PDA

View Full Version : Accident At Charlestown 12/30/09

LockeMeadows
Dec. 31, 2009, 04:17 AM
Can't go into details because of pt privacy, but it sounds like there was a bad wreck at Charlestown last night. Did anyone from here see it happen? I guess a horse broke down and two behind it went down? Very sad evening for all involved.

Rangergirl56m
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:38 AM
I saw it. It was actually really sad. I was standing in my living room watching the race finish & I had just remarked to my husband that I "really liked that grey" and I barely had the words out of my mouth when he tripped, flipped & then was down. His jockey went flying, and then two others tripped over the down horse. From what they were saying was that two horses & 3 jockeys went down(the 3rd horse probably went down & got up again because it did finish the race...riderless). I went to bed before they gave an update on either the horses or the jockeys, although they did say that all 3 jockeys went to the hospital. It was a very sad day, I hate when stuff like that happens :-(

chemteach
Dec. 31, 2009, 03:25 PM
I saw a beautiful chestnut filly (think her name was Peaches and Cream) racing there years ago that broke her leg and was euthanized on the track right in front of everyone. It was awful! I hope the jockeys are okay and the other horses recover.

Sing Mia Song
Dec. 31, 2009, 05:20 PM
It was the 6th race--jockeys were Alcibiades Cortez, Matt McGowan and James Vail. Purrfect Smoke (Vail) broke down and Passion Glory and Couldn't Be Better tripped over her.

Muleskick
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:37 PM
The #4 broke his leg falling and causing the #3 to fall over him breaking his back in the process, the #7 lost his rider avoiding the spill.
Cortez broke his nose, Vail broke his arm, Mcgowan is bruised. Jockey JD Acosta was also injured avoiding the spill when he was kicked by one of the falling horses, and jerked forward in the tack it is reported that he dislocated his sholder, he did manage to stay aboard and finish. Turns out he was uninjured.
Unfortunately these things sometimes happen, thankfully all humans will recover.
On a sad note the infamous state vet strikes again, instead of destroying the #4 on the spot he actually had the maitenece crew repeatedly roll the horse and then he himself kicked dirt on the horse and repeatedly kicked the horse to try to make it rise. Obviously it could not (it lay where it fell and never moved even while ambulance crew walked around it with a strecher to remove rider.) so after 15 or so minutes he put him down. This on top op letting a horse bleed out on the track after breaking its femur and the numerous dangeling limbs he loads onto trailer and sends off the track. The abuse this man causes to these horses is senceless, I can't beleive the ASPCA hasn't come for him.

BabyGoose
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:40 PM
On a sad note the infamous state vet strikes again, instead of destroying the #4 on the spot he actually had the maitenece crew repeatedly roll the horse and then he himself kicked dirt on the horse and repeatedly kicked the horse to try to make it rise. Obviously it could not (it lay where it fell and never moved even while ambulance crew walked around it with a strecher to remove rider.) so after 15 or so minutes he put him down. This on top op letting a horse bleed out on the track after breaking its femur and the numerous dangeling limbs he loads onto trailer and sends off the track. The abuse this man causes to these horses is senceless, I can't beleive the ASPCA hasn't come for him.

What the heck!! I can't believe that this is allowed to go on. I would have a hard time not walking out onto the track and socking him in the face. This makes me so furious!! Is there somewhere to report him?

EightBelles134
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:38 PM
could he be reported to the ASPCA or the AAEP?

Toadie's mom
Jan. 2, 2010, 09:24 PM
Is there somewhere to report him?

Every state has a state veterinary board that takes complaints. I've filed a complaint against one in TX. It didn't do any good, but made me feel better for trying, and I can only hope he's been more careful about his treatment since then. :cry:

farmgirl88
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:20 PM
dont the trainers and workers at this track see this hoopla go down? dont they care? wouldnt someone say something? christ if i was a trainer and that was my horse out there; i would sure as heck have some words to say. if i was a trainer there and one of my horses ended up in a situation like that....wouldnt these trainers care about this idiot dealing with their animals like this??? if i saw him kick my horse, roll it around, and ship it off the track with broken limbs...still alive...i swear that man wouldn't be walking from that track surface...he'd be crawling if he was lucky

FairWeather
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:36 PM
problem is, a trainer doesn't have much clout when it comes to a state employee (ie, the vet). If someone stands up to him, s/he runs the risk of having horses scratched from races. Horses who don't race can't win.

judybigredpony
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:20 AM
Every state has a state veterinary board that takes complaints. I've filed a complaint against one in TX. It didn't do any good, but made me feel better for trying, and I can only hope he's been more careful about his treatment since then. :cry:

BINGO....but having been a material witness in a Benchmark Equine case and having to deal w/ Vet Board of Ethics and State Vet Board investigaters.. I can tell you they do take this seriously but usually onle give hand slap or send a letter of admonishment...BUT if they get constant consitant written complaints with verifiable details, times, dates explicit details ...photos help...they have to investigate and censure.
But it takes alot not a few with accuraccey not hearsay or 2nd hand.
The above described incident would be worthy if enough letters from diffrent eye witness sources was recieved that clearly were not of a vendetta type.

Laurierace
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:50 PM
Don't forget that their last state vet was ran out of town for scratching too many horses.

Muleskick
Jan. 3, 2010, 05:17 PM
Don't forget that their last state vet was ran out of town for scratching too many horses.

Actually she was fired after she walked off the track one day in the middle of a race card. She was a small animal vet that had never worked on horses before and didn't know the difference between crooked legs, bad movers or sore horses she just scratched them all (as many as 18 on one card). There were over 600 complaints filed against her with the racing commision in the couple of years she had the job and they wouldn't fire her. The race track got the chance when she walked off.
There have been numerous complaints filed against this one and as usual the commision does nothing. This guy was fired from the same job 15+ years ago (when the commision let the track have some control) after being fired from the local horse practice for his incompatence, go figure.
This guy also runs a small animal practice with a list of complaints against him.

Alagirl
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:53 AM
Sad when these things happen on the track. We lost a family friend and a horse in a horrific spill that cause 10 horses to be put down many years ago.

Track got lucky, it was the last race and the accident happened in the far turn, heading into the dusk...:(

Lora
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
Sad when these things happen on the track. We lost a family friend and a horse in a horrific spill that cause 10 horses to be put down many years ago.

Track got lucky, it was the last race and the accident happened in the far turn, heading into the dusk...:(

10 horses put down in one race? What county was this in?

DickHertz
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:19 PM

If this happened at Charles Town, it would be till the next morning before they all got put down.

Alagirl
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:49 PM

It was in Germany, about 25 years ago.

The leading horse (ours) got impaled on a gate to the infield that was not all the way closed for some reason.

9 horses fell over her, one Jockey (our friend, a young man you lived to race and rode exercise for us many times) got trampled, another lady broke the pelvis...

My dad said it looked like a bomb went off.

I still have the newspaper article some place, with my dad in the picture sitting by our horse, waiting for the vet to come around.