PDA

View Full Version : So Which Is A Better Buy ??

Equinoxfox
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:30 AM
So I am going shopping at Dover Saddlery and do not know which one to buy:
Do you guys have a preference :
CW Raised , Tad Coffin , Vespucci , or the Hunter Derby Bridle.
Please give me your thoughts going over the weekend.!!

:confused:

gasrgoose
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:37 AM
I would not buy another vespucci. We've had two, one broke and the other is just over a year old and looks like it is on it's last leg.

I know you didn't list Edgewood, but in the Vespucci price range I really think Edgewood are the best value.

Equinoxfox
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:42 AM
Ok you are the second person that told me that . ;)
Thanks for the warning !!!!

Equinoxfox
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:43 AM
I really , really, like the Edgewood but I really perfer a Wider Noseband. IF I can find that in the Edgewood .
Then YES I am all over that one. :lol:

callmegold
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:01 AM
I really , really, like the Edgewood but I really perfer a Wider Noseband. IF I can find that in the Edgewood .
Then YES I am all over that one. :lol:

They make one with a 1" noseband. I've only ever seen them at full retail price though.

Equinoxfox
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah I just found that out from a friend. She said I can get the Edgewood with a 1" nose band. and with reins . I can expect to spend about $ 500.
Do you agree with that ? :confused:

callmegold
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:24 AM
Well, depending on what you want the bridle for.

If its a show bridle, brand new/ flawless set from smartpak would be $290 to 300 for the headstall and $180 for the reins. so yes, you're looking at roughly $500.

However, after I posted that I went back on ebay because I remember that Edgewood has an outlet on there. I was able to find a headstall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edgewood-1-Plain-raised-Padded-Bridle-FULL-SECOND_W0QQitemZ200422895318QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eaa22aed6#ht_500wt_876

Its full size, and plain raised but, only $175. There's not any matching reins up right now, but they run from $110 to 140 usually. The thing is though, from the outlet they usually have a few marks on them hence why they're discounted. I'd bet that they would oil right out and be unnoticeable. Food for thought.

RomeosGirl
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:25 AM
No reins, but found this online:
http://www.123tack.com/edgewood-1--plain-raised-bridle.html?productid=edgewood-1--plain-raised-bridle&channelid=FROOG

Equinoxfox
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:41 AM
I like those . BUT ,,, I want to get a Wide Noseband. and those Raised Flat ones.
I have found a " Jimmy's 21st century" but it is $ 900 :eek:
YES, this is going to be a Show Bridle. and I need it to last him a very , very long time. :winkgrin:
There is just something about t the Wide, Padded ones that really draw me to them.

Equinoxfox
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hey Callmegold.
I like that one . AND it is 1" wide. :yes:
cool I am going to look into that . awesome thanks !!!

Sibericious
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:22 PM
The Tad Coffin is on closeout for $199 FYI. I have this bridle and it is pretty, but seems as if it was designed more as a show bridle then for everyday abuse.

heartinrye
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:18 AM
I got an Aramas with a wide noseband, and I LOVE it. (My trainer even got one, and she hasn't bought a bridle for herself in years!) They're going out of business, so they're on sale!!!

Comfortably Numb
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:43 AM
Where did you find the Aramas at closeout prices?

Show_hunters
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:03 PM
I have the hunter derby and it looks just like a Jimmy's bridle. In fact I held it up to my Jimmy's bridle and thought that it was a match. The hunter derby is a Very classy bridle and so far it's holding up well.

tBHj
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:09 PM
Vespucci's are not worth the money.

ktm2007
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have the hunter derby and it looks just like a Jimmy's bridle. In fact I held it up to my Jimmy's bridle and thought that it was a match. The hunter derby is a Very classy bridle and so far it's holding up well.

Not to hijak the thread, but do you by chance have a picture of the stitching on this bridle? Dover just has a picture of the bridle from the side, and I am curious what the stitching looks like!

Show_hunters
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:17 PM
Sure no problem. I'll take a photo of it next time I go out to barn.

Talk of the Town
Jan. 2, 2010, 06:40 PM
I LOVE my Edgewood!! It was a little pricey but it is soo beautiful. I have the fancy stitch padded one, so its relatively wide you may want to look into one of those. I got mine about 10 years ago so I'm not sure if they still make that one but I would imagine they would.

ljc
Jan. 3, 2010, 02:25 AM
I just purchased some bridle parts from www.justbridles.com (http://www.justbridles.com) (which I learned about from this forum) and they have some great prices on bridles (including Edgewood). And if you want something not listed, email and they can find it for you (which they did for me).

I've been a huge Edgewood fan for years, as well as the older Jimmy's bridles, so I always vote for those!

Equinoxfox
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
Right now I am going to one of the shows to a tack shop to look at the Jimmy's 21st there. and a Edgewood.
Because my horse has a slightly plain head. I want to get a Fancy stitched and I really like those wider nosebands and raised. :yes:
Now I have realized also i need to increase what i want to spend in order to get the quality and type I want. OH well. it is a investment. Right .???? :lol:

Equinoxfox
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
So tell me also ?
Are most of these bridles I am looking at are they Padded or not? OR is this also a thing of preference.
BOY it really seems that buying on line is NOT the way to go but instead just going to a horse show or tack shop to have more hands on the product to look at and examine. :yes:

BAC
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
So I am going shopping at Dover Saddlery and do not know which one to buy:
Do you guys have a preference :
CW Raised , Tad Coffin , Vespucci , or the Hunter Derby Bridle.
Please give me your thoughts going over the weekend.!!

:confused:

Do you mean CWD? If so I think that is the prettiest and best quality leather of those you mentioned. Dover has a closeout of $299, which is a good deal. I have the same bridle and it is beautiful. Quite a few people have said the TC is not nearly as nice leather as his saddles, and not worth the money. I wouldn't even consider Vespucci, I don't know about the Hunter Derby bridle, haven't seen them other than in the catalog.

While I love my Edgewood, it think the CWD is a better quality product.

Equinoxfox
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:27 PM
yeah going to the next show to see what the tack shops have.
I think I might be better than doing the internet .
I need to see it in person and get the overall appearence.;)

alteringwego
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
Of those mentioned I think that the CWD is the best quality but the Hunter Derby Bridle is the best looking.

Equinoxfox
Jan. 4, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks that is good to know. there is a Dover's by my house I will run in there and take a look at it . ;)

JrHunterRider
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:15 PM
I love Edgewood bridles. Very classy and elegant.

ETA: The Hunter Derby bridle is also very nice in my opinion. I would purchase it if I needed another.