PDA

View Full Version : Critique me, please!

Haven'tJumpedInALongTime
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:28 AM
OK, the back story. I had just started taking jumping lessons. This was my first show. I was on my trainer's Standardbred x TB gelding who was an old pro. He caught my nerves, though, and acted like the jumps were going to eat him! It was so embarrassing - he refused every jump and when I finally got him over one, everyone clapped! This picture is from 15 years ago, but I'd like to get opinions. I see obvious issues, but would like to hear from you guys! You can comment on the horse, too. He's deceased now, as is my trainer. :cry:

Thanks, all!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=51vugcc.5ofv7ywo&x=0&h=1&y=-arcon4&localeid=en_US

Spud&Saf
Dec. 30, 2009, 03:43 PM
Ok, here is what I see - too long a stirrup, leading to jumping ahead, which leads to laying on the neck and the lower leg slipping back as a result. Haven't we all been here te he? :yes:

So as usual, shortening the stirrup, tightening the lower leg and keeping the eyes up while letting the horse jump up to you will fix this.

Back is fairly flat and crest release is nice - no hands floating on top of the neck.

wsmoak
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=51vugcc.5ofv7ywo&x=0&h=1&y=-arcon4&localeid=en_US

Was that taken at WestWorld in Scottsdale, AZ?

doublesstable
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:14 PM
My first thought was helmet.... I would get a GPA or a Charles Owen that fits you with a harness. But as you said it's a 15 year old pic.

Release is nice and you look like you have the same issue I have. I learned to ride many years ago and was quite competitive in the 80's..... things were different horses were different and training was different.

Today with the influx of WB's you can ride with the calf. It really helps. I see in the pix you need to weight your heels more and use the upper part of your calf. If you pinch w/ knee this will make your upper body go on the neck. it doesn't look like you are pinching but your calf should be at the girth. And I can see your saddle is of that time and no knee rolls. Knee rolls are nice....

Try sitting up more with your chest to the fence riding w/ more leg to the base.. expecially w/ a horse that is refusing. Look at the arena railing straight ahead; don' t look at your jump.

Post some pix of current maybe that will help.

Haven'tJumpedInALongTime
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:38 PM
Was that taken at WestWorld in Scottsdale, AZ?

How on earth did you recognize that???

Do you remember Shelby Shank? I started jumping with her, and the horse in the photo was Danny, her horse.

Haven'tJumpedInALongTime
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:40 PM
And I can see your saddle is of that time and no knee rolls. Knee rolls are nice....

Post some pix of current maybe that will help.

Yes, I now have a saddle with knee rolls! I have nothing current - I haven't jumped for a number of years now. I'm starting back up and will start lessons soon. I'll ask for another critique when I have some time under my belt!

Thank you!

wsmoak
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:55 PM
How on earth did you recognize that???

LOL... I've shot some shows there before and have a ton of pics with the *same* mountain and power lines in the background. I wasn't here/involved with the H/J scene that long ago to recognize your trainer though. :)

Haven'tJumpedInALongTime
Dec. 30, 2009, 05:56 PM
LOL... I've shot some shows there before and have a ton of pics with the *same* mountain and power lines in the background. I wasn't here/involved with the H/J scene that long ago to recognize your trainer though. :)

That's funny! I take it you're a photographer, or did you mean you've been shot there before?

Shelby died quite a few years ago from cancer. She was so sweet and totally took me by the hand.

mortebella
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
No critique, just wanted to say I love the horse. Handsome head, and just adorable expression! :)

wsmoak
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:03 PM
That's funny! I take it you're a photographer, or did you mean you've been shot there before?

I haven't competed there, but in years past I'd go up and take pictures. (Not as the official photographer, just for practice.) I haven't been in years!

Haven'tJumpedInALongTime
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:30 PM
I haven't competed there, but in years past I'd go up and take pictures. (Not as the official photographer, just for practice.) I haven't been in years!

I'm sure it's changed a LOT from when you were there last!

gooselover
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:21 PM
That helmet is, of course, the old type we used to wear years and years ago. In fact, I still have mine! But, for safety's sake - please get a good Charles Owen or similar with a harness!

Haven'tJumpedInALongTime
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:12 AM
That helmet is, of course, the old type we used to wear years and years ago. In fact, I still have mine! But, for safety's sake - please get a good Charles Owen or similar with a harness!

I will! I have a good practice one, but since I haven't shown over fences in many years, I don't have a show one. Thanks for the recommendation!