PDA

View Full Version : Will this help!!!!

Grizzleycheddar
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:45 AM
My friend has a racehorse that has problems from racing. One of which is his front splits. Instead of having them injected like he has had many times would a good blister work. Any feedback would be great thanks so much.

Barnfairy
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:55 AM
If you had shin splints, and I burned your skin, do you think that would make you feel better? Well, if that burn caused you to rest for a while....you might think the blister worked.

Rest, rest, anti-inflammatories, rest.

judybigredpony
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:58 AM
Ummmm...splits or Splints.
How old are the Splints??? Are they active and hot or old n cold.
If they are old and still bother the horse the vet and an x-ray are in order before proceeding.

If new the best remedy really is cold therapy and TIME.........

Laurierace
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:17 PM
I too am not sure what you are talking about. To me front splits are the early fractions in a race. You certainly can't inject that. Splints should not bother the horse ever again in his lifetime if given the 30 days or so they need to heal. The only reason they would still be a problem is if the bone itself is broken or it has healed in such a way that its pressing on the suspensory. The only cure for either of those is surgery not injection or even time off.

Grizzleycheddar
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:29 AM
The vet came and he is going to pinfire them next week.

jengersnap
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:06 AM
Are you taking shin splints?? "Front splits" sound very painful for a horse to do. Heck, trying to do splits is very painful for me too. My filly came with a shin splint, it was given time and set itself and should never be a bother again. People can get them too from repetitive hard concussion. The ligament between the cannon bone and the splint bone becomes inflammed due to repetitive concussion in training and thus the pain. The two bones need time to ossify. Pin firing is kind of like leeches. Yeah there may be some therapeudic benefit to irritating the area further with lots of little red hot pokers, but in the end the lay up of the horse to recover from the firing is the same lay up that probably would have set the splint if they were given the time off to begin with. And you've got an ugly bunch of dots on the leg to show for it.

caffeinated
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:10 AM
Bucked shins? Cold therapy and time off would probably be the best bet, wouldn't it?

I'm sort of amazed they still do pinfiring - hasn't it been shown that time off yields the same result, and that the therapeutic effect of the firing is essentially from the time off to recuperate from that procedure?