View Full Version : Coverall or Fabric Arena?

Dec. 29, 2009, 07:15 PM
Anybody have one? Thoughts?

Dec. 29, 2009, 07:21 PM
We have a Coverall for our indoor. It does us good, but we have decided that when it is time to upgrade, we aren't getting another one.

Being in new england, snow has been a problem. Snow falling down make a loud zipping noise that scares a lot of the horses, Most of them learn to get over it, but some can be special.

Also, it tends to "rain" inside whenever it is humid out. The condensation on the roof falls down, and at times it will seem like it is literally raining inside.

I do love how bright it is inside though. It is very peaceful and can almost put you to sleep. And when it is hot it stays cooler, and when it is cold it is slightly warmer.

Dec. 29, 2009, 07:53 PM
howdoilook- is the snow sliding louder than a regular indoor?

Dec. 29, 2009, 08:57 PM
much louder. At other indoors ive been at you cant really hear it. or just a small sliding noise. This is a loud zipping noise. And because it continues down the whole side of the indoor it is long.

Sometimes the horses get over it. But sometimes there are special ones who never quite learn to get over it.

Dec. 29, 2009, 09:43 PM
I had loved the one I rode in at my trainers barn, but when I priced it, it was more. I also couldn't find anybody who had one for over 5 years yet to see what an older one was like. In addition, we figured over the long run they would depreciate, rather than helping my property values since it is fabric and will break down.

Dec. 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have a Cover All. I really like it. I totally disagree with the snow slide noise... it is no more than a pole barn indoor arena, not at all. Doesn't affect the horses. Ours is set up on 8 foot wood walls, so maybe the shorter distance is the key, not so far to slide. The daytime light is superb. It is wearing very well. We chose to have 50 feet on each side of our indoor as a "curtain wall" so the sides from 4 feet to 8 feet can open during the summer and it is like riding in a pavilion.

The only reason why I would not build one again is it is not heatable. It is much cooler in the summer and SLIGHTLY solar heated in the winter. It is warmer and less humid than a pole barn, but not like a heated barn.

Ours is not just indoor, but we also have two aisles of stalls.

Dec. 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
I looked at a few- have ridden in a few. My main turnoff was that atleast in my area, they are cost prohibitive at the size I was looking into. The price for the coverall in the size range I wanted was close to $75,000 more than a steel or wood framed structure @ 100x200 (give or take a little)

I reccommend calling Coverall and ClearSpan.. the people that answer the phones are extremely helpful and helping you to decide if its a suitable option for you.

BTW- IIRC ClearSpan was much cheaper than Coverall.

Dec. 30, 2009, 12:29 AM
I looked into it in 2005 when I prospected buying horse property in New England. Anyway when all was said and done it was about 10% more than the cost of building a structure. The benefit was that I could have it classified as a temporary structure (factor in zoning regulations in the area I was looking to buy). The prep for it was pretty much the same as a building.

Anyway the folks at Coverall were super helpful.

Dec. 30, 2009, 01:26 AM
The coverall that I have ridden in is a million times worse in the winter than a regular old indoor. THe snow zipping down the side is much louder and the horses freak. Also because it is fabric you can't just climb up on a ladder and brush the snow off like you can on a regular indoor.

I also find that riding in a coverall when it is windy is downright scary! I think I was more affraid than the horse I was riding...at least he got ear plugs!

Dec. 30, 2009, 01:39 AM
:lol:Ok.. so after reading all this.. can someone recommend a good steel arena building company???

Dec. 30, 2009, 01:38 PM
Try WeCover structures.

I ride in an arena built by them and the fabric never flaps around in the wind, but there is however, the zipping noise of the snow coming off the roof in the winter... this doesn't bother all horses though.

Good luck!

Dec. 30, 2009, 01:56 PM
She lives in Dallas, not too much worry about alot snow =).

Dec. 30, 2009, 03:26 PM
We have one that is 5 yrs old. At the time, it was significantly cheaper than a conventional building and went up a lot faster. The snow zipping noise is freaky but most of the horses are used to it. The wind, however, is a different matter. At times, when it is very gusty, the structure groans. One of our boarders equated it to the sound the Titanic made when it was sinking! Again, the horses get used to it and the people spook more than the horses do.

Overall, we like it. It required minimal lights and there are no dark corners. Ours is built on top of a 10' wall and we have many windows that open as well as big doors on each end. I think it is warmer than a conventiona (unheated) building. On a cold day with the sun shining and 4 horses working in there it is almost toasty. As well, because of all the windows, you can ride in it during mid day during the summer and it is pleasant. It gets you out of the sun yet allows for great ventilation. We have never had the condensation problem that others have mentioned.

Dec. 30, 2009, 05:02 PM
I've ridden in traditional pole arenas that had the same condensation issues at certain times of the year.

The natural lighting is divine, and at night, when lit the white walls reflect light too, but I'd talk to people in your area that have them about the pros and cons.

Dec. 31, 2009, 11:31 AM
i rode in alot of coveralls in canada. they are very popular up there and it snows alot up there so i would think they would not be popular if they were a problem with the snow.
it is so peaceful and inviting in a coverall arena. whereas in regular indoor arenas they can be dingy. if i had to build an indoor ring i would love to have a coverall.

Dec. 31, 2009, 11:43 AM
:lol:Ok.. so after reading all this.. can someone recommend a good steel arena building company???

Try these, they are right around Dallas, TX:

Jan. 13, 2010, 12:28 PM
Oh, apologies for bringing up this thread up again after so long, but I forgot something.

The internal HEIGHT is wonderful! Ours is 32 feet tall inside. It is going to allow us to put an amazing bi-level cathedral ceiling lounge above the center aisle of stalls.