PDA

View Full Version : Recommended reading for a H/J before a WS at for an eventer?

Beau Cheval
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:41 PM
I cross posted this on H/J (actually I think I clicked the wrong bookmark and posted it there by accident lol)

The title pretty much says it, but what books/videos would you recommend for someone with a primarily H/J background prior to a WS for an eventer? I want to be as prepared as I possibly can when I arrive so that I can quickly start learning things I couldn't learn on my own and make the best possible use out of my time there.

Thanks!

VicariousRider
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:48 PM
Rather than reading:

IMHO, I suggest that you take a handful of dressage lessons on a horse that knows basic dressage. That would be a better investment in my mind than reading material. That will familiarize you best with the equipment and the basics of the phase of eventing with which you have the least experience. The x-c and stadium basics will relate to what you already know from H-J but a little intro to dressage will give you a big leg up.

Good luck! I think you will love it.

rideforthelaurels16
Dec. 30, 2009, 01:36 AM
I agree. Get comfortable sitting deep, and riding with either really short or really long stirrups, haha! :) Brush up on your equine management knowledge too - the "Pony Club" stuff - knowing how to bandage, medicate, etc. will be invaluable to you!
But most of all, be prepared to have one of the best experiences of your life! Take opportunities as they come, and be open to learning every second of every day. You really will get out what you put in! :) And if it gets tough - STICK IT OUT! I'm so glad I did...the rewards were better than I could ever have imagined. :)

secretariat
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:34 AM
Nusser, "In Service to the Horse"
Wofford, "Training the Three-day Event Horse and Rider"
Funnell, "Training the Young Horse"
Green, "Cross Country Riding"
Phillips, "Horse and Hound Book of Eventing"
Morris, "Hunter Seat Equitation" (Yes, even for eventers should be required reading)
Todd, "So Far, So Good"
Nicholson, "Training the Cross Country Horse."

I also enjoyed reading Bruce Davidson's book on the 1978 world championships at Kentucky but it's at Megan's and couldn't find the reference here.

Good reading!

CookiePony
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:00 AM
As someone who loves to read and learn by reading, I think it is a great idea to read up.

Something that is very quick and fun to read is Wofford's 101 EVENTING TIPS. I also highly recommend his classic TRAINING THE THREE DAY EVENT HORSE AND RIDER.

subk
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:30 AM
It's kind of funny, but as I look at my horsie library there is very little that is eventing specific. Woffords, "Training the 3-day Horse is Rider" is one of the few eventing books I own and would be my top suggestion if you were just going to read one book. It will give you a good basis of all three phases, equipment (sort of as he is a "less is more" kinda guy) and conditioning. http://www.amazon.com/Training-Three-day-Event-Horse-Rider/dp/1564161773/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262186390&sr=1-1
(For some reason this book is very expensive on amazon but at places like Dover Saddlery you can still get it at a normal price. But still go to amazon and read the reviews--one of the best amazon reviews of all time is on this book!)

The next book I'd read is one called "Event Groom's Handbook" by Jeanne Kane. I think the latest addition is 20 years old so be forewarned that many of the rules have changed, but I still think you would find a lot of useful information in it. http://www.amazon.com/Event-Grooms-Handbook-Horse-Rider/dp/0961249021/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262186156&sr=8-1

The third book I'd read--mostly because I "discovered" this book a year ago after reading this type of material for 30 years and I'm still excited about it--is "Riding Logic" by W. Museler. It's an absolute classic.

You can get all these books for the same price as a good dressage lesson...

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I'd love to here WS stories from about H/Jer discovering Eventerland!

curlykarot
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
The rulebook! There are 5 million ways to get eliminated at an event. Even if you aren't riding, there are rules grooms need to know if you are the only one tacking up the horse.

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=rulebook

event101
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:26 AM
I would see if you could get some cheap used dressage or eventing books online. I like "Practical Eventing" and "Common Sense Dressage" by Sally O'Connor, "Schooling for Success" by William Fox-Pitt, and anything Wofford.

I'm sure you could find some good articles on-line too. This is off the USEA website:
http://www.useventing.com/resources/files/docs/TheStartingBox.pdf

Just keep an open mind, be prepared to work your butt off, and I'm sure you will learn a lot as a WS! I learned tons while working for an upper level eventer and at the time I had only done local open shows. The biggest key to your success will be a good attitude and work ethic!

mugsgame
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:42 AM
This is my favourite book and I have most of them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blyth-Taits-Cross-Country-Clinic-Tait/dp/1872119743/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262191179&sr=1-1

Virginia Leng's training the event horse is one of the most comprehensive and has a guide to everything including care, fitness, training and at the event.

JanWeber
Dec. 30, 2009, 03:23 PM
The Rider's Eye DVD by Jim Wofford and Doug Payne. A helmet cam's-eye view of XC - it'll help you know what all the fuss is about...