your parents and the trainer help you with a lease agreement that spells out exactly what you are responsible for and who pays for what in any worse case scenario.

Your best bet is to lease an experienced event horse for the summer. Dont rule out an older horse, these are often great teachers that have been there and done that.

It just seems like a logistical challenge to find the right horse on such short notice to buy that can show you the ropes in eventing and then change over to h/j. A young horse seems like a poor choice for this.....

this is NOT to say that an event horse cant be a great h/j horse, of course they can (I will post on other thread)