PDA

View Full Version : Good overnight stops on way to FL

scubed
Dec. 31, 2009, 07:09 AM
I am heading down to Florida next week, driving from Baltimore. My plan is to do 3-5 hours Wednesday evening, a long day Thursday, then arrive Ocala anytime Friday (could push for Thursday night, but Friday better logistically). Anyone know of good overnight spots (just me in a small car, but loaded with stuff so safe parking) on that route. If you have favorite inns, etc (or a spare room), I'd love to hear about it. Getting psyched for Florida. My youngster jumped his first ditch (at Rocking Horse) yesterday without me, and was apparently game, but quite amusing. Just entered him in his first event at Ocala 2. Yeah!!

shawneeAcres
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:52 AM
We overnight horses here as we are very close to I-95 and about 1/2 way down, but don't have an "inn" for people!

dixiedolphin
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:53 AM
If it's just you and your car, it probably won't take you that many days to do the drive, honestly. Last time I drove home from the DC area, it only took about 12-13 hours (and my destination was an hour or two south of Rocking Horse). Did it all in one day, but I drive rather hard and fast on the highway.

I can't recommend specific hotels, but if it were me and I was planning on making an overnight stop, I'd probably stop somewhere in the area of Fayetteville, NC, then power through the last 8 hours or so the next day to Altoona--thereby saving on not doing an extra day of travel expense.

And... you should be in luck, the weather looks to turn around after what may be our first freeze of the season next week, and you'll probably get some nice mid-60s high temps by the time you get here. =)

JWB
Dec. 31, 2009, 12:40 PM
I used to make the drive from DC to Tampa, FL in 1 1/2 days... It could be done in a single day but it was long. All in all, it is about 14 hours of driving

I can't recommend specific hotels but my recommendation (from having driven it several times) would be just to leave on Thursday morning (early). It will be about 9 hours to Savannah down I-95.

Then it's another 5 hours TOPS the next day from Savannah to Ocala by taking 95 south to 10 west, to 75 south....

It's really not a 3 day trip unless you want to stop and do some sight seeing along the way.

deltawave
Dec. 31, 2009, 01:11 PM
I have a sister in Charlotte who could put you up if that helps, although it's a little ways off the direct track.

Good luck with Mr. Green Bean from big (well, figuratively speaking) spotted brother! :D

scubed
Jan. 1, 2010, 05:30 PM
So, I have a plan. I need to leave from B'more Wednesday afternoon, because I am working there all day Wednesday, so I will overnight Wednesday in Petersburg, VA at a B&B and then on to Savannah, when I will treat myself to Mansiononthepark.com and then head to Ocala Friday morning. Thanks for the suggestions.

deltawave
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
Say hello to the sunshine for all of us up here, where it will not be out of the teens until next weekend and we're expecting 20 inches of snow by Monday. :sigh: :dead:

skip916
Jan. 1, 2010, 11:26 PM
i got married in forsyth park at the fountain just outside the mansion on the park in savannah. its a lovely place to stay! they also have a fabulous bar!! enjoy savannah and if you have time drive just across the bridge and take a look at SCAD's equestrian center- so beautiful!

scubed
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the tip Skip916. I may have time to do that

FlightCheck
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:33 AM
will you be at the FL Horse Park?

scubed
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:00 AM
Will get there Friday and spend much of Friday at the horse park. Hope to see you there.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Jan. 4, 2010, 06:56 PM
Yahh we just got down on sunday. We don't stop though we just go the full 28 hours from Northern Ontario to here... We had 2 drivers though so no sleep breaks were necessary. The horses travelled well and our trip was great.

I'm not sure where you could stay overnight though lol