PDA

View Full Version : Any business in custom jump building?

*JumpIt*
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:01 PM
Hello! (didn't get any hits in OT so thought I'd try cross-posting here)

I am wondering if there is any profit in jump building? As a broke highschooler I am always looking for ways to make a little extra to support my horsie habbit.

I am pretty good at it but it does take effort and time. It takes me at least a week to make one jump (takes a day to put together but the paint takes a while). However it costs about $100 per jump to make and I would have to charge minimum of $150 to make it worthwhile. Is that a common/reasonable price? Would you buy one at that price?

Here is an example of my work, I built this for the UNC IHSA team. Most of my designs are simple (no jigsaw) but well built and should last for a long time.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3121205&l=11eb45bb68&id=510596242

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3121205&l=11eb45bb68&id=510596242

These are some designs I am capable of building (note they will be proportional when built, these are just drafts lol) - http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad319/quailroost/Jump.jpg

I figured I could haul some examples to local shows and set up a booth, of course I would also have a website.

Thank you for being honest, I don't want to pursue this unless it is worth while. :)

monalisa
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:32 AM
There is a guy in Lynchburg that builds jumps. Your jumps like nicer than his.

Just to give you an idea of what he charged in 2008:

$62 for a stone panel
$44 each for flower boxes
$55 for a gate
$30 each for single standard

These were not painted, but the lumber was treated and very good quality.

I think your jumps are lovely. If I had not just bought some, then I would be interested. But also figure that the majority of your customers will likely live within a 100 mile radius. Shipping costs are too high.....

Advertise at the local tack shops. What have you got to lose?

tullio
Dec. 31, 2009, 10:38 AM
My husband has looked into this as a possible activity... after all of our discussions, I would say consider advertising unpainted pieces as well as painted - you could charge a little less but do a higher volume, and some customers will not mind painting their own to save a few dollars.

That UNC fence is PRETTY!

theoldgreymare
Dec. 31, 2009, 01:45 PM
Your jumps are very nice and there certainly is a market for affordable jumps. As the parent of a teen who made a complete course {wing standards, coops, roll tops, brush boxes, gates, etc) I know the amount of work you must put into it. However, if it takes you a week to build one jump and you are only charging $50 over cost it really does not amount to a profit if you factor in your time. Maybe you should focus on a few designs to start that are quick and easy to assemble in order to actually make a profit.

I ditto selling unpainted as well . For the painted jumps, consider using an exterior stain as it will mean that you can leave out the primer step and the buyer will not have to repaint for a few years. Our jumps are about three years old and are done in solid exterior stain (white, red, hunter, gray) and some in semi solid natural stain and none of them need to be repainted yet.

Good luck! It's nice to see young people with incentive.