PDA

View Full Version : Shoo-flys

tollertwins
Dec. 31, 2009, 01:12 PM
You know those tassel-y things made of horsehair that you can attach to various places on your saddle, bridle, girth, breastcollar, etc?

Do they really work, or just look kinda cool? Might they work on skeeters?

Not that it matters anytime soon... :rolleyes: just shopping to keep myself entertained.

howardh
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
Well, the belly ones really do work on belly flies while trail riding, plus they look cool....

Can't speak for the others. I think the headstall ones are mostly decoration.

goodhors
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:16 PM
I have been looking at the add-on ones sold on Ebay. Thinking of putting them on the throatlatch area, since my horses wear ear-covers for most summer outings. They have fringed faces that do most of the face area.

Nice to hear about the belly ones working. Perhaps a breastcollar could use a couple additions down the center, would be useful AND ornamental.

I have always liked the look, just not done it yet.

tollertwins
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
I've thot about a couple long ones down the flank, too...

goodhors
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:19 PM
I've thot about a couple long ones down the flank, too...

Mine all have very long tails, so that takes care of the flank area, because I DID think the long ones on saddle blankets could be cute and useful. Husband said it would just be overkill, we would look like a LA Showgirl in a tassel suit! Darn killjoy!! Does make a funny mind picture though, dancing down the trail or road. Ha-Ha