PDA

View Full Version : Renting a trailer? Long-term?

LovesIt
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out an economical approach to showing this summer (who isn't?).

A friend suggested that to cut down board costs I could keep my horse at a small non-show barn, and rent a trailer to ship in for lessons and to shows. (Which also means I could hit a few sans trainer!)
Does anyone know where in New England I could rent a trailer from?
Costs? I'd be looking for a 2-horse trailer.

* Thought about buying one, but I only show locally now and only in the summers, getting to less than 10 one-days/year, so renting one seems to make more sense.

Ty2003
Dec. 30, 2009, 05:41 PM
Where are you in New England? Assuming you have the right towing setup, including a brake controller, CT Trailers in Bolton, CT rents them, although I'm not sure about long-term. I know they do it by the day.

Lucassb
Dec. 30, 2009, 07:59 PM
You could also just hire a shipper to take you to shows... I am in CT and tons of people just use Pony Express or Barry; I see their trucks all the time.

I ended up buying a truck and trailer a couple of years ago and although I love the convenience, there are times when I envy my friends who just show up in their cars and leave when their classes are done!!

heartinrye
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:40 PM
I was thinking about that, Lucassb, but I'd also like to be trailering a few different places for lessons, and the cost of a shipper for a lesson just seems silly to me!

appdream
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:03 PM
There is a place near me in PA that does rentals. They no longer have the rates on their website, but a few years ago they were $150.00 daily.

It would probably be cheaper to look for a used trailer to purchase. New Year's Day sales are a great place to start.

Lucassb
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:42 PM
I was thinking about that, Lucassb, but I'd also like to be trailering a few different places for lessons, and the cost of a shipper for a lesson just seems silly to me!

Yeah, I hear you. The ability to ship out for lessons or clinics was one of the reasons I bought my rig. Somehow I didn't want to pay a shipper for those outings but making a truck and trailer payment didn't bother me. :lol:

I used it extensively last year and frequently was able to trailer a friend as well, which was both more fun and covered my expenses, too - but that was at a barn where the trainer would often help organize those kinds of arrangements. I moved to a new trainer in the fall and probably won't have that opportunity this year though.

LovesIt
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys!
HIR- I definetley will want to ship to lessons too, so shipper won't work :(

Lucassb- Ya, I would rather own the trailer outright, but the thought of driving it to/from TX where I go to college scares the bejesus outta me! (And my parents!) And, the 'community' where we live in the summer, doesn't even allow pickup trucks let alone parking a trailer there all winter! (And no, I checked the dimensions, a trailer wouldn't fit inside, sadly) I have a place to keep it in TX, its just getting it back and forth that would be the pain!

Lucassb
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys!
HIR- I definetley will want to ship to lessons too, so shipper won't work :(

Lucassb- Ya, I would rather own the trailer outright, but the thought of driving it to/from TX where I go to college scares the bejesus outta me! (And my parents!) And, the 'community' where we live in the summer, doesn't even allow pickup trucks let alone parking a trailer there all winter! (And no, I checked the dimensions, a trailer wouldn't fit inside, sadly) I have a place to keep it in TX, its just getting it back and forth that would be the pain!

Trailer parking/storage can be a pain, it's true. I can't keep mine at home either (or at least, not without doing some serious yard renovation) but so far I've been able to keep it at the barn(s) where I boarded. In one case I had to pay for the privilege, but it was nice to have it on site - it made packing for shows so much more convenient.

LovesIt
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:38 PM
Trailer parking/storage can be a pain, it's true. I can't keep mine at home either (or at least, not without doing some serious yard renovation) but so far I've been able to keep it at the barn(s) where I boarded. In one case I had to pay for the privilege, but it was nice to have it on site - it made packing for shows so much more convenient.

Yup, I wish I could just leave it at a barn up there all winter! But alas, something would inevitably go wrong, and it would roll down a hill and crash into a pond or something! Plus, leaving it somewhere where people know you won't be around for 8 months, it might 'happen' to get used... oh well - still have a few more months to figure all of this out!

Actually- have you ever head of a service that would drive your trailer with your horse in it? Like they do with cars?

Sithly
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:56 PM
IME, renting a truck equipped to tow is prohibitively expensive. If you already have the truck, you're golden. I wouldn't worry as much about the trailer; it's the lesser evil. ;)

When I did the math, it worked out in my favor to buy a trailer (YMMV - Your Math May Vary. :lol:). Rentals around here are $50-65 per day, or $100-150 for the weekend. If you're patient and enjoy monitoring Craigslist, you can buy a good, usable, no-frills trailer for around $2000. Less if you're willing to put some work into it. I got mine for $1000 and put a new floor in it for a couple hundred more. Now I own my own trailer for the cost of a few weekend rentals.

One thing to consider if you're showing is how early the rental place opens, and whether they'll charge you for two days if you need to pick the trailer up the night before. I know when I show, I'm usually up in the wee hours. It wouldn't work out for me to pick up the trailer when the rental place opens, drive out to the barn, load tack and horses, and make it to the show in time. Depending on the policy of the rental place, that could potentially double your cost.

I store my trailer at the barn, but I agree, it would be a huge pain if you couldn't do that. If you had to pay for storage, that could quickly tip the balance of math towards renting.

LookinSouth
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:20 PM
CT Trailers in Bolton, CT rents them, although I'm not sure about long-term. I know they do it by the day.

CT Trailers in Bolton does rent trailers. However, the cost is 150.00 per day. I think it would be much less costly to buy an older but safe and functional trailer, you can probably find something around 2k if you know where too look. Ask your friends too. I bought an older trailer last summer off a friend for 500.00. It needed paint and some work on the frame but was functional. We put about 1.5k of work into it over the past year and now it looks like a new trailer.

As another person mentioned having the TRUCK to haul the trailer is the biggest expense and most costly to maintain. The trailer is cake.

juniormom
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:13 AM
Be sure to check the floors if you rent a trailer! Have you considered leasing one from a friend or having a friend trailer your horse for you? We used to carry a friend's horse to shows and they paid our gas. That worked out well. Good luck! :)